F'ing awesome!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Nomad wrote:
    True, but Costco whey tastes like smegma :(
    :eek3:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I am very discouraged and also a little worried. I am starting to think I have some metabolic problem. It doesn't matter how much or how little I eat. I've experimented; whether I take in a mere 1300 calories a day for two weeks or 2200 calories a day for two weeks, my weight is 100% constant with no fluctuation. Since the day I started I am the same exact weight - 236 pounds. My diet completely changed for over a month, I was taking in 1300-1500 calories a day and being absolutely fanatical about it... After a month of that with absolutely no differences in weight, shape, or how I feel, I started to think about whomever brought up "starvation mode". I added some calories to my daily intake, up to 2000 on some days, then shock back to 1300-1500 for a few days, etc... Still nothing. Nada.

I don't get much sleep. Could this be a factor?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    At the start:
    DSC_0145_DXO.jpgDSC_0144_DXO.jpg

Current:
    DSC_0047.jpgDSC_0048.jpg

It's amazing. I can already see a difference. My t-shirt isn't as tight against my stomach. My face seems slimmer too. Seeing progress makes me even more motivated!
    edited March 2007
    dude, nice work. :D
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Well, I've been stuck at 153-154 for about a week and a half. With my frame and height I think if I got down to around 140-144 I'd be in peak condition. But I can't seem to get there. I'm working out two to three times per week, I sometimes eat a lunch, always supper.

I've just hit a plateau. My weight hasn't budged much of anywhere. Though I have noticed my arms have gotten bigger, my legs are tighter and stronger and I feel a whole lot better. Not to mention my pecks. They are rock hard, but they are there. NICE! I've always had a fairly weak body, and now the difference in my attitude is a complete u-turn. I find myself more outspoken (yikes, I already was), outgoing, and less self conscious.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited March 2007
    Wow Kwitco, you can see a major difference. Your face seems so much slimmer, keep up the great work.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Nice job Kwitko, you can definitely tell. Brian, have you maybe tried speaking to your doctor about it?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2007
    Kwitko, that is quite a dramatic improvement. You are definitely on the right track.

Good for you, man. :cheers:
    I am very discouraged and also a little worried. I am starting to think I have some metabolic problem. It doesn't matter how much or how little I eat. I've experimented; whether I take in a mere 1300 calories a day for two weeks or 2200 calories a day for two weeks, my weight is 100% constant with no fluctuation...
    Are you getting any exercise at all? I'd be willing to bet that a brisk 30-minute walk once a day would get things going in the right direction for you.
    ...I don't get much sleep. Could this be a factor?
    Sure. Lack of sleep and the fact that your diet keeps changing could well throw your body into panic mode, causing it to hold onto your fat reserves "just in case".

Try the walking suggestion. My guess is that the weight will start to peel off - and you're likely to sleep better, too. :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I think Steve is right on target. If I were you, I'd be targeting about 2000 calories per day and walking at least 2 miles each day. Once you start taking in way too few calories, your body kicks into starvation mode and holds onto every ounce of fat as long as it can by slowing down your metabolism. You say you suspect a metabolic problem; I'd think that you may be inadvertently causing it.

//edit: I see you mentioned the starvation mode concept in your original post. That's what I get for responding to the quoted parts of your post only! ;)

My manager is on a medically-monitored diet. He takes in about 600 calories per day and he's lost 91 pounds so far on the diet. He works out at the gym about an hour a day. He's estimated his weight loss at about a pound a day. When doing something like this, though, it is absolutely critical that it be monitored by a doctor. He has said that with the additional exercise, he's actually needing less sleep than he used to need.

How little sleep are you getting? Exhaustion does really strange things to the body.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    hrm... I am down 8lbs... I ain't even dieting really. I just went back to buying uber cheap food(ramen, tuna, etc..).

Though I did do this:http://www.cleansingorsurgery.com/saltwaterflush.htm

I am gonna give the whole thing a shot though and see how I feel after because since the saltwater flush, I've been feeling allot better digestive wise. And whats cheaper than salt, lemons, water and syrup for a week? ;)
  • edited March 2007
    You should have an elimination in 1 to 2 hours, though everyone is a little different. Be careful not to pass gas, except on the toilet, since it may be liquid coming through

Are you doing this everyday ? Can't imagine sitting at the office and then realize I have to run to the bathroom only to be stuck on a conference call or something, or worse on the road,
    I have been looking into this I have a bad case of GERD and was reading could be a good way to start a fresh

I applaud you all, I just weighed myself and I broke the 200lb mark, I usually run between 180-185 but it crept up on me and being over 40 much harder to shed add to it I just quit smoking 5 days ago ( guess you have to pick your battles ) been on a primarly yoguart and salad diet, chicken, tuna, trying to stay away from red meat,, eating something every 3 hours or so helps usually yooguart or fruit, staying away from white bread,

sorry to run on about this but its helpful to vent once in a while :)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    hhahahahahahahahahah NO! I don't do it everyday... Ever drink saltwater before? Literally, the very thought of it makes my throat hurt.

Thing to note; it must be sea salt, water should be lukewarm, and drunk on an empty stomach, makes me feel nauseous for a few minutes as well. I'll sip on some cold water in the meantime to help out. About an hour later... well words don't describe it really. But after about 5 hours you probably will need to do a bit of cleaning up inside the toilet so it don't look nasty. Don't fart or anything either unless you're on the toilet, and stay near that toilet.

It says to use filtered water, or at least an article I found said so, because tap water will actually clear out the good bacteria in your system. The lemon drink helps further clean your system over a week, supposedly this is a good thing to do to clean out toxins in your system before a big diet change. And supposedly better than going in for a colonic.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited March 2007
    Kwitko, that's excellent progress.
    edited March 2007
    Salt is going to bloat you badly.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Nomad wrote:
    Salt is going to bloat you badly.

Funny. I not only look thinner, but have lost weight and have kept it off and haven't actually started the diet yet as I am looking at what I've been eating so I can keep the same calories but adjust the kind of calorie I am taking as it seems to be just right and has kept me pretty full. Like just now I made a 3 egg omelet, using 4 slices of bread and I am stuffed.

I doubt doing the salt flush ONCE a month is going to bloat anyone.

I am also drinking about a gallon+ of tea a day, no sweetener, green tea's with some regular Louisiana tea when I am at work(I'll add some Splenda here). Plus about an extra quart or so of just filtered water.

220lbs right now BTW, 10lbs less than when I was on a diet. I think the tea is doing a lot of good though too.
    edited March 2007
    RWB wrote:
    Funny. I not only look thinner, but have lost weight and have kept it off and haven't actually started the diet yet as I am looking at what I've been eating so I can keep the same calories but adjust the kind of calorie I am taking as it seems to be just right and has kept me pretty full. Like just now I made a 3 egg omelet, using 4 slices of bread and I am stuffed.

I doubt doing the salt flush ONCE a month is going to bloat anyone.

I am also drinking about a gallon+ of tea a day, no sweetener, green tea's with some regular Louisiana tea when I am at work(I'll add some Splenda here). Plus about an extra quart or so of just filtered water.

220lbs right now BTW, 10lbs less than when I was on a diet. I think the tea is doing a lot of good though too.

I'm trying to say there is no supplement for hard work and eating right. There's going to come a point soon where you're going to have to dump calories and start exercising. There's no way around that despite all the tricks in the world. If the salt thing makes you feel better, fine do it, but be realistic in the long term.

If the salt water is doing what it's supposedly claiming to do, it's burned no fat in your body. The weight you lost is water, because both sodium and tea are diuretics, or merely waste impacted into your intestines. This isn't meant to be discouraging, I just won't want you to wonder why you haven't lost weight at a certain point.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    When the hell did I say that I am gonna just drink salt water? I mean that just sounds absurd.... I do recall mentioning twice now that this is just something that is "said" to be good before changing or going on a real diet.
  • edited March 2007
    The lemon drink helps further clean your system over a week, supposedly this is a good thing to do to clean out toxins in your system before a big diet change.
    Whats the lemon drink ? I also read that it is good to cleanse the system as it will give you more energy as well, as I stated I just quit smoking on top of it and read it would work wonders to cleanse to rid the toxins,
    Not looking for a quick fix or trick just some reading I have done said that quiting smoking like all changes will send the body into a bit of a funk and there will even be days where you have no energy because the system is cleansing on its own but some help with it may go a long way
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Different article I can't find right now... it's a bit weird if you ask me becuase the way I read it, it wants you to do the salt drink every morning for a week or 2, and no food. You mix a lemon, with water, and some grade B or C (darker the better) Maple Syrup and drink that as a replacement for food as the maple gives nutrients the body needs due to lack of food, the lemons cleanse the system. And you mix some other kind of chemical in so that it firther cleanses the system(the description reminded me of Prime's sausage turd... gross.......)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    http://www.falconblanco.com/health/cleansing/lemoncleanse.htm

There it is... seems to "new age" to me, for a lack of a better description.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Salt water cleanses, colon cleanses.

None of that is real weight loss. Eat less, move more. That is the only solution.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Fiber!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Salt water cleanses, colon cleanses.

None of that is real weight loss. Eat less, move more. That is the only solution.

My god... you and your brother don't f**kin read! It's just a cleanse! It's not supposed to miraculously make you loose 20 lbs in a week! Get over it!
    edited March 2007
    Yeah you guys, at no point did RWB say anything about it being a weight loss thing. He was talking about cleanses :confused:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    RWB wrote:
    My god... you and your brother don't f**kin read! It's just a cleanse! It's not supposed to miraculously make you loose 20 lbs in a week! Get over it!

I've read every post in this thread. I'm simply saying that it's not directly going to make you lose weight, it's not going to indirectly make you lose weight, there's no clinical evidence that it does any bit of what it says, the actions might actually be unhealthy for you (Salt is an artery hardener and a heavy diuretic), and it's money that could be spent on nutritious food. What good is a cleanse in a weight loss thread? What do you hope to achieve by doing it?

You missed my point. :rolleyes: Thank you for being extremely and unnecessarily rude.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    You're welcome. And your right about the salt thing, however I doubt using it once every long while will cause anymore problems than going to a fast food restaurant. We're talking about 1 to 2 teaspoons of sea salt to a quart of water.

diuretic is very correct... grossly correct. ;)

BTW, The sea salt only costs $1-$2(hardly enough for much in terms of nutritious foods) and is plenty to last you for quite some time as an extra for foods that may need a pinch of salt here and there as well. It's also supposed to be a better salt than the normal salt we take in daily from other sources.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2007
    UPDATES!!!!!

Well here is mine...I guess its an update but more like I finally got to weigh myself on the scale that just arrived.

154.8 lbs, 11.4% body fat and 62.9 %TBW. The weight is actually lower than what I thought it would be, probably less than what I graduated High School at. The fat though I bet is higher. I probably lost muscle and gained some fat so overall weight went down a smidge. Not sure sure about the % water....but isnt it supposed to be like 70-80% or something? I did just go for a run and a 12 hour work day with only about 12 oz of water in the past 15-16 hours, but I normally do not get enough water.

I did leave my WoW guild the other day so I probably (read: hopefully) wont be playing as much and working/working out more instead. I dont really care about the weight, just want to drop some of that fat, esp on the gut.

How is everyone else doing?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Well, I'm still stuck at 153-154ish too. But I've started running with my german shepherd around my addition, which is about 3/4 of a mile. So hopefully if I do that at least 3 times a week I will drop some more weight as well as get in better shape. Because right now I can not run for any kind of distance. It kills me. Does anyone know if running gets you a shiny set of abs?