Windows SMP Open Beta

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    well I am using the account info and it is the admin on this laptop... Not to sure It can get more admin access than it has now.
  • edited March 2007
    well I am using the account info and it is the admin on this laptop... Not to sure It can get more admin access than it has now.

It is not security blocking, user access rights are granted, required software is installed. Well, I can not think of anything else right now :( I will let you know. You also let us know, if you solve the problem, okay?
    edited March 2007
    well I am working on it.. can't really think of anything else it could be.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited March 2007
    you have to switch off UAC on vista when running the install.bat
    http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic18556.html
    edited March 2007
    Trying it now.....
    edited March 2007
    I have to say Spike your find has paid off! It is chewing its first SMP WU
    edited March 2007
    No Problemo, ignore my team SM stats I have brought my home team from nowt to nearly top 100 in 14 months. I read the FCF daily:eek:
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I just installed the client on my core duo laptop at work and can't seem to connect to the assignment server. Setup was the same config as my service installs on this one, but it tries to connect and then fails :(
    Anyone got any ideas?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Don't know how much you've read, so forgive me if you the rest below:

- do NOT install as service
    - must have .net Framework 2.0 installed
    - must have installed on an account that is password protected (User Profiles)
    edited March 2007
    I had chosen the option for service, which I just removed when I reinstalled. I do have .net installed (3.0 IIRC), and my account has local admin rights on my laptop.
    23:28:48] + Attempting to get work packet
    [23:28:48] - Connecting to assignment server
    [23:29:09] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
    [23:29:09] + Could not connect to Assignment Server
    [23:29:09] - Successful: assigned to (0.0.0.0).
    [23:29:09] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [23:29:09] Work Unit has an invalid address.
    [23:29:09] - Error: Attempt #1 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.
    [23:29:17] + Attempting to get work packet
    [23:29:17] - Connecting to assignment server
    [23:29:38] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
    [23:29:38] + Could not connect to Assignment Server
    [23:29:39] - Successful: assigned to (0.0.0.0).
    [23:29:39] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [23:29:39] Work Unit has an invalid address.
    [23:29:39] - Error: Attempt #2 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.

That's what I'm getting.

Any ideas?
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I believe you have to also have .NET 2.0 installed. Different versions can co-exist, so installing it shouldn't cause a problem. I'm pretty sure I read something about this issue in particular.
    edited March 2007
    my account has local admin rights on my laptop.
    That's not relevant. The account under which Windows SMP is installed must be an account that is accessed through a password. It will NOT work if the account is not password protected. Logical or illogical, it's a fact.

Also, download and install .NET 2.0. Don't want to be a pain here, but I'm pretty sure the above steps will bring you success.
    edited March 2007
    In add/remove programs under updates, I show .net 1.1, hotfix for .net 1.1, .net 2.0, a pair of updates for .net 2.0 and .net 3.0.

Oh, and my account does have a password.

I'll try downloading the .net 2.0 again and reinstalling it.
    edited March 2007
    this message indicates no WU's available for the way you have the client configured server 0.0.0.0 is a dummy to avoid things like Me getting a Linux wu on an XP PC happened a month or so back.
    3:29:38] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
    [23:29:38] + Could not connect to Assignment Server
    [23:29:39] - Successful: assigned to (0.0.0.0).
    edited March 2007
    came in this morning to find my laptop is 18% done a 2610, currently working at about 30 minutes per frame.
    edited March 2007
    OKay I got SMP Client running again without an extra options changed, by doing this I got a new work unit and it is chugging away. 4 CPU's under 1 project :) woot... lets see if it finishes.

Here is the break down:

2130/60 = 35.5 Hours = 32.33 points per hour or 776.11 point per day.. seems kind of low for 4 CPU's crunching, I'll let it pass into it 2nd WU before hosing this down...
    edited March 2007
    22x100=2200/60 = 36.6 Hours = 31.36 points per hour or 752.78 point per day.. seems kind of low for 4 CPU's crunching, I'll let it pass into it 2nd WU before hosing this down...

Is this on your 2xXeon with HT? I think my Opteron is crunching the on the same project at home (it's getting about 20min/frame, too).

I think those are actually pretty good points. I don't think running four regular clients would get you more points than that.
    edited March 2007
    on average 4 clients running 396 point projects take 2 1/2 days. I guess it is a fair trade... and maybe a bit faster :)
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited March 2007
    ok my client is up and running. I hope i used the correct settings. Was i supposed to set adv-methods on always. I didn't do that. I sure hope em3 is updated soon, had to install fahmon that seems to be working but i'm more used to em.

Status is that i'm folding a 2652 at 1% finished, the temp is at 53C and the 4 cores seem to use about 100MB of ram. So far so good. I'll post back when i get an eta.
    edited March 2007
    Ok then. ETA 1 day 13 hours at 9% complete. Looks like i'm gonna make the deadline with time to spare, at least this time. My computer is idling at the moment.
    edited March 2007
    I just had a WU that was 56% done crash on me. The only reason I even noticed was because my CPU temp was reading really low. The console didn't report an error, but all four instances of the folding core had shut down.

When I restarted, I had four notices from Windows that my system had recovered from a serious error. Grr. :mad:
    edited March 2007
    I just lost a unit that was 90% complete. I had just installed some video drivers and needed to reboot, so I shut down Folding properly (Ctrl+C). When I rebooted the computer and restarted Folding, it downloaded a new unit. The log showed that the previous unit was shut down properly. Beats me! Just one of those beta things.
    edited March 2007
    Man, I just lost another one. This one at 48%. My computer restarted spontaneously when some static electricity zapped the USB port. When it restarted, the client said that checksums didn't match. Started over. :(

Not that any of this helps the Stanford people, because it didn't communicate with the server to say a WU didn't complete. It just started over on the same one I had. Same thing it did last time I lost a WU partway.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    My first one is up and running. I'll be keeping an eye on this.
    My stock speed E6300 C2d is running a 2651 at 20 min/frame.
    edited March 2007
    I got SMP running on the Laptop again, this time it is a new core and she is at 13% so I beat the 8% evilness thus far, I think on my way home I will leave it turned on just incase a restart was the issue :)

It looks to be pushing out 1% every 18 minutes...
    edited March 2007
    Let us know what work unit that is, when you have the opportunity to check it.

please :)
    edited March 2007
    I now know why people mention 2610 so much, it's really heavy on the ram. Each core takes up 85MB. It seems to take about 40 min per frame.

If my computer can fold even a wu as heavy as this without issues i can prolly stop worrying. :) Those above my in the ranks though should start. :fold::rarr:
    edited March 2007
    85MB? I'm running three 2610s right now, two desktops and one laptop. They are all using more than 600MB of memory.
    edited March 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    85MB? I'm running three 2610s right now, two desktops and one laptop. They are all using more than 600MB of memory.

That's your whole system, though. If you look at your process tab, it'll list the memory usage for each folding core. My system uses about 200mb on its own.
    edited March 2007
    Yeah Windows XP SP2 will consume 300~330MB by itself... let alone if you have any background programs running.

Core for the lappy is a 2651 - 1760 points

My system PF is in the 840's but than again it is Vista and looking at the sweet Resource monitor in Vista I can see the FahCore sucking up 270MB of memory :)