HP dv8000t Taken Apart

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited December 2009 in Hardware
Well Myself and MackOCZ decided to see if a CPU upgrade is possible when the new Intel Meron chips roll out. Well to get to the CPU in the dv8000t is not a simple task... But it is possible and now I know how to clean this bad boy after a few years of use. I also want to note we replaced the CPU Thermal grease with Artic Silver 5 :)

I suggest not trying this at home unless you know what you’re doing....

attachment.php?attachmentid=20477&d=1151282508

If you have any questions in regards to the dv8000t being disassembled feel free to post here.

Comments

• edited June 2006
    Cool, you got that puppy stripped down. :thumbsup:
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    u guys are nuking futs! i wish i was there for that!!!11
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    It was one of the hardest and time consuming disassembling I have ever done.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Wow, that is an impressive photo.

Are you planning to write an article about the teardown?
    edited June 2006
    A few more images of the massive fun....
    edited June 2006
    I was thinking of it... but I might do an article on how to upgrade your Core Duo CPU.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I was thinking of it... but I might do an article on how to upgrade your Core Duo CPU.

That would be pretty freakin' sweet. I love articles that set S-M apart from the other tech sites, and that would be one of them.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Don't tell HP that he used Sauza Gold Tequila to clean the old heatsink gunk off ;)
    smlan2006.36.jpg
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    lol, why are you wasting the good stuff on a HEATSINK!! crazy man!! rubbing alcohol is much cheaper.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    [strike]Gigantor[/strike] I mean Sledge

Let me know when you figure out where the extra screws came from. OK?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Good thing you had some great coaching :D;);D
    edited June 2006
    Don't tell HP that he used Sauza Gold Tequila to clean the old heatsink gunk off ;)

It was the last resort... We had nothing else to use... I think the goal was each dip with the Q-Tip you had to take a swig of Tequila and than wipe the CPU...
    edited June 2006
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    [strike]Gigantor[/strike] I mean Sledge

Let me know when you figure out where the extra screws came from. OK?

What screws...????
    edited June 2006
    What screws...????
    Oh, I remember now. You put them in that glass of water so they wouldn't get lost. Then the glass almost got knocked over and it was removed from the table. ;)
  • edited June 2006
    Were you able to find the GPU? If you did do you have any pics?
    edited June 2006
    Yes the GPU is under the Grey Block to the right "look behind the cable with the red sleeve... It is non removeable....

attachment.php?attachmentid=20480&d=1151331477
    edited June 2006
    cridgit001 wrote:
    Were you able to find the GPU? If you did do you have any pics?
    He was able to locate the GPU but it would have been much more involved to get the HSF off od it. His initial quest was to see how accessable the CPU was so that he could update it to a Merom when they arrive. See here.
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited October 2006
    wow...that thing got stripped...lol..so many parts to a computer...wow...:thumbsup:...
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited October 2006
    ive been inspired also...now where is my comp?? ;)
  • edited October 2006
    Hey, is that an HP security card you found in the notebook (between hard drives and mouse in the pic)?!? Bet that could come in handy when you want to wander around the HP production plant... Oh wait, that would require a trip to Singapore or such. Better start saving up those frequent flyer miles.

:cheers:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    It's actually an ID card for the Short-Media LAN parties we hold annually. :)
  • edited October 2006
    Well Myself and MackOCZ decided to see if a CPU upgrade is possible when the new Intel Meron chips roll out. Well to get to the CPU in the dv8000t is not a simple task... But it is possible and now I know how to clean this bad boy after a few years of use. I also want to note we replaced the CPU Thermal grease with Artic Silver 5 :)

I suggest not trying this at home unless you know what you’re doing....

If you have any questions in regards to the dv8000t being disassembled feel free to post here.

125382.png

this is my processor, but it says it is 479mPGA, but the removable (i think) core 2 duos are 478 mPGA,

the number of pins are different, how did u come across this>
    edited October 2006
    Core™2 Duo Mobile processors (T7000 & T5000 Families)

The Core™ 2 Duo Mobile processor family consists of five processors currently: the T7600, T7400, T7200, T5600, and T5500. They run at clock speeds from 2.33 GHz all the way down to 1.66 GHz. The T5600 and T5500 are equipped with a 2MB L2 cache and the T7x00 models have a 4MB L2 cache. All five of these new mobile processors use Intel's 65 nm manufacturing technology packing 291M transistors into a die size of approximately 143mm2. Like the previous Core™ Duo, the Core™ 2 Duo processors utilize a 667 MHz front-side bus, and support DDR2-667 SODIMM memory. These Core™ 2 Duo processors voltage draw ranges from 1.0375V to 1.3V, are rated at 34W thermal design power (TDP), have a thermal specification of 100°C, and use the standard mPGA 479-pin socket (Socket M) found in all current "Napa" (945GM/PM) BTO notebooks.

Don't know where your reading about a 478 mPGA.. as the 478 CPU is a P4
  • edited October 2006
    Don't know where your reading about a 478 mPGA.. as the 478 CPU is a P4

it read it in this intel document about core 2 duo section 4.1

maybe i am reading something else :scratch:
    edited October 2006
    The above blurp is also form Intels site :)

As far as I can tell the Pentium 4 Northwood was based on the 478 mPGA

The New Core 2 Duo Notebook chips are on the 479 as seen here:

core2image.jpg
  • edited October 2006
    u got it from here? but that's not intel's website

if u look at intel's specs finder

u will see that each is offered in two different packages the 478 & 479, and according to that document i mentioned about, says the 479 is BGA (soldered) and 478 is PGA (removable)

and u made the processor upgrade and it is 479, this is very confusing :scratch::scratch::scratch:
    edited October 2006
    My laptop reads the socket as a 479.... and not a 478 and it is very removable. I am not sure what else you want me to say? I am only reporting what I have done and what my Laptop is telling me. I didn't do anything special to make it work differently, just dL'ed & installed HP's bios update. either which way it would probably been cheaper to take a loss on selling my laptop and buying a new laptop from HP that comes with the CPU....
  • edited October 2006
    My laptop reads the socket as a 479.... and not a 478 and it is very removable. I am not sure what else you want me to say? I am only reporting what I have done and what my Laptop is telling me. I didn't do anything special to make it work differently, just dL'ed & installed HP's bios update. either which way it would probably been cheaper to take a loss on selling my laptop and buying a new laptop from HP that comes with the CPU....

i am not asking u to say anything, i am just sharing what i found from here and there

so maybe someone got an answer/explanation for all of that :)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Hey sledge, I am LOST.... what are you trying to accomplish? I checked into possibly upgrading my Pentium M to a Core 2... I have the proper socket but was told the Intel chipset will not support the new processor :(

If it is possible THEN I WOULD LOVE TO SPEND MONEY!
    edited October 2006
    In all my research and my testing, I contacted HP they said it was possible but not recommended "due to they don't like users breaking apart their systems" I checked the chipset and the bios, which they all support the C2D's so I purchased a C2D, re broke down my laptop as I did in the above image, and dropped the chip in. Now if the chip was a 478 or a 479 to fact stands that when I put the Laptop back together again it worked. Now this is on a DV8000t not a dv5000t, the dv5000t from what I have learned in the past has a way different build...

But over all the 64bit boost I think is the only think I can say was worth the upgrade, as if you even ask other SM guys that saw & helped me break this thing apart would agree that there was times when this sucker just about broke. Even taking it apart a few times I still had to force and pull things to the point I was afraid it was going to break... so be advised if you try this, be very careful.