The Icrontic 30 pound challenge

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Uhmmm, no posts for a while here.

STATREP!

me:
    I used my wife's Gall Bladder removal surgery as an excuse and didn't go to the gym for the last month or so. Now I have a nice beer-and-cheeseburger belly. After trying to commit seppku with a hotdog, I started going back to the gym last week, trying to do at least twice a week. It's going OK, I'm surprised at how fast you can build it up in the beginning, and equally as surprised at how weak I am. I feel so lame.

Oh, and this was in the news today:
    http://mashable.com/2007/05/11/introplay/
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I've been doing horribly lately. I hadn't been to the gym in a while until yesterday. Yesterday my buddy dragged me in (he just joined) and I tried out his workout routine. He's trying to gain about 25 or 30 pounds, while I'm trying to put on at least fifteen at this point.

I worked my tri's and chest to the point of failure, and today I feel like my triceps have separated from the rest of my arm. I can barely even open a door.

Hopefully this more focused and intense workout will build mass quickly. We'll see... now that I have a workout partner I intend to go to the gym more often.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I have totally failed. :)

I weigh EXACTLY - to the tenth of a pound even! (235.8) what I did a year ago according to my doctor. However, the good news is:

My blood pressure is back to normal (it was very high a year ago)
    My cholesterol is healthy again (it was high a year ago)

I found out my TSH (thyroid stimulation hormone) level is still all messed up. I am on a lifetime prescription of Synthroid for thyroid disorder. My doc upped my prescription to 200mcg/day. Hopefully that will help with my energy levels since I just don't have the energy to do anything physical, ever.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I've been slacking the last few weeks. Haven't been sleeping well and only exercised maybe 3 days in the last two weeks. Been eating a ton, too. Surprisingly my weight hasn't changed.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited May 2007
    Brian, at least you have a truely viable problem that causes your condition.

I've let life get to me since we started this challenge.

It's not really an excuse, just something that happens. Miss the gym here, eat wrong there, it adds up..

The good news is I ahvent gained any weight since my last post. I'm still sitting right at 247.

The other good news is I've recommited myself to completing the goal I set for myself months ago. I actually feel like I can do it now, which is a huge mountain to get over.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Come on guys (myself included), do we really want to be 'that guy'? The typical computer guy? That's what they all expect... what do you say? (I begrudgingly say 'ohhh kaaay... :rolleyes: '
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited May 2007
    C'mon Bruce.. you haven't failed. Your blood pressure and cholesterol levels are better, and it's all because of your hard work. Life style changes are never easy, especially diet. It's common to make these changes in fits & starts so you guys are well within the curve.. after all, you are.. "Human."

Just keep at it (As I know you will) and I'll keep praying to the Creator, that He will grant you the things you need to succeed.
    edited May 2007
    Come on guys (myself included), do we really want to be 'that guy'? The typical computer guy? That's what they all expect... what do you say? (I begrudgingly say 'ohhh kaaay... :rolleyes: '

I for one am totally sick of being "that guy". :(

It hurts to look in the mirror sometimes.. Not 10 years ago I was in phenominal shape. I was 5'9" between 195 & 210. I ran 5 to 10 miles every other day, and had an average resting heart rate of 61 bpm.

I had a physical last Tuesday. It was pitiful....

My BP is so high that if I cannot get it under control in the next 4 months I'll have to go on drug therapy to reduce it. My HDL cholesterol is painfully high, and LDL is suffering too.

This was a HUGE wake up call for me. My fiance is 25, I'm 38. we want to have kids in a couple years. I'm afraid of becoming the "OLD" Dad that can't do anything with them, because my health is too poor.:(

I'm determined to turn this part of my life around.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    Tell your fiance that the best way for you to get in shape, cut some pounds, lower that cholesterol, and overall look better is more Vitamin P! Thats right more puntang! Nothing like getting sweaty at 2am! hehe

I admit, Ihave fell off the track as well. I havent been to the gym in over a month. I have ran a few times though. I believe I have the motivation (oh how many times I have had that) now that I got into college again and figured out its only a few weeks until country concert.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Back on track. Started the week off right with a good workout. Going to push myself to get at least 4 workouts in this week. Planning on getting some weights this weekend. Finally going to get some serious weight training in. I've been doing Tae Bo in the meantime. It's no joke. It's a tough workout, especially for someone who's been rather sentient the last few years.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2007
    My net weight loss at this point is 65.5 pounds. Add in the muscle I've gained over the last year and I figure my fat loss to be at least 75 pounds.

Suck it, slackers. ;)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    The 10 pounds I lost initially... I have kept off ;)... but I went back on the cheap food so I could afford rent and all that. I have increasingly gotten used to stir fry veggies though, without the extra grease... so I'm starting to buy more veggies with plenty of broccoli which seems to do a good job filling me up. Now that I am out of my money pinch I am gonna try again and see if I can get down to 300 soon.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I've not posted in this thread in awhile, so I'll give an update.

Last week I was sick, so Thursday and Friday I didn't make it into the gym. Whatever I had really kicked my ass, it's Monday and I'm still pretty exhausted. I went to the gym anyways though.

Right now my current weight is 155, up from 138 in December. I'm still trying to add mass. Near the end of school, I dropped about four pounds due to cafeteria choices really. I'm having a difficult time eating at home, it's hard to cook so much and find small things to eat that are good for you too. I'm at about four meals a day though.

My lifts have improved, although I've rearranged my focus in these past two weeks because a friend and I started training together Tuesday and Thursday.

Here are my stats from mid-December until now:
    Bench 85 -> 160 (Goal was bodyweight by summer. New goal is 200 by next year)
    Squat 115 (ATG) -> 205 (ATG) (Goal was 200 by summer. New goal is 300.)
    Deadlift 125 -> 295 (Goal is 300 by summer, but at this rate I want to hit 315)
    Mil. Press 45 -> 95 (Goal is 100, this is going to be a tough one)
    Bent Row 45 -> 125 (Goal is 135, should make this one)
    edited May 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    My net weight loss at this point is 65.5 pounds. Add in the muscle I've gained over the last year and I figure my fat loss to be at least 75 pounds.

Suck it, slackers. ;)

That's ****ing awesome. You've become my new inspiration to lose weight. I figure if a weakling senior citizen like yourself can lose weight, anybody can!
    something about working out

Shouldn't you be skippering a sloop or something?
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Yacht racing is Saturday, duh.
    edited May 2007
    Back on track!!!

Got on the scale this morning and I was down to 241 from 247 on the 16th!!

Also just had to go another notch in on the belt! Not in the "too tight uncomfortable" way either. In the "I need to tighten this so my pants won't fall down at work" way!

BTW: Weight Watchers Smart Ones frozen meals make great lunch alternatives - Most are only $1.75 - $2.00 at Target.... I buy a weeks worth of lunches for under $10.00!!
    edited May 2007
    Great news, RADA. :)
    edited June 2007
    There are plenty of "before" pictures around, so here are a few recent ones. I still have a ways to go, but I will make it.

I don't know why I look so serious in these shots, I was actually in a relatively jovial mood. :p
    edited June 2007
    :eek2:

Congrats!
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    :rockon::rockon::rockon:

:clap::clap::clap:

Outstanding !!! Way to keep your heart/mind in it. :thumbsup:
    edited June 2007
    Holy crap, Steve, that's frikkin' amazing progress! Excellent inspiration for my own endeavours.

I'd like to pull out some pics from last year's LAN and compare how I looked then to now. I've really kicked my workout routine into high gear- push-ups, crunches, reverse crunches, SWAT-style leg lifts, shadow boxing, bike riding on the off days to keep the cardio in step.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Yea excellent work Steve :thumbsup:
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited June 2007
    Fantastic job Prof!
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited June 2007
    :wave: Keep up the good work Prof :)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Am I the only fatty left around here? :bawling:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I'm gonna post some pics. I lost some weight and gained a little muscle but still consider myself a work in progress. I've got a little pudge left too. I've lost my access to weight room for the summer but I work 10 hours a day at a tractor dealership and am constantly moving 5 gallon buckets of oil, 100 pound tractor wheel weights and other crap so who needs one. I just want my arms to get bigger. They are so small.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    And one more
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    There are plenty of "before" pictures around, so here are a few recent ones. I still have a ways to go, but I will make it.

I have no doubt you will make it. You have made some amazing progress!
    And one more

HULK SMASH!
    edited June 2007
    Black Hawk wrote:

Not the only one ;)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Black Hawk wrote:

Well I am still above 300lbs, but not for long ;) I hit 310 the other day... but due to hanging out more than usual since then I am to 315 at the moment. I keep forgetting to bring my meals with me :bigggrin: But at least I know it's working.

yay for the microwavable dinner and 15 minute workout plan. :p