Poll: Future Of The SMx Project

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited December 2006 in Folding@Home
This project began in January of 2002. As hard as it is to believe, in just over a month we will mark the fifth anniversary of our Team 93 combined effort to boost the Folding@Home research program. During that time, some of the computers which were considered viable contributors at the time have slipped into near obsolescence. I doubt that very many of you who are reading this still use the same computer you had five years ago.

The question before us now is whether we should press on by adding new rigs, put our efforts into upgrading the older rigs in our lineup, or a combination of both.

This is a NON-BINDING poll. The whole idea right now is to take the pulse of the team, not to decide a particular strategy at this point in time. Voting has been made public, since quite frankly we are going to give more weight to the opinions of those who have been the most active in supporting the project and the team in the past.

If you'd like to be involved in helping us begin actively working toward getting our SMx Project back in high gear, we would really appreciate your input. Any parts you have which you would consider donating to the project would also be much appreciated. Just send me a PM and I'll be happy fill you in. Our critical needs are Motherboards, Memory, and CPUs. :fold:

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I think with the way the SMx Project is run, we should put more effort in getting current setups running faster. Than again some of those systems are close to some of the old rigs I still use daily. So I also feel putting new rigs to help expand the SMx project will also be a good idea.

I think if any upgrade path is chosen we eliminate the systems that use parts that are no longer available at retail. I think that is about 40% of out SMx rigs. No matter how we do it, team 93 will gain in points and all will be good :)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I voted to do both, with an emphasis on the older rigs. I wouldn't mind a total concentration on older rigs for some time, either.

I've noticed we've had less people applying to be hosts, so let's use this time build up interest and get cost-effective folding points :thumbsup:
    No matter how we do it, team 93 will gain in points and all will be good :)
    Well said!
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited November 2006
    Is there an SMx unit(s) in the UK if so what location? Or a contact?

Perhaps the very old units could be canibalized to give some of the other older ones a bit more productive life, saving on cost put towards new rigs.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited November 2006
    I voted to upgrade the older units. Since the tinkers have gone, a few have got to be close to not making the deadlines.

Prof, how accurate is the SMX rigs list? How did the last round of upgrades go?

I only ask because SM6 is listed as a 2.5ghz. celery. (It's not :bigggrin: )

Gargoyle summed up my feeling "...cost effective folding points".
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    Kentigern wrote:
    We need a couple of real go-getters to take charge. Any takers? :clap: :ukflag:
    Perhaps the very old units could be cannibalized to give some of the other older ones a bit more productive life, saving on cost put towards new rigs.
    That's a great point. We don't want to replace an entire rig if we can help it, and we have a number of older rigs which have motherboards capable of a decent CPU upgrade. A simple pop-and-drop of the processor would bring them up to current standards without any further ado. Any of you folks that have an old Athlon XP in the 2000+ to 2500+ range that you aren't using and that you don't need could singlehandedly help us turn a poky old computer into a fairly robust Folding machine.

There are a few computers in our lineup which would need a new MB to support a better CPU, but I'd guess that some of our members have a still-useful old board laying around that will do nothing but gather dust until the day they do their Spring Cleaning and toss it in the trash.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Here are my thoughts:

In my opinion it would be a money pit to 'upgrade' older machines. Because about the only worthwhile upgrade that you are gonna do to them is to practically build a new system. So why not just leave them alone and build newer machines. Granted some money could be saved by sending the new hardware to the existing hosts as a result of not having to buy another case I want to see the SMx project continue to expand and fulfill its mission rather than drift into 'Maintenance Mode".

I know that building these machines takes money and/or parts, but what would be cool is if someone could code a bar graph of some type that would keep track of donations, and how far away we are from building the next rig. That may give people more encouragement to donate if they could see exactly how much of a need there is, and that they are indeed making a difference. and maybe split the bargraph into 6 or 7 parts, depending on what goes in one (mobo, proc, mem, NIC, CD/DVD,...) that way if one of those parts gets donated, it could be set to 'paid for' on the graph. I'm aware that the idea needs refining, but I believe that it could work.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I'd like to see both happen, but we should be cautious. Too many older systems can become money pits, like Andy said. If it's financially prudent (at this juncture) to max out the processors or something like that where we'd see a good investment in points return for the money spent on upgrading, then by all means lets do it.
    edited November 2006
    Right. I think there are only a couple instances where we should replace a motherboard in an existing rig:
    1. The new motherboard will be used with the existing processor in the SMx rig, providing either better stability or a better overclock.
    2. The new motherboard is accompanied by a new CPU, and is so much more powerful than the old SMx setup that it's okay to discard (not reassign) the old mobo/cpu from an electricity usage perspective.

Otherwise, new motherboard/cpu combos would probably be best directed to a new rig. SM11 is about as good of a Socket A system as it can be, and SM24 is the best P3 system it can be. Some of the other rigs have room for drop-in upgrades, though.

I don't see GPU folding be prudent to direct funds into, yet. I'm all in favor of the SMx committe buying me a PS3, however :D
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    A dual upgrade/replace path looks best to me. If a mobo will supprt a fairly modern CPU then let's do it. If not, then a cheap C2D mobo and CPU will crack a lot of points.

Sorry to say, but I see hosting the bigger issue. I don't host. I am running two machines at home on dial-up now. Of course I have three of my own machines in my office at work using their power and internet connection.
    Do we have people that can/will host more machines?
    edited November 2006
    Kentigern wrote:
    profdlp wrote:
    We need a couple of real go-getters to take charge. Any takers? :clap: :ukflag:
    The SMx project is global now, right? Or do we no longer have enough funds to ship new rigs across the pond? Alternatively, in the case of non-North America rigs, we could use the older system of donors shipping parts directly to the host to assemble if the donors are closer to the new host than Prof's SMx Testing and Distribution Centre™, and fill in from the main parts bin where necessary.
    edited November 2006
    I want to and will host, though I'm not 18, so I can't sign the contract/legal papers to make sure that I don't run of with the rig. I've noticed that the SMx project has fallen into a metaphorical rut, and I want to see it get pulled out and cruising along again.

As far as the old old rigs, I think it would be smarter to just cut our losses and either let them keep folding if it is economical/efficient from an electrical usage point of view, or strip them of all useful parts (such as case..etc.) and then do something with the other parts, trash them or donate them to something that could still use them.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    airborn, I really don't undertstand what you're saying about "cutting our losses". Setting up an SMx rig takes a lot of coordination and effort. There's collecting the donations, shipping and buying parts (including the cursed case), and the host selection process. Replacing a mobo/cpu combo is WAY more cost and time effective than creating a new rig. As ed's timely reminder notes, we also have been having an off-and-on host shortage.

Personally, I'm entirely in favor of liquidating our old equipment stocks and setting a minimum standard and upgrading all rigs that fall below that level. It's a waste of the host's time and electricity to run an un-efficient folding machine, and I think we owe it to them to make sure their resources are well used. In fact, I'm entirely in favor of doing an annual upgrade... maybe make January "upgrade the project" month where anyone below the new standards gets a significant upgrade. (To be clear, I mean upgrade anyone below the level to a high level such that they will not need an upgrade for several years, not continually dragging a large number of machines up one notch).

I definitely think we can start rolling out some new rigs come spring, but for now I'd like to see us maximizing our current resources :cool:
    edited November 2006
    I definitely think we can start rolling out some new rigs come spring, but for now I'd like to see us maximizing our current resources :cool:

Well said Mr. Keebs
    edited November 2006
    Maybe a bad choice of words,

What I mean is that lets say we have a P3 rig that is as maxed out as its gonna get, about the only thing left to do is to drop a new mobo/cpu in. Which I'm not against. As we can't let the rigs lay to waste. But at the same time I want to see New rigs roll out. I can understand the amount of dedication, time, and money it takes to get the rigs rolled out, but I think we should have a goal to shoot for. Maybe a rig every 2-3 months?
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I voted for both with an emphasis on upgrading older rigs.
    It is more of a short term option though. The rigs will become obsolete faster than building new ones with newer gen hardware.

However a valid point has been raised.... There have been far less volunteers of late and I think that's because the SMX project was producing rigs at such a rate of knots at one stage, that almost every member of good standing, who qualified for a rig and was willing to host one, got one!

We will always need quality people to host and if supply outstrips demand that may not always happen.
    And then of course there's the age old business principle...It's always easier and more cost effective to service existing clients than look for new ones. To an extent I think that applies here.
    edited November 2006
    Winga wrote:
    ...emphasis on upgrading older rigs. It is more of a short term option though...

Exactly my point.
    edited November 2006
    It would take me ages to address all the good questions which have been raised since my last post if I quoted everyone, so here's the good ol' copy-and-paste version:
    Prof, how accurate is the SMX rigs list?

I only ask because SM6 is listed as a 2.5ghz. celery. (It's not )
    I would have said that it was 100% accurate to the best of my knowledge, but my knowledge increased somewhat with the second part of that post. :vimp:

Send me an updated parts list and I'll get on it. :)
    How did the last round of upgrades go?
    We attempted to have Hosts contact us privately with a request for an upgrade based on what their machine could best use. (i.e. "My board has a Duron 1600, but could handle as much as an XP 2800+")

It was not exactly what you might call a rousing success. :sawed:

We're working on a plan where we can publicly match donors with Hosts. What would you all think of a thread here in the Team Short-Media Forum where Hosts could post their needs (no, not those kind of needs, you pervs...), hopefully leading to volunteers from the team stepping up with a parts donation?
    ...what would be cool is if someone could code a bar graph of some type that would keep track of donations, and how far away we are from building the next rig...
    95% of the components in our 36 SMx rigs are from donated parts. The exceptions have been when we've had a computer all ready to go save for one crucial part. An example would be something like SM24 where we needed a pair of matched CPU's for the dual-socket MB.

The SMx Fund covers things like buying cases (we provide new ones, which look a lot nicer in the Hosts home), shipping costs, and emergency parts replacement.

Your idea is a good one, though. We'll look into having a place where we can list rigs under construction, highlighting the parts needed to finish them off. :)
    Too many older systems can become money pits
    ...I'm entirely in favor of liquidating our old equipment stocks and setting a minimum standard and upgrading all rigs that fall below that level...
    I'm all for that. We're not interested in going through all the rigmarole involved to bump a 1700+ up to a 1900+. If we can make it a 2500+, then now you're talking. :clap:
    I don't see GPU folding be prudent to direct funds into...
    I'm not disagreeing; I just don't know. But, what if a $150 graphics card turned a lame machine into a real powerhouse? Would there be support for spending some dough on one card to use as a guinea pig?
    Do we have people that can/will host more machines?
    Interest has been in steady decline for the last year. We recently opened a thread on the subject and a quick count shows that we had three people currently qualified who expressed interest, two of whom already Host a rig. (Which is not an obstacle in and of itself.) We also had some people who I think will be fine candidates who are waiting on their 18th birthday or need a little more time with the team to be considered veteran members.
    The SMx project is global now, right? Or do we no longer have enough funds to ship new rigs across the pond?
    We're still global and will ship anywhere we can find a qualified Host. At the same time, it would be dandy if a group of our teammates in a particular region got together to simplify things by building a rig locally. We would also save a bundle on shipping.
    As far as the old old rigs, I think it would be smarter to just cut our losses and either let them keep folding if it is economical/efficient from an electrical usage point of view, or strip them of all useful parts (such as case..etc.) and then do something with the other parts, trash them or donate them to something that could still use them.
    One idea is to sell the old parts on eBay, then plow the money back into the SMx Fund. What would you all think of that?
    ...I can understand the amount of dedication, time, and money it takes to get the rigs rolled out, but I think we should have a goal to shoot for. Maybe a rig every 2-3 months?
    For the first year I was building them, we averaged a new rig every single month. We also reissued several rigs due to Host turnover and replaced a few others which had gone AWOL. As has been pointed out, maintaining a steady stream of qualified Hosts has become a big problem.

We have no intention of turning the SMx Project into a closed club of three dozen Hosts who get annual upgrades. As long as we have new faces who really want to Host one of our rigs and are qualified, we want to keep rolling out new computers. Several teams have emulated our project and a few have gone on to have more computers than we do at the moment. That doesn't set well with me. :ninja:

In simple terms, if we have enough people willing to become a Host and enough parts, we can upgrade old rigs and build new ones quite rapidly. :thumbsup::fold:
    edited November 2006
    All great stuff Prof, I also believe the recycle parts to Ebay or our very own Deal Depot is a great idea and a good way to keep the funds flowing for the SMx project.
    edited November 2006
    Prof wrote:
    We're working on a plan where we can publicly match donors with Hosts. What would you all think of a thread here in the Team Short-Media Forum where Hosts could post their needs (no, not those kind of needs, you pervs...), hopefully leading to volunteers from the team stepping up with a parts donation?
    Sounds good!
    Prof wrote:
    We're still global and will ship anywhere we can find a qualified Host. At the same time, it would be dandy if a group of our teammates in a particular region got together to simplify things by building a rig locally. We would also save a bundle on shipping.
    Agreed. My only point was to supplement the shortfalls with the main parts bin, but I guess I'm pointing out the obvious :)
    Garg wrote:
    I don't see GPU folding be prudent to direct funds into...
    Prof wrote:
    I'm not disagreeing; I just don't know. But, what if a $150 graphics card turned a lame machine into a real powerhouse? Would there be support for spending some dough on one card to use as a guinea pig?
    Last time I checked, there were no AGP cards authorized for use by F@H. Sure, they can be hacked into working, but personally I think we should wait to spend money until something is officially supported and is guaranteed not to send back junk data. Plus, these more powerful GPUs may require PSU upgrades in some rigs. Many rigs have bargain-basement PSUs.
    Airborn wrote:
    I'm still hesitant to upgrade mobo/cpu at the same time, and offer the stipulations in post #9 again. What do people think about those?
    Remember, the current mobo/cpus are producing points already. Unless the motherboard prevents the SMx unit from producing points at our new minimum standards, it would probably be best to keep it as is and make the new mobo/cpu combo an additional rig. Mainly because 2 rigs are better than 1. The side issues of a mobo upgrade are also important: if we upgrade to a new platform, we might need to get a new PSU and RAM as well, which could increase the upgrade cost by 50 to 100%. At which point, let's just finish the job with a case and call it a new rig.

I'm completely in favor of dropping in better CPUs or RAM, but am hesitant about motherboards. Definitley a case-by-case sort of thing where we'd want to compare current ppd and potential.
    edited November 2006
    All seems like great constructive ideas guys.

I especially like the recycling the parts that are of no further use to us into ebay. I would also like to see exactly what the option are on the GPU folding, and what kind of return in ppd we can expect from one for the money.

and Garg shares my sentiments about upgrading older rigs to a new platform, why not just let the older ones keep folding, get a new case and call it a new rig.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I'm completely in favor of dropping in better CPUs or RAM, but am hesitant about motherboards.
    I think it's important to remember the old parts wouldn't be a waste - they could be sold for money that could then be used toward building new rigs. Replacing multiple parts in an older rig is economical because we save money for every part that isn't replaced, it makes better use of our existing hosts, and we get money back for every replaced part.

I think the motivation for building new rigs is to get more people involved and not at all fiscal. In terms of team money, time, and hosts' electric bills, I think it makes more sense to upgrade.

That said, I do not favor the cessation of new rig creation at all. I simply think we need to take a month or two and direct our efforts at seriously upgrading our fleet. :)
    edited November 2006
    All seems like great constructive ideas guys.
    Absolutely! :celebrate
    I especially like the recycling the parts that are of no further use to us into ebay.
    That idea is on the fast track right now. :)
    I would also like to see exactly what the option are on the GPU folding, and what kind of return in ppd we can expect from one for the money.
    Let's see if we can dig up some hard data on the subject. The point made about the increased PSU requirements is a good one, too. We'll need to do some real research to make this a possibility.
    and Garg shares my sentiments about upgrading older rigs to a new platform, why not just let the older ones keep folding, get a new case and call it a new rig.
    What would everyone recommend as a reasonable lower limit on CPU power?

When I moved in the Summer of 2004 I "retired" (to the dumpster) a P200 and a P166 rig. They were doing about 50ppw and, at the time, that almost seemed worth keeping. It was the cost of having them hauled nearly 600 miles that made me decide to scrap them. Since then I've also stopped Folding on a pair of K6-3/400 rigs; it wasn't worth the electricity after the deadlineless WU's dried up. I know there are some people who wouldn't want anything in their lineup lower than a couple GHz.

How about a Poll on the subject? :headbange
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    As a host of the best Folding Rig in the SMx project (SM19, you can pay me later for that line)... She gets REALLY jealous when a new sister rig is sporting the "BLING" and gets all the attention. While I have upgraded her a few times, the SMx project has offered up a dual CPU, and a nice P4 3 GHz system. My sweet SM19 is running an Athlon 1900+. She's doing just fine, right now. If we crank out a few NEW SMx rigs next year, none of them are gonna be under 2.0 GHz. By 2008, SM19 will be turning in less than half the points while using the same amount of electricity.

If we upgrade old systems so every SMx rig is at least 1.8 GHz... the host would be spending about the same about to power them but getting more out of them.

In general, hosts are doing this for the honor and the joy of seeing the project prosper. Shouldn't they be rewarded every few years with a newer setup? Why should someone put their name in for a 2500+ when the next SMx could be a 3000+? Which is gonna crank out more?

I vote we get every SMx rig to at least 2.0GHz/ 1800+ by 2008 (a bit over a year.) In the mean time, we try to issue a new rig or two (maybe more if there is interest and money).
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Shouldn't they be rewarded every few years with a newer setup?
    Certainly! I believe you should be due a Conroe 2.2Ghz approximately 2011.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited November 2006
    i think we should have some sort of increasing minimum level of WU's Per X time, and when a rig falls under the WU's Per X time we end of life the unit. donate it to churches, charity boys and gilrs club etc.

i think thats a good method of renewing the machines we have out in the enviroment now. say we set the minimum level of WU's at 30 per month, in 6 months we can increase it to 40WU's a month, any thing that falls under 40WU's for X ammount of time can be end of life'd and if we get a good stream of donations in, we can send a processor or some ram to increase the WU's but at least this way you have a base line, a minumum of what we want back as a return for the electricity, shipping, and mantanance on the units. as well as stopping older units form becoming money pits just to get the WU's needed to keep it out of EOL

but i say we come up with a system for EOLing older units.

arrrggg, i need to quit my job, lol
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Armo has a good point... why fixate on CPU speed? Why not work towards production? Just a thought.....
    edited November 2006
    I think it's important to remember the old parts wouldn't be a waste - they could be sold for money that could then be used toward building new rigs.
    If we can sell them, I'm all for it. I don't know how easily we could sell them, though. Maybe we could put together a lot of retired parts and put it on eBay?
    Replacing multiple parts in an older rig is economical because we save money for every part that isn't replaced, it makes better use of our existing hosts, and we get money back for every replaced part.
    True, I'm just concerned about instances where the only part we're not replacing is the case. However...
    QCH2002 wrote:
    I vote we get every SMx rig to at least 2.0GHz/ 1800+ by 2008 (a bit over a year.) In the mean time, we try to issue a new rig or two (maybe more if there is interest and money).
    This, with adjustments for Armo's point about the SMx's actual production (although it correlates to CPU MHz) is a good idea. Sure, the cutoff point we choose will be arbitrary, but we'll be able to prioritize the rigs that are farthest below that cutoff, so no issue there. That gives us a framework we can really work with. :thumbsup:
    edited November 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Let's see if we can dig up some hard data on the subject. The point made about the increased PSU requirements is a good one, too. We'll need to do some real research to make this a possibility.
    I'm estimating about 150ppd from an X1600PRO. I hear the X1650s use less power, and I think they're supposed to perform about the same?

For reference, here's a table of ppd of other cards:
    +-------------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
    | Project Name|p2711|p2719|p2721|p2722|p2723|p2725|
    |  Point Value| 220 |  1  | 220 | 220 | 220 | 220 |
    |X1900GT      | 331 |     |     |     | 342 | 313 |
    |X1900XT 256MB| 362 |     |     |     |     | 417 |
    |X1900XT 512MB| 499 | 229 | 506 | 481 | 549 | 514 |
    |X1900XTX     | 529 |     |     |     |     | 515 |
    |X1950XTX     | 505 |     |     |     | 579 | 505 |

All I have to go on is the one guy in this thread that reported his frame times.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited November 2006
    I voted for "Do both, with an emphasis on upgrading the older rigs" I have very little time these days to get on the computer, so it is hard for me to keep updated on the team right now. But have no fear I keep IC13 in check hospital bed or no hospital bed. I know whatever the team decides will be the right choice, fold on guys :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    why fixate on CPU speed? Why not work towards production?
    CPU speed is the only practical estimate of a system's relative productivity. We can't accurately gauge an SMx rig's efficiency based on number of work units completed in a given time period. WUs are all over the map with respect to time required for processing. It's nearly impossible to predict future WU complexities. There is data available on WU time requirements for typical hardware configurations, but that's only of limited value, as new work units are continually introduced and old units retired. If there has been any constant in the Folding@Home distributed program, it is that there is a direct relationship between CPU power and work unit productivity.