Windows SMP Open Beta

1235»

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I'm impressed! It's not documented to run as a service. You are a hacker - a white hat type. :D

OK, have you actually completed work units with this configuration. (Sorry, I had to ask.) Once you are convinced it's stable, you should post this information over at the Folding Community Forums in the Windows SMP Client sub-forum.
  • sgstairsgstair Reverse Engineer Redmond, WA Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Indeed I haven't yet completed a unit, but it's working exactly as it did in the command window, so I expect it will work properly. Also since it's running under my username, rather than the generic SERVICES username, I don't see anything that would prevent it from woeking.

Either way, we'll know in about a day, I'll post when the first unit gets completed. :)
    edited August 2007
    I'll post when the first unit gets completed.
    Please do. Ensure you save copies of logs (or that logs aren't overwritten with new ones) to document your success. Good work.
  • 7im7im AZ
    edited August 2007
    Yes, please do add any additional suggestions you have to this Folding Forum thread...

I'm running Windows SMP client as a service!!!
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I too have been running as a service. ( on Vista to boot ) No problems. I also used the same method. I found the same method in the thread that 7im linked to. I have completed 14 work units "as a service"

NOTE
    The important thing to remember here is this is a beta client that will stop working after a month or so. So be sure that you are monitoring the client on a daily basis at least, to catch any troubles or stoppages.

Scott
    edited August 2007
    Ok, nice - Yeah, I have been and will continue to monitor the client very closely (via fahmon as well as the logfiles) - I just really dislike having the command window open all the time. (yeah, I know there are other solutions to that...)
    I see this service arrangement is indeed in circulation, I posted my notes here because I didn't see anything else around about it... but I haven't generally been on the larger folding boards about it.
    edited August 2007
    Oh, high 7im, thanks for dropping in!

You are always welcome here. We have many dedicated Folders here that care deeply about the research. Many of us have been Folding since nearly the beginning of the project's release to the public. (Team 93...low number.) Our community, although serious about what we do, is fairly easy going and quite friendly. Hope you can feel at home here, whether your visits are regular or occasional.
    edited August 2007
    In other news, my SMP client has successfully turned in it's first WU now - +1760 points :) So far so good...
    edited August 2007
    sgtstair, scott, when you are sure the SMP service is stable, please document it over at Folding Community. That valuable information that will help make a difference in future Folding clients.
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo: never mind that 7im's link -was- to Folding community, where it is most certainly documented as well as I could hope for. ;)