Who cares?

2»

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Let's just say that there are some of us who are HOT about finding cancer cures. We do not think the world is ending for each of US when the folding hangs or someone has other problems with thier computer. I did not yell when I had to get my Windows client on one of my folding boxes to try to resend for an hour, but I did it because MANY folks die of cancer each year and folding has the potential to find ways of NOT letting cells bacome cancerous, and to treat certain kinds with precision.

Stanford, by running Folding at Home, not only feeds data to chemists and physicians of research caliber who take the data to be able to pinpoint what routes of treatment can stop particular cell malformations (many of which result in cancerous growths, one form of which killed one of my grandmothers and one form of which killed my father after taking his voice in its entirety and then attacked his brain-- both people died AT HOME and took MONTHS to do so, both had lives with good and bad, both had treatments that nearly killed them because not enough was klnown about cancer, and in my town of mostly older folks(2\3 of the towns population is retirees from points North of Florida) about 500 died of one form or another of cancer in the last 12 months alone. I bet lots of folks fold for reasons like that (friend, friend's dad or grandpa or grandma or uncle or aunt passed away of cancer) and hang here and are fired UP about killing a class of things(cells going wild) that can take THOUSANDS of detailed forms WITHOUT killing the patient.

We care cuz we saw parts of the problem first hand. 80% of cancer cases are NOT caught in time and when found are NOT curable-- all the doctors can do is try to kill the pain. Hundreds of thousands worldwide die of some form of cancer each year, adn we can repair hearts better than we can attack cancer because cancer is of many forms and can happen many ways. If we were to publicly fund (via government sponsored research) cancer research that is done by folding as volunteers, the bill would come in at many billions of dollars to get results in this generation for more than 3 kinds of the hundreds of kinds of cancer. So, the volunteers help do it-- we help so others do not have to die as our loved or known ones HAVE died, and in some cases, died in our arms literally. My reason for committing to folding has zilch to do with points, it has to do with maybe MOM not dying in may arms also, or the local minister, or the mayor, or one of my clients who is battling laringeal cancer now and is a friend.

We fold cuz we care about other folks, not just for points, but points tell us if someone has problems with their computer and this is also a tech site. FYI, folding also is a very good way to BURN IN a computer also, as long as basic hardware function testing is also done. Because we and the medical and chemical researchers do not know exactly what causes each form is NOT a reason to give up, because giving up GUARANTEES failure. Instead, doing SOMETHING gives us hope that A WAY can be found that might save thousands of lives over a generation, or more.

Maybe some want a slight power\ego thing alos, but those tend not to stick with it when the bills come in unless they are also committed for other reasons. Many of us HAVE other reasons also, and that is the inner drive we feel uncomfortable talking about. Let's see, Grandma lived at home for 12 months, and her cancer was inoperable and was CNS (Central Nervous System) cancer as well as lung cancer.

Dad died over 2.5 years, tumours grew near spinal column and in lower jaw, and when one was BURNED out chemically and with radiation, another formed higher up closer to his brain-- then another, and that one doctors at a hospital specializing in cancer treatment (there is none here) tried to kill with chemicals injected into the tumour area as no ohter treatment could be found that would not kill him instantly. The arterial tube they used (starting at his femoral artery and going up to his jaw) knocked loose a few calcified arterial buildups, and he had a stroke on the operating table. Voice gone, partly paralized, he managed to get home via air, and after getting home he was down in the dumps and finally refused all treatment. Dad was an attorney, very persuasive, and suddenly his best professional and personal persuasive tool was GONE totally (he could scream, but the stroke had taken out his verbla processing areas in his brain). Took 5 months AFTER the stroke for him to die and I was up at all hours and my mother also for that time frame and we averaged 4-5 hours a night sleep for that time frame. Dad had hallucinations for 4 of the last 5 months. That is my personal answer, and it is given to try to help others to see why folding and cancer research in general is so important.

I am not angry, just all fired up to say FOLD ON!!! :|

John-- who will hope until the end of his life here on earth, and sees some strides being made in less dangerous ways of IDing cancer early and more pinpointed and less KILLING ways of stopping it.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited October 2003
    primesuspect said

Boy, I'm confused now.... :scratch:

bothered goes into edit mode and is glad his user name isn't interesting.;D
  • edited October 2003
    seversphere said
    I love catching shoepick on light tackle!

[Thread Hijack]You are right about that! I worked a day check job off of the Baton Rouge side of the Atchafalaya levee back in the 80's that hadn't been fished in 20 years and you could catch all the shoepick and bass and anything else on plastic worms you wanted. I would come out of that location just about every day with an ice chest full of shoepick, bass, goggleye and bream. Hell, one day a Company Rep even caught a 3 foot alligator with a plastic worm!:eek3: [/Thread Hijack]

You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread.:D
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2003
    One more thread Hijack:

csimon, WTF is that fish? It's driving me nuts because I've kept aquariums for years, and I know I've seen it somewhere before, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. I want to say it's some kind of a snakehead, but I don't think the fins aren't quite right for it to be a Channa sp.

//End Hijack
  • edited October 2003
    the name of the fish is in the picture "choupique"
    the folding choupique!
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    If you don't like the thread, don't read it.
    How easy is that?

Dosman, why don't you turn off SETI for awhile and try Folding and see what it's all about? I promise you it's a lot more exciting.

:)
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited October 2003
    Thrax said
    Agreed. Despite the statements of some along the lines of "We do it to help the community. Competition is just a bonus..."

It sure seems like some of these "OMFG WHERE SI TEH xxxx MEMBER OF SI FOLDINZG?!!?!?!?!11@#$@#$" threads are poorly-guised topics whining about the loss of a member beyond their control.

Particuarly in reference to BDR. Every time I turn around, she's giving a few points to another team as she is allowed to do, and people flip out.

For something all being in the spirit of the project, sure seems point-greedy around here.

Some of you may think that the threads are "Checking up" and "Caring." I really don't see anything but "OMFG. YOU CAN'T GIVE POINTS TO ANOTHER TEAM." threads.

:shakehead
    I never thought I'd say this but I must agree with you.
    Pretty much the same thing was going on at ICF and I got fed up of it so I quitted the team. I always said I didn't care about the points and that I was doing it for humanity so I started folding on my own. Since then, I have contributed more to the project than some of the so called "competitive" members around here. I wish they'd put their money where their mouth is and stop being so hypocrite...

Note to team leaders: if you don't mind, I'd like to see my name on the USA map.
    After all, one of my rigs never stopped folding for #93... :nudge:
  • edited October 2003
    Geeky1 said
    One more thread Hijack:

csimon, WTF is that fish? It's driving me nuts because I've kept aquariums for years, and I know I've seen it somewhere before, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. I want to say it's some kind of a snakehead, but I don't think the fins aren't quite right for it to be a Channa sp.

//End Hijack

seversphere said
    the name of the fish is in the picture "choupique"
    the folding choupique!

Geeky, you also might have heard of this fish as a Grennel, which it is called in other areas of the country. It is related to the garfish, I believe.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    EQ: PM TD and t1 with your zip code so they can add it.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Leonardo said
    Enough talk, let's :fold::fold::fold:

Crud! And I was just starting to get cranked up for making fun of spectator sports!

That sounds like me!

When I go to the store or the bank or something and someone asks about some game somewhere I just look 'em hard in the eye and say; "Spectator sports are for weenies who don't have a life, so since I have one I don't care about it!" They usually don't even bother to try for an excuse. My wife says I'm a sprtsman not a sports fan. :tongue:
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    if there was no competition...iw ouldnt have 4 comps in my dorm room....enough said
    edited October 2003
    csimon;

yeah, I'm actually not familiar with either name, so I googled it. It's also known as a bowfin, which I've seen before. They're interesting fish...

Anyhow, about the competition... I think it's important in that it keeps it interesting, but it's not a real important part of why I do it. I fold because it's for a good cause. I'd actually rather run SETI, because space has always interested me, but I think it's more important to cure cancer than it is to find aliens, so I run F@H instead.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I'm so tired of people bashing on F@H members because they seem to think we SHOULDNT be proud of our competition. If some of us do have so many computers BECAUSE of competition, then what's the problem? I like the competition for one, and I'm glad to be helping out the project. I'll be the first to admit, if it wasn't for the points/stats program, I wouldn't go out and actively try to add more machines to my arsenal, its fun for me. Is there something wrong with that? I like the competition, I get more machines for the project which gives me more points and stanford more folding results, everybody's happy. Why complain?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    The bashing isn't from being proud, its from the fact that it seems to have become way too much of an obsession to be healthy.

NS
    edited October 2003
    Ns, I'm pretty sure that most/all of the people on this site (myself included) have an unhealthy obsession with technology in general anyhow, so another unhealthy obsession isn't gonna hurt anything.... ;D
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    Unhealthy obsession or healthy enthusiasm.

I guess it depends on how you look at it.

I prefer to view it as enthusiasm.

:fold::)
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited October 2003
    While I enjoy the points/competition part of it to a degree, the real reason I fold can be found here.

Let's not lose sight of why the F@H program exists. :)

I agree that some times, some people get carried away with the points, but I guess that's part of the competition. I don't care what team anybody folds for when it gets right down to it. That's not the important part.
  • BuiesCreek847BuiesCreek847 In a van, down by the river, NC Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    We could be collecting stamps. :rolleyes:
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited October 2003
    Hey Buies. You guys have been doing pretty well lately! We wanted to catch Ars (and still do) so we can eat some egg rolls, but you guys are giving us a fight too.

:fold: on!