Signatures

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Community
Is it possible to get some rules imposed on signatures please? Such as maximum height (maybe 6 lines tops?) and maximum filesize too (not sure on this one). There are some sigs now that take over 20 lines in height and some are a few MB in filesize. I just don't want to see what happened on Icrontic happen on here (massive sigs everywhere taking up almost the hight of a 1024x768 screen and having to scroll past it over and over, waiting ages for others to load).

Just a thought.

Comments

• edited October 2006
    You can always change the settings to hide the sigs...
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I don't want to hide sigs. I just don't want to see massive sigs that take up 6x more space than peoples posts.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    I don't want to hide sigs. I just don't want to see massive sigs that take up 6x more space than peoples posts.

w3rd. I hide sigs now for that reason, but I do miss having them.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I haven't had any problems, but I don't have an 800x600 screen either....
    edited October 2006
    RWB wrote:
    I haven't had any problems, but I don't have an 800x600 screen either....
    well at 1280x1024, if airborn and armo post 1 liners, this is what you get:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    There is a 250 kb limit on signature file size. Currently, there is no rule on a vertical size.

I trimmed some whitespace out of the two sigs shwaip pointed out. Both are about 250 pixels tall. I don't think that's excessive, myself.

A hack exists to limit signatures to the first time a person posts in each thread. What's your opinion of that solution?
    edited October 2006
    Not ideal to be honest, but that's probably because I'm a fan of neat and tidy, but, it's not my site, it's just an issue I thought was worth bringing up.
    edited October 2006
    Even with the trimming, if they both post one-liners, you can only get their posts on an entire screen of 1280x1024. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with restricting sigs to a specific banner size (about RWB's size), but I'll bet that some people wouldn't be too happy.

A lot of people seem to have the same problems with the whitespace too, but I think that that may be the result of the specific theme that SM has (the name, av, and assorted other icons below). I'm not suggesting that it needs to be changed, I just think that may be contributing.

I think the hack wouldn't really help, but I would use it if it became an option, if limiting sig size isn't.
    edited October 2006
    Lots of places I've been to had limits (like 8 lines or so) to sig limits simply because they don't need to be any larger. People that have more normally have things like every part of their PC including the type of screws used, or random movies, random "funny" pictures or other general crap. If people need that much space for valid info then they can use some sort of scroll or transition.
    edited October 2006
    I take a very different view of signatures. I think they add a lot of character to the site and let our members express themselves. We've always been very liberal with our allocation of resources to this (more than most forums, I think). Personally, I don't mind scrolling a bit more if that's the tradeoff. :)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    A hack exists to limit signatures to the first time a person posts in each thread. What's your opinion of that solution?
    Wasn't something like that in place when S-M first started or back in Icrontic?
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited October 2006
    I take a very different view of signatures. I think they add a lot of character to the site and let our members express themselves. We've always been very liberal with our allocation of resources to this (more than most forums, I think). Personally, I don't mind scrolling a bit more if that's the tradeoff. :)
    Well said!
    edited October 2006
    Black Hawk wrote:
    Wasn't something like that in place when S-M first started or back in Icrontic?
    Not to my knowledge. :)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Hmm. I do remember that being set someplace and I visit very few forums. :confused:

Anyways, I do like the idea.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    :wtf: ...

I'm on 1024x768 at home, and there are many signatures just as long or longer, I dont mind it. I tried getting the extra white space in between the two removed but I couldnt get it to. as far as that goes my sig is only 140-180 px tall if I could get that extra whitespace out.
    edited October 2006
    :wtf: ...

I'm on 1024x768 at home, and there are many signatures just as long or longer, I dont mind it. I tried getting the extra white space in between the two removed but I couldnt get it to. as far as that goes my sig is only 140-180 px tall if I could get that extra whitespace out.

my goal was not to single you out, but to show that some sigs are (imo) too big. It just so happened that I found somewhere that you and armo posted together.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited October 2006
    There is a 250 kb limit on signature file size. Currently, there is no rule on a vertical size.

I trimmed some whitespace out of the two sigs shwaip pointed out. Both are about 250 pixels tall. I don't think that's excessive, myself.

that seems like a reasonable solution should the majority of posters find Sigs overly obtrusive..

LIN
    edited October 2006
    maybe we should make a poll if there is enough interest. I'm not against consolidating my signature to something in flash that scrolls. Though before making any changes or something like that, we should see what the general consensus is. As far as load times go, I'm on a 4mb(475KB/s) connection, which isn't slow, but certainly isn't the fastest connection available and my page loads in <1 second.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I like signatures enabled all the way through the thread.

I don't like when people post feature length flash videos, or recite their family history in their sigs.
    edited October 2006
    maybe we should make a poll if there is enough interest. I'm not against consolidating my signature to something in flash that scrolls. Though before making any changes or something like that, we should see what the general consensus is. As far as load times go, I'm on a 4mb(475KB/s) connection, which isn't slow, but certainly isn't the fastest connection available and my page loads in <1 second.

It's not about load times.
  • jhenryjhenry California's Wine Country
    edited October 2006
    You could always switch to some decent forum software, that has a javascript image resize function to resize signatures to fit a certain screen size %...

Or just wait for the next vB update; it'll be copied in...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    there'll be no switch for the forseeable future. We are way too invested in vb as far as custom code, and user training (by that, I mean the whole staff is familiar with it, and we would need to re-train 15-20 people on some "other" software, which would be.... bad) :D
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I'm not too sure how many people are still using dial up. I am fortunately on broadband which I assume most of us are.
    I can say that load time was a huge issue for me when I was still on dial up.
    I am thinking of the many guests that happen on the site after Googling a tech related query. If they anything like me, I quit a site very quickly if it takes too long to load. I hope that's not happening here.

May I suggest we open a poll in another thread to see what most forum members think about the size and usage of sigs?
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Is there any way we could hide individual people's sigs? Ideally, a plus/minus hide button at the bottom of their post would show/hide their sig (for all their posts), but being able to block sigs for specific people in the UserCP would probably be easier to code. Not that I know anything about this vBulletin stuff. Actually, the same feature for avatars would be useful.

It's nothing against those users, but being able to hide some sigs that are big and I've seen plenty of times will help my poor scrolling finger. Being able to hide certain avatars and sigs would help make the site look a bit more legit when I check it at work, too.

It's about personalizing my SM experience, not nitpicking people's sig taste :)
    edited October 2006
    sigs maybe, but avatars?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    That's an awesome idea, Garg. Don't know how easily it could be implamented, but it'd sure be a handy feature. If that's not possible, I'd like to see a poll too. At the minimum, a max height should probably be implamented. Our scrolling fingers will thank you.
    edited October 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Is there any way we could hide individual people's sigs?
    Yes, I found a mod that does this (both sigs and avs). I downloaded it and will have a closer look.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Sweet action, Keebs! Let us know if it's cool.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    but being able to hide some sigs that are big and I've seen plenty of times will help my poor scrolling finger
    That would be perfect. I enjoy signatures - they really add color to the forums and make it more personal, but some are just simply annoying, tacky, or simply bulbous. I don't want to turn off all the sigs but there are a few I'd shut off right now if I could.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I never minded the ultra huge sigs, but thatis just my opinion, I personally like to keep my stuff nice and tidy like my desktops, clutter just makes me feel durty :P