If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

power supply confusion

edcentricedcentric Icrontiannear Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Hardware
Ok, I have a brand new PSU, and I am using it to drive an old NF7 mobo.
Of course the mobo wants 20pin + 4 pin. No problem, the PSU has a 20+4 connector.
EXCEPT. The extra 4 pin PSU connector will not fit into the 4 pin socket on the mobo.
There is a 6 pin lead from the PSU, and it will fit in the socket, BUT it looks like the polarity is backward (blacks and yellows on oposite sides?)?

Have I just messed my mind up. Is there a problem here or not?

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Can you post a photo? I'm a little confused too, I think! ;)
  • edcentricedcentric Icrontian near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    No, I can't get a photo.
    I have an old (pre-SATA) is a Thermatake. on the 4 pin connector the two wires on the latch side are Yellow, the other two are Black.

On my new CoolerMaster PSU the six pin conector (that fits into the 4 pin socet on the mobo) has the Balck wires on the latch side and the Yellow wires on the other side.

I am going to the CM because this is my wifes computer and I am trying to make it quieter.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Don't cram the 6-pin into the 4-pin :eek2:

If the 4 pin doesn't fit, that doesn't make sense to me.... I thought they were and always have been standard across the board :(
    edited February 2007
    I'll try again. Of course this is in a case with a tower cooler so my hands don't quiet fit, but I'll find a way.
    tks ed
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Whoa! The 20+4 pin ATX connector is only for a 20 or 24 pin ATX socket. The +4 addition to the ATX connector is only for the main ATX socket. The 4-pin "P4" socket on the motherboard requires a separate (NOT ATX) P4 plug.
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I know.
    The confusion was that this PSU has 3 four pin connectors.
    One that is the extra for pins for the 24, one that is for something else, and the one that I needed. It was folded under the PSU.
    We are now booted and running.

Now I need to figure out how to control the CPU fan speed on an NF7.