Who wants SM17?

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    New List:
    mondi
    QCH2002
    heSmJ

The last few machines people have been able to add their name into the selection for a week. And then a commitee will decide who it goes to.

Do you want to be grilled with questions?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    mmonnin said
    I do, I do!! :p

Nothing so formal, QCH ;)
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    mmonnin said

Can I have the pleasure. :D

/me Gets the thumb screws, bright lamp and boiling water ready
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    QCH: WHERE WERE YOU ON THE NIGHT OF TUESDAY, JUNE 17TH AT APPROXIMATELY 6:30 PM EASTERN STANDARD TIME?

Answer carefully...... maybe it was YOU who brought the server down last night :)

___

Naw, we don't grill people for folding machines, do we?
    edited June 2003
    primesuspect said

Naw, we don't grill people for folding machines, do we?

We never used to, but we can always start :nudge:

/me hides his thumb screws, bright lamp and boiling water behind his back, hoping that Prime didnt see. :rolleyes:
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    i want it...i believe i can give sm17 a damn good home...ill run it 24/7...do maintence checks...and never use it for myself...only for folding..u have my scouts honor
    edited June 2003
    What year prime???
    EVERY YEAR!!! muhahahaha

WuGgaRoO: You have been added to the list.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    primesuspect said
    QCH: WHERE WERE YOU ON THE NIGHT OF TUESDAY, JUNE 17TH AT APPROXIMATELY 6:30 PM EASTERN STANDARD TIME?

Answer carefully...... maybe it was YOU who brought the server down last night :)

Mr. primesuspect.... I... uh, I was at Pizza Hut.... Gosh those lights are bright.... Wait a minute 6:30 eastern time... I was..... uh..... 5:30 Central Time then... I was in the car to go to Pizza Hut and eat.... <GULP>....

No really.... I figure the process of bequeathing of a folding machine for Short-Media is an honor therefore; I want to instill confidence in my mentors that I am duly qualified for the honor.

--> Bach in Comp Sci - Cum Laude (GPA 3.61) (While Employed Full Time)
    --> Member of Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership Honor Society
    --> National Deans List
    --> Member of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
    --> Dedicated PC rack with KVM switch
    --> 8 Port 10/100 MB Switch
    --> Comcast Cable Broadband
    --> Belkin 500VA Regulator Pro UPS
    --> Too many PC's to every need to interrupt SM-17 from Folding
    --> Enough PC parts to build 3 more PC's (except cases... )
    --> Good Looking (or so my Bull Mastiff says)
    --> Smartest Human ever (again, so my Bull Mastiff says)
    --> Best PC Tech in my house....
    [edit]
    --> Astaro Linux based Firewall too...
    edited June 2003
    Kappa Tappa Kegga and a full time job do not mix.;D;D

Anyways, some good qualifications.:)
    edited June 2003
    Anyone else?
    edited June 2003
    me...but i already said i want it
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited June 2003
    I'll add my name in:

Even though I've already got 8 folding comps at this location there's plenty of room for more and still two spare spots on my KVM.

Assuming my house doesn't get burnt down, fall into the ocean or otherwise get destroyed, SM17 will have a home here as long as she needs it. I also have 1.5Mbit ADSL connection as well as 3 backup dialup connections just in case.

Qualifications:

Plenty of computer building experience (15 AMD based machines that I remember since my athlon 500)
    Skilled in soldering, use of oscilloscope, and other electronics tools
    3rd Year Electronics Engineering Student
    edited June 2003
    Consider yourself entered.:)

New list:
    mondi
    QCH2002
    TheSmJ
    WuGgaRoO
    qparadox
  • S_WilsonS_Wilson Meridian, ID
    edited June 2003
    Well, guess I will take a shot at this. Got a couple of empty router ports and 24/7 broadband. I have monitor and kb but that will not be needed once up and running, just use vnc and em3 to monitor it. I own my house so I don't move frequently and electricity is fairly cheap here. I am not certified for anything so I can not make it do any neat tricks other than FOLD, FOLD and FOLD some more. ;)
    edited June 2003
    New list:
    mondi
    QCH2002
    TheSmJ
    WuGgaRoO
    qparadox
    S_Wilson

OK I am making the deadline Monday night. So everyone else has a few more days to get their name in the hat. Lets get SM17 off the ground.
    edited June 2003
    out of curiosity...what are the specs of sm-17?
    edited June 2003
    1600+, the case listed above, 128mb PC2100, Shuttle AK35GT2/R v1.2. ATI vid card. The host will have to say how loud they want it cause I have several 7k HSFs here. The host could always 7v mod it or something.

ak35gt2.jpg

It does have a fan on the NB tho.
    edited June 2003
    if the host wanted to change the HSF...that would not be a problem right
    edited June 2003
    Sure no problem. They could plug it into a fan only connector. At least I have one on mine. It doesnt supply 12V to that line so it would go slower.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    mmonnin said
    1600+, the case listed above, 128mb PC2100, Shuttle AK35GT2/R v1.2. ATI vid card.

So we're saving my 1700+ for SM18?
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    i would enter, but my mom is already getting cranky about my computer being on 24/7, i will try next time.
    edited June 2003
    Yes save it for the next one TD. dangeraaron has donated his for SM17.
    edited June 2003
    Bump Bump. Tomorrow night is the deadline and selections will begin. Add your name in the hat quick.
    edited June 2003
    Final list:
    mondi
    QCH2002
    TheSmJ
    WuGgaRoO
    qparadox
    S_Wilson
    edited June 2003
    Which ever of you guys gets this machine is sure to give it a good home.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    I don't quite understand how this works. Does the winning person have to pay for the computer, or is it being donated?
    edited June 2003
    :wave:Ladies & Gentelmen, :wave:

:celebrate
    I will be holding a fund raiser to help offset the cost for my bid to host SM17. Advertising costs, smear campaigns, ballot fixing, Hate mail, and blackmail all cost money. Please attach $1,000 per person for a meal of hot dogs and pretzels. (Beverages Not included). You will receive a personally endorsed (Via my secretary), dual purpose, roll of toilet paper. This roll will allow you access to the VIP tent AND the rest rooms (which look the same inside and out).
    :celebrate

This offer is for a limited time only!!!! Limited seats available (1,000,000,000 seats open). Hurry before the 8:00 AM CST.

:D JOKING OF COURSE :D
    edited June 2003
    What, your joking???:wow:

I was just about to get the credit card out. Oh well, back it goes into the wallet. :D

QCH2002, you do know that thats an ENGLISH knight you have as your avatar (just curious)
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Necropolis_uk said
    QCH2002, you do know that thats an ENGLISH knight you have as your avatar (just curious)

not necessarily, could just be a big St. George supporter :) ...

but anyway, the deadline has come, those of us on the list await the decision with bated breath ... to paraphrase Mr Adams ....

"And you're ready to give it to us?" urged mondi.

"I am."

"Now?"

"Now," said mmonnin.

They both licked their dry lips.

"Though I don't think," added mmonnin, "that you're going to like it."

"Doesn't matter!" said mondi and the rest. "We must know it! Now!"

"Now?" inquired mmonnin.

"Yes! Now..."

"Alright," said the computer and settled into silence again. The two men fidgeted. The tension was unbearable.

"You're really not going to like it," observed mmonnin.

"Tell us!"

"Alright," said mmonnin. "The Answer to the Great Question..."

"Yes...!"

is ????????????
    edited June 2003

English Knight.... Seems to me that religion had a lot to do with determining the moral standard back then. If you weren't Christian, you didn't count... I can tax you; I can subdue you.... all under the authority of god.... weird huh??? I figure that many politicians may think of themselves as knights, defending the innocents from other politicians. All a mater of perspective.

As for the joke… Sometimes I just get a glint or feeling from a thread that just needs to be expressed. I figured… the bids for the honor of hosting is very similar to those that want to be elected for local government. No one knows who most of these people are, the stay at home mom running for village treasurer…. The retired steel worker running for the county board. Only a few people know who they are, so it comes down to statistics and how your name looks. Same with this tread. No one really knows all the people that are vying for SM17. You have to find a way to be heard and noticed. I chose to use a bit of humor in the hopes that I will be noticed. Not just for SM17 but within the SM Forum Family. SM17 would be a cool honor but not necessary to make me whole.