AVG Vs. McAfee

DeanoDeano Leicestershire, England
edited June 2011 in Science & Tech
This may seem like a dumb question, but i was just wondering which one is better for anti-virus protection; Grisoft AVG, or McAfee?

At the moment, i have AVG, but my friend has McAfee, and says it is alot better than AVG...

So Does anybody know which one is better, and if so, why it is better?

[and i apologize, i never notcied the "spyware/torjan/virus help" thread, until now]

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    but ym friend has McAfee, and says it is alot better than AVG...
    Your friend simply doesn't know what he's talking about. McAfee is a good product as an anti-virus program, but no better, in my opinion than AVG. The benefits of McAfee are that you get to pay for it! Yay..:rolleyes: ?

I've been using AVG for several years on multiple computers. I also install it on the computers of friends and relatives that I work on or build. I've used McAfee, Norton, AVG, and PCCillin (sp?). AVG is just as good as any of them. One advantage of AVG over Norton and McAfee is that it doesn't have all kinds of activity running in the background. It's also very easy to install, uninstall, and configure, UNLIKE McAfee.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    as a tech for several BIG retailers ( geek squad from Best buy and IQ crew at circuit city ) Thank God i quit them ( bunch of idiots ) but anywho McAffee is CRAP
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Yeh, I use AVG on all of my computers, and I recommend it to anyone who asks about an antivirus, I have probably save people a few hundred dollars from buying norton and mcafee.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    McAfee almost consistently slows down any computer I've ever seen it on. It seems to run like total crap, with long "hourglass" pauses for no apparent reason throughout a general Windows session.
  • DeanoDeano Leicestershire, England
    edited July 2006
    So AVG is definately better than McAfee? I have always used AVG, but my brother and friends always say that it has got to be crap at its job because its free. I, actually think it does a very good job at what it's supposed to do.
    edited July 2006
    McAfee almost consistently slows down any computer I've ever seen it on.
    It makes Windows XP by comparison seem lean and fast. McAfee is 65% bloatware and 35% anti-virus.
    but my brother and friends always say that it has got to be crap at its job because its free
    To be blunt, and no offense, your brother and his friends are long on speculation and quite short on factual knowledge. Tell them that Google is crap because its services are free! And Wikipedia also.

AVG is free because that is the company's marketing model - word of mouth. AVG has an enterprise version that is not free. Rather than use dubious costly Internet, television, and print marketing, AVG gives away the personal edition antivirus program. It's quality and reliability as attested to by its users is the core of its marketing. Testimony of its users spills over to business, some of which WILL pay for the enterprise version.
    edited July 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    To be blunt, and no offense, your brother and his friends are long on speculation and quite short on factual knowledge. Tell them that Google is crap because its services are free! And Wikipedia also.

I 100% agree with you though. I may just say that to him. but it's the same with ad-aware personel, he says it can't be that good, because it is free.
    Leonardo wrote:
    AVG is free because that is the company's marketing model - word of mouth. AVG has an enterprise version that is not free.

I learnt about AVG through word of mouth, and i did explain to both my brother and my friends about the enterprise edition, and that companies may use AVG, but he is determined to prove me wrong.

Bloatware..what exactly is bloatware? sorry, but thats a new term for me, i have never heard of that before.
    edited July 2006
    "Bloatware" is simply software that is unnecessarily cumbersome, slow, and poorly designed so that the end result is inefficient operation and consumption of too many system resources.

As to the argument that something can't be good because it's free...well there are always marketing and PR blokes who are only too willing to lighten the wallet of those who rely on misleading, expensive, traditional advertising. Sure, every automobile manufactured today is the best, because the advertisements say so! Go ahead, tell them not to trust any freeware whatsoever, because it's free. You understand me. What can I say? If your brother and his friend trust products because of advertising bilge (designed for the lowest common denominator), that's their problem.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited July 2006
    Avg
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I've used McAfee, Norton, AVG, PCCillin and some others over the yrs and agree 100% with the others here.
    The only thing I have used for 2-3 yrs now on all my pc's combined AVG, Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad Aware. All free editions.
    I used to get viruses, ad tracking cookies, spyware, etc with the others, but haven't had any such problems running these 3 programs.
    Also, I recommend updating and running weekly.
    edited July 2006
    I have always found free software to be reliable and very good, especially if it's for computer security. Thanks for explaining the definition of Bloatware. :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Another AVG user right here! ;)
    edited July 2006
    The most effective antivirus I've ever used is Kaspersky AV. It costs money, but it catches things that have gone unnoticed by Symantec Corporate Edition, AdAware, AVG, Ewido, and Spybot scans. This is my personal experience. Once I tried Kaspersky AV in that situation, I became an advocate, and started advertising it on short-media because I believe in the product. For paid software, Kaspersky is the best I've used. For free, AVG is the best I've used.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Yeh, I personally use:

AVG, SpyBot S&D, Ewido AntiSpyware Free, Ad-Aware Personal, and WebRoot; which costs money, but also does a pretty good job. You cant rely on one program anymore. I may have a suite that is a little overkill, but I also have a machine free of virus/malware, partly because of the programs, but also because I exercise a little caution in going to sites that I believe may host malware/virus.

Also, another reason is that I use firefox, which I can not stress enough, even if you dont like FF, use another browser aside form IE, it is terrible and you are just tempting fate by using it, you could use opera, and there are others.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    I spent three hours on the phone yesterday morning with a friend whose computer was running slow. She was convinced that she had a virus, since her McAfee kept doing the "hourglass" business primesuspect mentioned.

After scanning her HijackThis log and finding nothing of significance, I told her that it was her free version of McAfee (courtesy of AOL Broadband....) which was the likely culprit.

Back in the Win98 days I did a little experiment with a computer which had just received a clean Windows installation. After adding the McAfee Security Suite the computer (which had gobs of RAM), went from 94% System resources Free to 63%. Yep, 1/3 of the computer was busy doing nothing but keeping McAfee's bloated carcass afloat. :rolleyes:
    edited July 2006
    Also, another reason is that I use firefox, which I can not stress enough, even if you dont like FF, use another browser aside form IE, it is terrible and you are just tempting fate by using it, you could use opera, and there are others.

I use FF, because i find it alot more reliable than some of the other available browsers, especially IE. And the fact that you can create your own script for FF, means that alot more features are available for it!

Anyway, after reading about McAfee, Bloatware, i'm going to try and convince my brother and friends to get AVG. It seems to be clearly better!

:)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    The most effective antivirus I've ever used is Kaspersky AV. It costs money, but it catches things that have gone unnoticed by Symantec Corporate Edition, AdAware, AVG, Ewido, and Spybot scans. This is my personal experience. Once I tried Kaspersky AV in that situation, I became an advocate, and started advertising it on short-media because I believe in the product. For paid software, Kaspersky is the best I've used. For free, AVG is the best I've used.

If that's all true, then I'll be getting Kaspersky ;)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Just a quick Q to Prime so I can know as well as others...

I currently use AVG with Ewido(trial) and Spybot along with AdAware(free)... would Kaspersky effectivly replace all those? I dunno if I;d get rid of spybot becuase of the hosts file thing amoung others, but in terms of realtime scanning it would replace AVG and Ewido. I was going to buy ewido, but if I can use less rescources and have only one extra program that would be super.

My current setup clears everything, and with ewido I have yet to find any spyware or adware hidden on my system including tracking cookies.
    edited July 2006
    I think Kaspersky would effectively replace both AVG and Ewido, freeing up some resources (since ewido also runs in the background). You still want to have adaware and spybot on your system just because they're free, and they don't "run in the background" so there's no performance hit.

If you want to buy Kaspersky, please use our link on the front page, or use this link, so we make a small commission :D
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I think Kaspersky would effectively replace both AVG and Ewido, freeing up some resources (since ewido also runs in the background). You still want to have adaware and spybot on your system just because they're free, and they don't "run in the background" so there's no performance hit.

If you want to buy Kaspersky, please use our link on the front page, or use this link, so we make a small commission :D

Will do, I'll do the trial first, but I am curious which I should get, it seems there is the AV, then the Internet Security and then a package which costs like $199!?!?! The AV is only like $49 smacks, but does it handle everything uncluding the adware in realtime?

One thing I loved about EWIDO is it's ability to block the tracker cookies, which during the trail proved GREAT to me becuase I scanned my system with everything I could try, and found nothing and I went places... many many places :eek:
    edited July 2006
    The cheapest package handles viruses, trojans, and spyware. You don't need any of the bigger packages.
  • edited April 2011
    This is a message to all of you make sure you have both AVG Free and Spybot search and distroy installed on your computer . As my dad got a virus on an American express email on a package . DONT CLICK IT ! IT IS SOMETHING THAT GETS YOUR BANK DETAILS IS A WORM AND NACKERS UP YOUR PC AND SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY SAVE OUR AND OUR COMPUTERS LIFE !!!!!
  • edited April 2011
    Also it got rid of all my data so my broadband connection : virgin media . Automatically backed up my computer how superb !
  • edited April 2011
    Get rid of the awful mcafee thats actually rubish . and put avg free on your pc just follow these simple steps !

1. go on the internet
    2. go to google.co.uk
    3. type in avg free
    4. click on free avg 2011 download or type <CITE>avg.com/uk in the address bar</CITE>
    <CITE>5. click install free edition</CITE>
    <CITE>6. do the thing the setup tell you to do</CITE>
    <CITE></CITE>
    <CITE>7. (Please note )</CITE>
    <CITE></CITE>
    <CITE>You have to keep your eyes on the pc incase it needs you for a timed setup .</CITE>
  • edited April 2011
    cool kids wrote:
    Get rid of the awful mcafee thats actually rubish . and put avg free on your pc just follow these simple steps !

1. go on the internet
    2. go to google.co.uk
    3. type in avg free
    4. click on free avg 2011 download or type <CITE>avg.com/uk in the address bar</CITE>
    <CITE>5. click install free edition</CITE>
    <CITE>6. do the thing the setup tell you to do</CITE>
    <CITE></CITE>
    <CITE>7. (Please note )</CITE>
    <CITE></CITE>
    <CITE>You have to keep your eyes on the pc incase it needs you for a timed setup .</CITE>

p.s. install spybot as well

1. google
    2. type spybot
    3. and so on ! (I cant be bothered to say all the rest , i'm sure you'll figure it out !)
  • edited April 2011

I have tryed AVG , mcafee , kasbery , spybot , virgin security , norton .

I have found out that avg and spybot are the best , you cant see this but avg and spybot work together and our a great team !
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    o_O wow... quintuple post...
    edited April 2011
    Posting nonsense in threads over four years old: All the cool kids are doing it :troll:
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    That was epic.