Silent PC construction

2»

Comments

• AsmoAsmo Kitchener, ON
    edited June 2003
    Your right, not the monitor into the USB, you just buy a long monitor cable :P

But you get the idea... move your case somewhere else, best way to really get silence.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    Sorry for the lag in response time... for some reason I wasn't subscribed to the thread...

anywho, DJ, I've run mine with passive cooling before too (for very, very limited amounts of time- just enough to swap fans) and with a slower athlon it probably could be done, but i doubt it's a good idea for extended operation. Mobile athlons (and laptops in general) run considerably hotter than I like my computers to be running at- hence the 6.75" rotron that cools mine.... I'll bet that your case is well ventillated tho, if you can run a 1600 w/o a fan for that period of time, I'd expect that it would have to be. If you want a quiet, fast system, you want a big case, and a TMD cpu fan, attached to a Thermalright SLK-700, SLK-800, SLK-900, or SK-7. the problem with mid-tower cases is that hot air rises, and unless you have a blowhole or a power supply with one fan and no bottom vents or a front mounted intake fan (like those Leadmans), it tends to get stuck at the top of the case, because there's nothing there to take it out. That's the problem I'm running into with my SLK-3700AMB right now- that case has 90cfm coming in, 150+ going out, and I can't keep my ram from getting near burning hot, and it's not running near stock voltage or speed- it's rated for 200MHz @ 2.8v- it's running 166 @ 2.6... with a full tower, this isn't a problem, because the heat can get well away from the motherboard, where it's usually pulled out by another fan or two...

The TMD fans are near-silent, even the high speed model, and they both move more than enough air to keep an athlon reasonably cool, especially with a good heatsink. Keep in mind that the retail heatsink on the new AMD barton chips is an Ni plated AlCu soldered or skived-fin hybrid cooler with an 18cfm Delta fan. they include those with the 2500s and the 2800s at least, and I'm pretty sure they include it with most or all of their other cpus now too. So, if 18cfm and an aluminum-copper hybrid heatsink can keep it within operating temperature, 27-35cfm and a solid copper heatsink ought to be more than sufficient.

I'd suggest a Thermalright heatsink and TMD fan, as mentioned above, along with one of the Chieftec/Antec/Chenming mid-towers or full towers, equipped with either adjustable fans (which I'd recommend, because you get to decide how much noise u want) or Vantec Stealths, Papsts or Panaflo low-speed fans...
  • dNA3DdNA3D Brunei
    edited June 2003
    You do not neccessarily require ultra-quiet components to create a quiet, or silent PC. Several attractive proposals have been raised, one of them being Active Noise Cancellation. While it is a hypothetically sound idea, very few, or no one has yet implemented it to suit a PC based application. All those headphones that filter out external noise use this technology, as do several vehicle manufacturers. It would be nice to see any Active Noise Cancellation devices adapted for PC use, but so far, I have yet to see any.

If you don't know what I've just rambled on about, go brush yourself up on the Theory of Active Noise Cancellation.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by natenut
    Furthermore, what speed would i need for seamless dvd playback and AC3 audio output? i would like to get by with the M600.
    I've read a few articles about HTPC's with those setup and for video they kindda suck. Don't know how much power a DVD would need but for DivX and other stuff it's too slow.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by dNA3D
    You do not neccessarily require ultra-quiet components to create a quiet, or silent PC. Several attractive proposals have been raised, one of them being Active Noise Cancellation. While it is a hypothetically sound idea, very few, or no one has yet implemented it to suit a PC based application. All those headphones that filter out external noise use this technology, as do several vehicle manufacturers. It would be nice to see any Active Noise Cancellation devices adapted for PC use, but so far, I have yet to see any.

Im sure many men would like it for their "Other Halves" too. :D:rolleyes:

NS
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Have you considered using notebook components.

The Via Eden or whatever theyre called are very poor performers.

Just pick up a notebook off eBay with a broken screen really cheap, you see them on eBay UK all the time.

Have you ever seen a notebook HSF? My Compaq Evo P3 1.2 is kept cool with a really tiny fan and heatsink, and the fan is only on ~30% of the time.

Add a big heatsink to the psu and you wont need a fan.

You will also have the benefit of a silent external PSU, and a built in UPS!

2.5" HDDs are pretty quiet, and you can easily stealth the slimline CD/DVD drive.

A celeron based notebook would make a nice MP3 player. Probably wouldnt make a very good HTPC because its only got 8 meg mobility Radeon graphics, still good enough for basic DVD and DivX playback, just not gaming.

Either way, it beats ITX sytems.