Screwed and never again

edited March 2007 in Hardware
I bought a Compaq computer on Ebay from IBIS Computers. After I got it I decided to rebuild my other Compaq that was very similar to it. Only had the Ebay Computer on long enough to make me a couple of copies of Windows XP for my rebuild computer so at the time I didn't realize there was a problem.

So I decided to sell the computer that I bought on Ebay. And I could not believe the problems I had getting this thing setup for the lady for the Internet. The thing kept shutting down. And I was beginning to get mad. So I opened up the thing just to find the fan on the heatsink wasn't working and said a 4 letter word starting with "F". So I went to Staples and got a new fan. Put that one in and it didn't work either. So I had to look into this problem a little bit more. By the time I found what the problem was I was steaming. Some fool set the jumpers, which I didn't even know existed, to off. I set the jumper on fan1 to on and the fan took right off. The heatsink was staying cool. This is a classic case of some idiot "not knowing what he was doing."

The name is IBIS!!!!!

:wow:

NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY ANYTHING THAT HAS COMPUTER WRITTEN ALL OVER IT ON EBAY! MY FIRST BAD EXPERIENCE WAS WITH A HARDDRIVE WITH ONE TEENY TINY PARTITION THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN 120 GB'S. THIS PERSON GOT AN EMAIL FROM ME AFTER I REFORMATTED THIS THING.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Unfortunately, that can happen at eBay. There are many tech sellers there who absolutely no idea what they're selling except for the label on the box. I do quite a bit of deals on eBay, but I much prefer trading with like-minded computer here at Short-Media. Please acquaint yourself with our Deal Depot & Trading Post.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2007
    My general rule: eBay is a great place to sell, a horrible place to buy. I am always amazed at the prices people pay for used stuff on eBay they could get for less on another site....brand-frk'n-new!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    eBay can be a terrible place to buy, or a great place to buy, depending on how attentive you are. If you don't do your research and know well the item you are looking for, then yes, you can really get ripped off on eBay. Many of the "Buy Now" retail offerings on eBay are outrageous prices, that can easily by found cheaper at online vendors and even CompUSA. It seems to me that there must be a huge number of people that only shop eBay, believing that everything there is a good price. Ho noes, far be it from such.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I use Tex's rule when buying on eBay. I pick my price and stick to it. If I get outbid, I just wait for the item to list again. Nothing on eBay is ever listed just once, at least the stuff I buy. And nothing on eBay is worth paying more than you want. I love selling, because people will jack up their bids just to be the winner.

The one thing I get great deals on is toner. Retail for OEM toner carts for some our office printers run over $200. I've paid 60% of retail for brand new OEM carts, not refurb.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I have never-ever used ebay. All my trades have been on forums to people I trust and hope trust me. But even that's been a while since being broke :(