Give Me Your Advice on Upgrading an Athlon System

2»

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Thanks Mirage, thanks Ed. Ed, I'll have an NF7S-2.0 & Barton 2800+ and Zalman 7000 for sale in probably less than two weeks.

Also, I'm still trying to get up to speed (pun intended) concerning AMD dual core series. I'm really confused about the code names. Which series have the 1MB cache? Are we talking AM2 or 64 X2? What would be the performance difference in Folding@Home with XMHz+1MB cache versus XMHz+512KB cache?
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2006
    Athlon 64 Core Code Names

Dual Core
    Brisbane: X2 Series Socket AM2 65nm Dual Core 512K Cache/Core SSE3(4?) (Due Q4 2006/Q1 2007)
    Italy: Opteron 2xx Series 90nm Dual Core 1MB Cache/Core SSE3
    Denmark: Opteron 1xx Series 90nm Dual Core 1MB Cache/Core SSE3
    Windsor: X2 Series Socket AM2 90nm Dual Core 512K Cache/Core SSE3
    Toledo: X2 Series 90nm Dual Core 1MB Cache/Core SSE3
    Manchester: X2 Series 90nm Dual Core 512K Cache/Core SSE3

Single Core
    Troy: Opteron 2xx Series 90nm Single Core 1MB Cache/Core SSE3
    Venus: Opteron 1xx Series 90nm Single Core 1MB Cache/Core SSE3
    Orleans: Athlon 64 Series Socket AM2 90nm Single Core 512K Cache/Core SSE3
    San Diego: Athlon 64 Series 90nm Single Core 1MB Cache/Core SSE3
    Venice: Athlon 64 Series 90nm Single Core 512K Cache/Core SSE3

Winchester: Athlon 64 Series 90nm Single Core 512K Cache/Core SSE2
    SledgeHammer: Athlon 64 Series 130nm Single Core 1MB Cache/Core SSE2
    ClawHammer: Athlon 64 Series 130nm Single Core 512k Cache/Core SSE2
    Newcastle Athlon 64 Series 130nm Single Core 512K Cache/Core SSE2
    edited July 2006
    Thanks.

Wow, that's everywhere except Cleveland and Lodi. No wonder no one can keep it straight.
    edited July 2006
    Although this thread has been a good discussion and I learned much, upgrades will have to wait. Proposed purchases for my Athlon box and the upgrades I wanted to perform for my other computers were already stretching disposable income available this summer. But then, cash flow was altered today, making things even tighter. Today I had a mishap canoeing in the Eagle River. The current and level was way up from the last time I canoed, due accelerated mid-summer snow and glacier melt at the higher elevations. I and the guy I was canoeing with misjudged the water's speed at a pile of logs smack in the middle of the river. We were unable to maneuver in time. The current slammed us broadside against the logjam and flipped us. Thank God we weren't trapped under the logs...like the canoe was. I had lashed everything we had - lunch, water container, change of clothes, and a bag with my cellphone and wallet to canoe's braces, but the force of the water pushing the canoe into the logs sheared the cord that had secured my wallet and cellphone. The clothes in the waterproof bag were dry, but when we eventually recovered the canoe, the bag with my wallet and cellphone were gone. I almost never carry more than $50 in cash. Unfortunately today was an exception. Not a great loss, but to buy computer parts now would result in money being taken from our vacation budget. Just can't do that!
  • edited July 2006
    Leo, I am glad that you are safe. Money, phone, etc. are all secondary compared to health and life. Maybe you could also recover your bag, who knows, someone might give you a call in the following days after finding it down the river. Think this way, you might have missed just one of the never ending upgrade cycles. :)
    Take care
    edited July 2006
    Leo, I am glad that you are safe. Money, phone, etc. are all secondary compared to health and life.
    Amen.

Replace the cellphone - sure. Put off upgrades. Why not? It's a never ending cycle anyway. The force of the water was so strong, and the temperature so cold, had one of us been forced under the water, I don't know if we would have come back up.

We should have stayed out of the river today. We saw the current, but no, we had to be macho adventure men! :rant: But then, that's the plight of the male species. :rockon:;D
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Sorry to hear the news Leo.
    But very glad neither of you were drowned.
    I know how scary that can be.
    I also canoe and have canoed whitewater on the upper delaware gap.
    We hit 8's on a scale of 10. very exciting stuff unless you turn over.
    We camped on an island at the halfway point.
    Early morning I went down to the point on lower end of the island to fish.
    While I was there fishing I watched as a guy on the NJ side put a canoe in. (Mind you it was quite a chilly mornin, so some were wearing heavy jackets/coats.)
    So, This guy has 2 little children with him (boy & girl) wearing heavy coats.
    He proceeds to put them in the canoe (no lifejackets) him either.
    He pushes the canoe straight out into the fast running river, instead of sliding in on an angle. The canoe shot out into the current and tipped over immediately.
    All said and done myself and a buddy I grabbed jumped into our canoe (with life jackets) and had the scare of our lives getting to the guy who had sunk under with the boy in his arms going under. We reached them just in time for me to grab down about 3 ft to the boys arm and pull them both up. Both unconscious, him clinging to the boy.
    Got them both breathing again. had a 30min ordeal getting them to shore, with him hanging on the side of the canoe.
    The girl was fished out by someone fishing the shore just down from where they went in. Thankfully no one died.
    Police,Paramedics and others (family) were waiting onshore by the time we got them accross the river. Both in shock.Then they took over.
  • edited July 2006
    Hawk wrote:
    Sorry to hear the news Leo.
    But very glad neither of you were drowned.
    I know how scary that can be.
    I also canoe and have canoed whitewater on the upper delaware gap.
    We hit 8's on a scale of 10. very exciting stuff unless you turn over.
    We camped on an island at the halfway point.
    Early morning I went down to the point on lower end of the island to fish.
    While I was there fishing I watched as a guy on the NJ side put a canoe in. (Mind you it was quite a chilly mornin, so some were wearing heavy jackets/coats.)
    So, This guy has 2 little children with him (boy & girl) wearing heavy coats.
    He proceeds to put them in the canoe (no lifejackets) him either.
    He pushes the canoe straight out into the fast running river, instead of sliding in on an angle. The canoe shot out into the current and tipped over immediately.
    All said and done myself and a buddy I grabbed jumped into our canoe (with life jackets) and had the scare of our lives getting to the guy who had sunk under with the boy in his arms going under. We reached them just in time for me to grab down about 3 ft to the boys arm and pull them both up. Both unconscious, him clinging to the boy.
    Got them both breathing again. had a 30min ordeal getting them to shore, with him hanging on the side of the canoe.
    The girl was fished out by someone fishing the shore just down from where they went in. Thankfully no one died.
    Police,Paramedics and others (family) were waiting onshore by the time we got them accross the river. Both in shock.Then they took over.

That's incredible! When I was reading your story it was playing like a movie in my head. I had to get up and walk off the tension. WOW!

And Leo, glad you're still with us and no one was hurt. Upgrades to computers are a lot easier and less costly than repairs to the human body.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    There was quite a bit more to it, but I tried to keep it short enough to understand.
    Imagine what I and my buddy felt like pumping our arms off like a madmen, out of breath, adrenaline creating more anxiety, while watching them go under time after time. Everytime they went under I thought we lost them for sure. And then to get to them and pull them up.. a second of relief until realizing neither was breathing. Then having to give both CPR. My buddy all this time trying to keep us from tipping over in the rapids, while I have the baby boy over my lap pounding him on the back as much as possible without hurting him. To remove water from lungs., then blow some air in etc. Hanging onto the guy on the side of the boat and pounding him in between working on the tot. Couldn't have been more than 3-4 yrs old. if it weren't for my buddy keeping us in the right position, we would have surely turned over too. It was a very good feeling for us both to get them breathing and to shore.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Leo,
    I apologize for the thread hijack friend.
    it just came pouring back in memories and I started typing it.
    edited July 2006
    Leo,
    I apologize for the thread hijack friend.
    it just came pouring back in memories and I started typing it.
    Quite alright, as I'm the one who pushed the thread into the water, pun intended.

NEW THREAD here on canoeing.