Short-Media.com is up!

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Community
It is with great pleasure that the short-media team (who don't ever sleep or live any form of life anymore) launch the frontpage :)

http://www.short-media.com/

This has been a sometimes difficult achievement. We wanted to pack as much information as humanly possible into the page and make it super-flexible.

You will find external reviews and news, our own articles and archived news, folding@home and alot more.

We already have some great new reviews ready to roll, so keep your eyes peeled! :D

A big shoutout and thanks for all the hardwork goes to:

TD_Isles for his coding enthusiasm and "It will work" attitude.

MediaMan for his vertical learning curve with PHP and I hear he is no longer having a nervous breakdown.

PrimeSuspect and -TK for their awesome "Yep.. Il look at that.. even if it's 3am.. Il look at it" attitude.

Special Kudos to -TK for sacrificing his own personal desktop when the "dev" server went south. What a hero.

JimboJW for all his awesome code and bug fixes. A coding monster. Thanks mate!

Park_7677 for his dedication and backend work. Can't wait to get more of that code in the system.

General Keebler for finding us Jimbo! What a player!

.. and everyone for patiently waiting for us to give birth to our new frontpage :)

We will make some small changes along the way and get the forums integrating and cross-linking (already in the works) so you have everything at your fingertips!

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

Comments

• Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    Great work you guys. It looks great!:beer::beer::beer::beer:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    MediaMan has so far uploaded all the articles with "A".. he has the rest of the alphabet to do yet ;) heh .. should keep him busy!

We have a few more bits to work on.. but they are purely just to have more connectivity with the forums :)
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    Are you guys going with top10 threads or Posts?

Top 10 Forum Posts
    'How many CPU's have failed on you?' by Shivian
    'Folding sigs...idea' by LawnMM
    'How many CPU's have failed on you?' by LawnMM
    'Short-Media.com is up!' by Shorty
    'How many CPU's have failed on you?' by paroxym
    'UK vs US Unreal Tournament' by bothered
    'How many CPU's have failed on you?' by profdlp
    'Reliability Of Optical Drives' by elektrik
    'How many CPU's have failed on you?' by elektrik
    'For those AMD freaks!' by drowd
    edited June 2003
    Posters for the minute ;) but that will be sorted in the next day or so :cool:
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Top marks guys. You have all worked hard on this, you all need a :beer:
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Awesome, I just got back after 6 days from Las Vegas!! and this was the first site I checked, the front page looks great!

Thanks everyone! General Keebler, TD_Isles, -TK, PrimeSuspect, JimboJW, Park_7677, Shorty, and MediaMan.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    Sweet guys. The layout is awesome, and the ads don't get in the way of the general flow of the website either. Big kudos to everyone who has worked so hard at getting this thing put together.
  • hoojhooj Bournemouth, UK
    edited June 2003
    nice, looking good guys :D
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Excellent - what more can I say? :thumbsup:

And it's soooo different from any other forum I've ever seen, I think it's highly intuitive.

Have a drink on me boys! :beer:

:respect:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Good job fellas.:)
  • LincLinc
    lets his head fall to the desk.

w0000000000000000000000t!!!

:D You guys are amazing... :) Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    lets his head fall to the desk.

w0000000000000000000000t!!!

:D You guys are amazing... :)
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited June 2003
    Not to be a downer, but the page is not very usable @ 800x600 resolution.

I realize most of the visitors are probably a bit more techy than the average joe and also probably run 1024x768 or even higher, but there are a number of people with visual impairments that just cannot use anything higher than 800x600 and for those people the page is more difficult to navigate.

Perhaps doing a check on the screen width and then serving up a different page accordingly?

Other than that, I like it.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    If you're visually impaired can you not turn up the text size in the browser yourself?
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I have to tell you guys, it looks great. Is it all made from scratch or did you modify Miro/Mambo that you link to in your affiliates? Great freakin frackin job, my site look like crapola now.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    kanezfan said
    I have to tell you guys, it looks great. Is it all made from scratch or did you modify Miro/Mambo that you link to in your affiliates? Great freakin frackin job, my site look like crapola now.

Actually, funny you should mention that... When we were in the planning stages for the front page, we all got together and said "What do we NOT want?" and then we all pulled up www.addaboy.com and agreed that your site was the polar opposite of what ours should look like.

And then we went from there......:p
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    Ah! It looked good for a second, but now it's borked with a parse error.

Anyways, great job guys. Looks good.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited June 2003
    You can increase/decrease the font size, but decreasing it would not truly be an option for someone that already requires a resolution of 800x600. Increasing the font would make the layout even more difficult for someone with 800x600.

I'm not saying the design is bad . . . it's not. I like it. I just feel that the 800x600 (or heaven forbid even lower) crowd not be left in the dark. The screen width can be detected and they can be shown a modified page.
    CyrixInstead said
    If you're visually impaired can you not turn up the text size in the browser yourself?
    edited June 2003
    primesuspect said
    kanezfan said

Actually, funny you should mention that... When we were in the planning stages for the front page, we all got together and said "What do we NOT want?" and then we all pulled up www.addaboy.com and agreed that your site was the polar opposite of what ours should look like.

And then we went from there......:p

:nudge: ahahahahahahahahahahahahah too funny!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Khaos said
    Ah! It looked good for a second, but now it's borked with a parse error.

Anyways, great job guys. Looks good.

Sorry about the parse errors. I let a stray bracket wander off and he got into trouble.

It may come and go over the next few minutes, I'm working on the last 10 posts dealie.
    edited June 2003
    i do believe that that is the first you've pwned me...... bastage!
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    Back to looking good again. :D
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Looks fantastic guys, the page is different from most and looks very fresh, kudos.:)

Now to fill it with Folding@Home content.:D

LOL, primes!!!! As a consolation kanez, I like your page too!:)
    edited June 2003
    well now at least I know who my real friends are eh?
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Looks good, my only suggestion is darker text. The silver/grey color and the white background blend together a little too much imo.
  • hitokirihitokiri NYC
    edited June 2003
    OMG...Its freaking awesome...
    Great work guys! This is so great, everything I wanted from when IC went down...all the news, the articles, its superb! YOU GUYS ROCK!
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    You'll have to excuse me for not being round that much today, but now I've actually got off the road and arrived at my destination (about 200 miles south of where I usually am) I can sit back and really have a look at the frontpage.

All I can say is wow! great job guys, and I have no doubt this site will become one of the most popular hardware sites on the net.

I mean it's been what, just over a week since we went live and just look how much the site has grown since then, in just one week.

Congratulations to all of you. I'm blown away.:cheers::respect:

SPINNER
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    I think the frontend looks great
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited June 2003
    absolutly wonderful you guys!

heres to our fearless leaders!:beer:
  • dNA3DdNA3D Brunei
    edited June 2003
    Looking great guys. However, you could expand the "Latest News" section so that we won't have to click on the link to actually read the post.
  • edited June 2003
    i don't know if this has been posted somewhere else, but i don't really care. whenever i go to the homepage i get one of these annoying error boxes, i know you can turn of java debug in internet explorer options but i can't be bothered. Also an error box like this might send a lot of people running for the hills....... i think it pops up when the microsoft ad loads but i am not sure.

:rolleyes: