Shopping list!

the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1Indy Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Folding@Home
OK SMx'ers!

I'm going to post a few pictures here. Tell me what you guys want, and I'll have it shipped out today! These parts are used...but should still be good for a while! I'm rescuing them from the recycler for the SMx project...

(pictures uploading...)

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    ok, have a look around, and tell me what the SMx project would like. You're free to pretty much anything pictured here, just let me know.

:birthday:

P1000396.JPG
    P1000397.JPG
    P1000398.JPG

cases, hard drives and memory

edit: LOL, looks a little blurry. I'll re-take the blurry ones, just let me get the rest up
    edited October 2006
    10-13-06_1021.jpg
    P1000399.JPG
    P1000400.JPG

motherboards, video cards and network cards
    edited October 2006
    10-13-06_1025.jpg
    P1000401.JPG
    P1000402.JPG

motherboards, more motherboards and network hubs
    edited October 2006
    10-13-06_1027.jpg
    P1000403.JPG
    P1000406.JPG

more cases, more hubs/CD-ROM drives, Compaq Proliant 3000
    edited October 2006
    P1000404.JPG
    P1000405.JPG

keyboards and cases
    edited October 2006
    ok, that's it. Let me know if you want any part #'s, or what parts the SMx project wants and I'll ship them out when I go to the post office today!
    edited October 2006
    ...maybe people affiliated with the SMx project can just quote a picture and tell me what they want, or what info they want on the stuff.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    Holy Moley!

Can you send me a list of the various items? It doesn't need to be too detailed, just something like this:

(4) 256 MB PC2700
    (8) 20GB HD
    etc.

I have a big idea which is emerging from my teensy little brain... :cool:
    edited October 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Holy Moley!

Can you send me a list of the various items? It doesn't need to be too detailed, just something like this:

(4) 256 MB PC2700
    (8) 20GB HD
    etc.

I have a big idea which is emerging from my teensy little brain... :cool:

I'll have something for you later this afternoon, there's a lot of stuff in there.
    edited October 2006
    If it makes it easier, go ahead and ship everything but the cases.

We'd probably like to have the cases, too, but need to work out how much they'd cost to ship as opposed to buying new ones.

That looks like an awesome haul. :wow2: :eek2:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    It's usally cheaper to buy a new case from the egg, with a PSU included, and have that shipped directly to the new host, rather than box up an old case and PSU and ship them to the parts manager, then ship them again, etc.
    edited October 2006
    It's usally cheaper to buy a new case from the egg, with a PSU included, and have that shipped directly to the new host, rather than box up an old case and PSU and ship them to the parts manager, then ship them again, etc.

yeah, newegg has some cases for $30. You lose a pint of blood working with them, but hey... :D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Blood is cheap... there's this street corner..... Nevermind :D
    edited October 2006
    OK, sorry it took a while, but here's what I got in the limited amount of time I was able to spend in there. I just had time to get the P/N's:

HARD DRIVES
    26 x Fujitsu MPD3043AT
    02 x Seagate ST38421A
    06 x MDT MDVL41-0200
    06 x Seagate ST320014A
    05 x Fujitsu MPE3064AT

NIC's
    22 x Generic PCI 10mb/s
    06 x Generic PCI 10/100

Video Cards
    23 x Generic PCI 4MB

CD-ROM
    26 x off-brand IDE 45x-52x

HUBS, 10MB/S AND 10/100
    05 x 8-Port rackmount
    02 x 16-port rackmount
    14 x 24-port rackmount

CASES
    ~60 x ATX, some with useless PS's :P

UPS
    01 x APCSmartUPS 1000, bad battery
    01 x OptiUPS PowerES 280es, bad battery

SERVERS
    02 x Compaq Proliant 3000 P3 600mhz :P
    edited October 2006
    Ship! Ship! :D

I made a few notes about things we really don't see any use for at this point:
    HARD DRIVES
    26 x Fujitsu MPD3043AT
    02 x Seagate ST38421A
    06 x MDT MDVL41-0200
    06 x Seagate ST320014A
    05 x Fujitsu MPE3064AT

NIC's *
    22 x Generic PCI 10mb/s
    06 x Generic PCI 10/100

Video Cards *
    23 x Generic PCI 4MB

CD-ROM
    26 x off-brand IDE 45x-52x **

HUBS, 10MB/S AND 10/100 ***
    05 x 8-Port rackmount
    02 x 16-port rackmount
    14 x 24-port rackmount

CASES
    ~60 x ATX, some with useless PS's :P ****

UPS *****
    01 x APCSmartUPS 1000, bad battery
    01 x OptiUPS PowerES 280es, bad battery

SERVERS
    02 x Compaq Proliant 3000 P3 600mhz :P ******

* If you don't mind me eBaying some of these and donating the money to the SMx Fund, send 'em all. They're light enough to make it paractical.

** We could use a couple of these, but their weight makes having dozens of them impractical to ship.

*** I could use one of these here for my test bench. If they're not extraordinarily heavy I'll take all of them, provided you don't mind me making a few of them into eBay specials.

**** As has been mentioned, impractical to ship unless they have 100% reliable PSU's. Hold onto them if you can - we might send the better ones to future SMx Hosts, but don't want to pay to ship them twice.

***** I might consider paying the shipping myself for one (or both) of these for my personal use, provided the replacement battery isn't an arm or a leg.

****** I might pay the shipping for this out of my own pocket, too. It might be fun to play around with. :D

What do you think? :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    We could build our own Prof-hosted, Not-So-Super-SMx-Supercomputer. :honoes:
    edited October 2006
    What would be not-so-super about it? :p
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited October 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    What would be not-so-super about it? :p

:rolleyes2 Production?

If you want it I've got a Proliant 5000 you can have IF you pick it up. (upgraded to Quad P3 500's)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    "Not-so-Super..." Sorry, my attempt at humor didn't come off right. I've just never heard of a garage-workshop supercomputer. But it sure would be fun to try, wouldn't it! :bigggrin: ...your massively parallel garage special!
    edited October 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Ship! Ship! :D

I made a few notes about things we really don't see any use for at this point:

* If you don't mind me eBaying some of these and donating the money to the SMx Fund, send 'em all. They're light enough to make it paractical.

** We could use a couple of these, but their weight makes having dozens of them impractical to ship.

*** I could use one of these here for my test bench. If they're not extraordinarily heavy I'll take all of them, provided you don't mind me making a few of them into eBay specials.

**** As has been mentioned, impractical to ship unless they have 100% reliable PSU's. Hold onto them if you can - we might send the better ones to future SMx Hosts, but don't want to pay to ship them twice.

***** I might consider paying the shipping myself for one (or both) of these for my personal use, provided the replacement battery isn't an arm or a leg.

****** I might pay the shipping for this out of my own pocket, too. It might be fun to play around with. :D

What do you think? :)

* I've tried to eBay them. Shipping is more than the auction is worth. (even when shipping is $4/each. and I haven't been able to find a buyer of bulk old video cards, so you might want to save the ebay fees... :\

** true, and they are used... the cost of shipping might not be worth the unreliability.. unless we start using LiveCD's to run FAH, then the cost of shipping is less than the cost of a HD

*** If the test bench is for SMx, then I don't mind donating them. Otherwise I'll probably just eBay them myself.

**** All of the PSU's are extremely used. I've built countless PC's, so if you'd like me to put an SMx machine together and ship it, that's cool. Just send the parts and it'll be out in a day or so.

***** I think you're underestimating the weight and size of these...:D But I do have two...ummm...maybe 3 of these, so we might be able to consolidate them into a very crappy supercomputer. My favorite thing about these? The bios has a setting where you can display a custom message when it boots. I have no idea why. ...but our office's machine says "ALL YOU BASE ARE BELONG TO US" when it boots now... ;D
    edited October 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    "Not-so-Super..." Sorry, my attempt at humor didn't come off right. I've just never heard of a garage-workshop supercomputer. But it sure would be fun to try, wouldn't it! :bigggrin: ...your massively parallel garage special!

hmm...actually...now that you mention it...

Check out the pics. There's a TON of P3 boards/proc's in there. With a lot of PC100 memory. Maybe we could make the world's crappiest linux cluster with 10-15 x 600mhz proc's or something? Maybe 15? Connected by one of the better 100mbit hubs? (I think there's 1 switch in there...maybe...) All running on very dusty power supplies

This thing would definitely be _extremely_ scary, and I doubt I'd have the time to maintain it. BUT! Some kids at one of the schools I manage wanted a computer club, so it might be a good project...

This idea frightens me.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    prof, you may want to reconsider the proliant "just to play around" - it'll cost probably $200 or more to ship, and it would have to be freight, not shipping company. Those are big, heavy, heavy servers.
    edited October 2006
    prof, you may want to reconsider the proliant "just to play around" - it'll cost probably $200 or more to ship, and it would have to be freight, not shipping company. Those are big, heavy, heavy servers.

however, if you know a needy fisherman with a length of chain and the need to keep a boat stationary...
    edited October 2006
    $200?!! :doh:

OK, scratch that. :sawed:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    what are the chances of me getting ahold of the switch in there? Our yearbook room needs it, because our daisy chained hubs are full, and technically, it is for F@H since I have two machines up there running.
    edited October 2006
    what are the chances of me getting ahold of the switch in there? Our yearbook room needs it, because our daisy chained hubs are full, and technically, it is for F@H since I have two machines up there running.

I don't think that would go over too well...

have the school buy one, they get gov't money for this kind of stuff if they ask for it. (I know I do....)
    edited October 2006
    OK, the stuff's all here, now the wrapping part begins!

prof, I figured I'd take some shots of the stuff I'm sending. How do you want it shipped? (I bought a 200'x12" roll of bubble wrap today, but as far as box-wise...)

P1010080.JPG
    P1010081.JPG
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Yeh, but our techs spend in on replacing $2k switches that are only a year old. Our school system is corrupt, I swear it is. There are people that are triple and quadruple dipping. and I know the money isn't being spent right, something doesn't add up. As for the e-rate, it goes into laptops for the teachers (which they don't use) and shiny new switches that we didn't need. But they have to spend it, otherwise they don't get as much next time. (And we wonder where all the debt comes from) not for a switch in the yearbook room, because technically we arent supposed to have a switch or hub in the room, since the network is 'certified' and there are only supposed to be as many computers hooked up as there is room on the drop.

yet they only hook one of the plugs on the drop up...hmph. I'll get shipley to buy that 24 port linksys switch I've had my eye on, though im having trouble explaining to her that we dont want a hub, do they even make those any more?
    edited October 2006
    Wow - does that ever look nice. :D
    ...How do you want it shipped? (I bought a 200'x12" roll of bubble wrap today, but as far as box-wise...)
    That's up to you. Are you doing UPS, FedEx, USPS, or...?

If it's via the Post Office the cheapest freight rate probably makes the most sense, though I've been surprised a time or two to find that something faster cost only pennies more.

Oh, and airborn - if you really want that switch, why don't you hold a bake sale? :tongue2:
    edited October 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Wow - does that ever look nice. :D

That's up to you. Are you doing UPS, FedEx, USPS, or...?

If it's via the Post Office the cheapest freight rate probably makes the most sense, though I've been surprised a time or two to find that something faster cost only pennies more.

I know what you mean, I've found that messenger service has been cheaper tan UPS sometimes.

I have easy access to UPS and USPS, have any preference?