SM4 - Feelin' the Heat

KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired)By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Folding@Home
Until this massive heatwave rolls out of town, I'm trying to conserve energy, which means SM4 will be down for a few days. It's creating a lot of heat and my electric bill is insane as it is.

I'm going to try to bring her to my office and see if there's a spot in our server room. Hopefully this oppressive heat will be over soon. Today was 100°, with the humidity it felt like 111°.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Yeah...

The heat has been moving steadily eastward; we get our first break on Thursday. Be prepared for a rough few days, unless you get lucky and a storm blows it out sooner.

Fluids, my man. Fluids. :beer:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    This is insane. I mean, it's 9:15 at night at it still feels like it's over 100° outside.:eek3:
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2006
    IC6 is feeling the heat also. All my rigs have been shut down for a few days. I checked my rigs earlier and the 805d was at 68c! The rest weren't much better.

Just checked the thermometer, it's still 80f at 10 o'clock at night.
    edited August 2006
    For the last few days we haven't dropped much below 90F until well after dark. When I take the dogs out, the only thing that makes it bearable is our proximity to Lake Erie.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Yup. It's only supposed to get up to 94F here today, but that's plenty hot for me. Seth, good luck shoehorning SM4 into the datacenter out of the heat. Have a popsicle!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    God bless monsoon season. I live in the desert, and it might get up to 80° today. But only until the clouds roll in around 3 and we get a nice, pleasant drizzle. :D
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Philly is outrageously hot right now, also. We have one window AC unit in the house, on the first floor in the living room. Me and my roomies don't spend any time in the living room usually, but during this heatwave we've decided to have campouts on the living room floor in our attempts to not die.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    God bless monsoon season. I live in the desert, and it might get up to 80° today. But only until the clouds roll in around 3 and we get a nice, pleasant drizzle. :D
    I just remembered that I'm flying into Dallas this afternoon. I'll get a proper punishment for being so smug, I expect :(
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited August 2006
    The high today here was 101, heat index was probably around 110 or something. I had to mow both my lawns today too in the afternoon heat! heh...House stays ice cold though...I haven't noticed any of my machines running hotter than usual. SM25 stays around 45c.

~FA
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Well the heatwave is finally starting to break, but now I've come across another issue. Seems there was a little bit of a power sag, and even though my router is plugged into a surge protector, it seems somehow to have caught a nice spike. Somehow [strike]Steve[/strike] Brian got into my apartment and screwed up my router while I wasn't looking. I blame [strike]Steve[/strike] Brian.

Anyway, I only have one rig plugged in and even my Vonage is on the fritz at the moment. I'm going to pick up a new one tomorrow anywhere cheaper than [strike]at[/strike] CompUSA, so I'll have SM4 and everything else up and running again.
    edited August 2006
    Sorry to hear about that. :(

By the way, this time around I'm blaming Brian. :honoes:
    edited August 2006
    Me too.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I just got home from a short vacation and turned all the computers back on. Had to wear a sweatshirt today. It was a bit cool outside.
    edited August 2006
    And we're back! Got a new router, the heat's been quelled, and SM4 is back doin' the WU dance.