Moving a large file?

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited March 2007 in Hardware
Why can't I move a 4.7 gb file from an NTFS disk to a FAT32 Disk? I've even tried burning it to a DVD first, then moving, but I get the same dialogue box. This is beginning to urk me, so does anyone know what the problem is?

Also, I should note that on the drive I'm moving from there is 140Gb of free space, the drive I'm moving to there is 110Gb of free space, and my system disk has 22Gb of free space. What gives?
err.JPG 18.1K

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    It's probably a page file error (swap error). Do you have your drives' page files set to custom or default settings? Try the Windows default setting, see if that works.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    This is a brand new windows install, so everything is factory fresh.

This install is actually about to get nuked as soon as I get this file on my storage drive. Do you think increasing the pagefile size would ease my troubles?

EDIT//

Okay, I just increased the maximum pagefile size to 6 gigs, still no dice. At first I thought it was related to my OS (system) partition size, so I increased it from 6 to 22 or whatever, no dice. So I'm running towards the end of the rope as far as I know what to do.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    What about zipping/RARing it into into more manageable chunks?
    edited March 2007
    Well, I'm formating the storage drive back as NTFS at the moment, because now I'm into this enough I want to find out what my problem is. and if changing the filesystem fixes it, then I can figure it was related to that. If I still have problems I'll chunk it.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    You cannot create a single file larger than 4Gb on FAT32.

Ihere's the M$ article : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463/

<TABLE class="list ul"><TBODY><TR><TD class=bullet>•</TD><TD class=text>Clusters cannot be 64 kilobytes (KB) or larger. If clusters are 64 KB or larger, some programs (such as Setup programs) may incorrectly calculate disk space.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bullet>•</TD><TD class=text>A FAT32 volume must contain a minimum of 65,527 clusters. You cannot increase the cluster size on a volume that uses the FAT32 file system so that it contains fewer than 65,527 clusters.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bullet>•</TD><TD class=text>The maximum disk size is approximately 8 terabytes when you take into account the following variables: The maximum possible number of clusters on a FAT32 volume is 268,435,445, and there is a maximum of 32 KB per cluster, along with the space required for the file allocation table (FAT).</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bullet>•</TD><TD class=text>You cannot decrease the cluster size on a FAT32 volume so that the size of the FAT is larger than 16 megabytes (MB) minus 64 KB. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=bullet>•</TD><TD class=text>You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it. Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk.

For additional information about how to use a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk to format a hard disk, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 255867 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255867/EN-US/) How to Use Fdisk and Format to Partition/Repartition a Hard Disk
    NOTE: When you attempt to format a FAT32 partition that is larger than 32 GB during the Windows XP installation process, the format operation fails near the end of the process, and you may receive the following error message: Logical Disk Manager: Volume size too big.
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=bullet>•</TD><TD class=text>MS-DOS, the original version of Microsoft Windows 95, and Microsoft Windows NT 4.0-and-earlier do not recognize FAT32 partitions, and are unable to start from a FAT32 volume. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=bullet>•</TD><TD class=text>You cannot create a file larger than (2^32)-1 bytes (this is one byte less than 4 GB) on a FAT32 partition.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>For additional information about the FAT32 file system, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Looks like you'll have to RAR it.;)
    edited March 2007
    So I suppose that is my problem. Well, I'm formatting to NTFS right now. Aren't we about due for a new file system, something universal that everything will adapt? NTFS goes clear back to window NT doesn't it? if it does, then that puts it some where around 10 years old if I'm doing my math correctly.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    No good reason these days not to use NTFS.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    You're right. NTFS has been around for a while, but it is one of the things M$ did right. It is very stable and you can recover an NTFS system even after a complete trashing most times. It is a double redundant file system so most times you can always find the file info.

They have been working on a new file system which was supposed to come out with the new server OS late this year, but last I remember hearing in their sheets was it was being postponed for "a while".
    edited March 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    No good reason these days not to use NTFS.

Well the main reason I used it was so that the other Os's on my planned tripple boot could read/write, but it looks like I will have to settle of read only. last time I heard linux/OSx could only read an NTFS volume.
    edited March 2007
    I think read/write from Linux is fairly mature now. The reason it may not be 100% is because NTFS is a journaling file system, and I don't know how Linux handles writes to its journal.

A little snooping on the NTFS driver in Linux: "It does not support creation of new files or deletion of existing files."

//EDIT: A little more snooping uncovered this: http://wiki.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfsmount
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    What about the newest Ubuntu beta supporting mounts from GUI and read/writes to NTFS? How is this accomplished? Did I misread it?
    edited March 2007
    It probably uses ntfsmount. This is purely conjecture. Do you have a link to where it shows the beta supports NTFS reads/writes?