Sm Lan Food Vote

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2003 in Gaming
Okay, the SM LAN committee has come up against a roadblock, and that is FOOD for the event.

We have a few options:

1) Every man for himself.

2) We could cater the event, but we would need to charge a small amount per person for catering.

3) We could do a combo: Cater two meals ( "lunch" for both days) and the rest of the time, every man for himself.

4) Mondi has very graciously offered to grill for us. I'll probably be able to supply a couple of grills. However, everybody would have to purchase their own meat. We would arrange this beforehand, so that you don't have to drive/fly with meat ;)

If we cater, I have a couple of ideas:

I have a good friend who has an authentic Indian food catering business. The food is excellent, highly varied, and can be served both "authentic" or "americanize" (read: kinda hot or not really hot).

We can have Mr. Pita party trays: CHEAP, good, and easy to serve. Unwrap, eat, throw away wrapper.. mmmm. lots of varieties too (greek, club, italian, veggie, etc.)

Several 6' party subs from some sub shop

There's always pizza.

What say you?

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    all sounds good, but i will wait till others to say something first and then i will say what i would like.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I'm up for a few bucks so I don't have to worry about grub.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I'm thinking we can cater one or two meals, have Mondi grill for us for a "finale" party, and the rest is up to each person.

Although I would like to arrange one trip to a fantastically amazing breakfast place in Grosse Pointe. It's too good to miss for a lot of the out of towners (The Original Pancake House) If you haven't been there, it is without a doubt one of the premiere breakfast spots in the state, if not the country. I can see a trip of 40 of us going there no problem. :D
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    sweet, i love breakfast most out of all the meals of the days.

what time we talking about for breakfast?? 11:00 Am?? hahah
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited October 2003
    The combo seems best mostly cause I'll prolly have breakfast at my house, but it won't make people get lost in the D and find themselves on the Cass Coridoor. Although comedic in thought.....lol...dorks on the cass coridoor.....I tink it might be wise to keep our pasty white asses out of there.

Oh.....I'm sure some of these guys wouldn't mind a true taste of middle eastern cuisine....maybe get a platter of food from a 'rab joint.
    edited October 2003
    oh come on now. The cass corridor isn't so bad :rolleyes:

Now 6 & Gratiot, THAT'S another story.
    edited October 2003
    lol....i've been lost VERY close to there before...that is definitely one of those stop sign/red light optional areas....as is much of Detroit.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    catering count me in on that! Ill toss some bucks in!
    edited October 2003
    Heheh the planning committee just wiped out a village platter at Kebob Village yesterday. Down to the plate :)
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    Catering pizza, subs and pitas sounds like a wonderful idea. Saves us "out of towners" from having to drive around looking for eats. :)
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited October 2003
    At my lans, pizza and Mountain Dew seem to be the answer. Although its for adults, lan and pizza go together like lamb and tuna fish. Or maybe you'd prefer spaghetti and meatball.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I will follow the masses whichever way it goes. Catering a meal or two sounds good. I definitely like the Pancake House idea. Going out to some restaurant one night would be fun too I think.
    edited October 2003
    primesuspect said
    Heheh the planning committee just wiped out a village platter at Kebob Village yesterday. Down to the plate :)

I work NEXT door guys! C'mon...next time stop by or at least invite me to poke fun at pseudonym with you!
    edited October 2003
    Rolling into a breakfast house early in the morning with even 7 of your friends from a LAN party is a blast. Just because everyone's on the same wavelength and in a great mood.

Fourty of us would be absolutely great.

Same for dinner. I would love to share one good meal with you guys, and what better than a sit down dinner?
  • edited October 2003
    I'm all for catering. Besides, you'd prolly spend as much getting food for yourself anyways.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    What about the beer?
  • edited October 2003
    The groceryt store that pays me has the "Cheapest beer and wine in town"... so I could arrange a deal with that too I'd imagine

Specially if we're already getting deli trays, many pounds of steaks (what cut, guys?), and a few cases of Dearborn Brand hotdogs (best dog you'll ever eat!).
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I am up for a sit down Dinner with all the friends from all over the us and the world. How many times are we going to see shorty on a box and hear shorty give a dinner toast!
    edited October 2003
    TheSmJ said
    Specially if we're already getting deli trays, many pounds of steaks (what cut, guys?), and a few cases of Dearborn Brand hotdogs (best dog you'll ever eat!).

You ain't kidding about the Dearborn Sausage Brand being the best....over the summer I was doing some work in the South end of Dearborn where its located....had something from there everyday.....oh man does it rule....oh...plus those damn cart girls all across dearborn are damn cute!!
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    what about those who dont drink beer...i like mikes hard lemonade
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited October 2003
    C'mon guys it's midnight here and now I'm starving.
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited October 2003
    i will gladly pony up a few more dollars for catering or something along the lines of that.
    edited October 2003
    Another question? Is a short-media bar night in order?? If so...count me in!
    edited October 2003
    We'll have to figure out the ages of everyone going as well... I need to know who is over/under 18 and who is over/under 21.. That'll be done through email though.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited October 2003
    Honestly, having a bar would be more trouble than it's worth. If you want to go get watered, I'd suggest taking a powder from the LAN awhile and go to local bar to get something. The true purpose of being there might get clouded otherwise.
  • JLunarJLunar the t dot.
    edited October 2003
    mmm... food. I'm all for good food.
    edited October 2003
    panzerkw said
    Honestly, having a bar would be more trouble than it's worth. If you want to go get watered, I'd suggest taking a powder from the LAN awhile and go to local bar to get something. The true purpose of being there might get clouded otherwise.

I concur heavily with this statement.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Cater, Breakfast, and Cookout. That's my vote.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    There definately has to be an "Of Legal Drinking Age S-M LAN Bar Crawl" to end the weekend's festivities.
    edited October 2003
    Due to liabilities and variety of ages present and a myriad of other issues, there will be no alcohol on the sarcnet industries' premises. There are plenty of local bars if one wishes to imbibe. Our office is mere miles away from downtown detroit, in which a bar catering to every taste can be found.