Decent Laptop

edited June 2003 in Hardware
Im looking for a decent laptop for school, mostly because space is limited and probably because i will not be able to work in my dorm. I was looking at the Compaq Presario 3045us, in past i know there were problems with Compaq stuff, is that still the case? Im looking to spend around 1500 and i really liked the big Screen (16in) I really dont need great graphics, because i really hope to be studying more than playing video games. I sorta need a big screen for the CAD ill most likely be doing. If this notebook is a huge mistake and COmpaq is still bad even after HP let me know. If you have suggestions for around my price i would love it.. THanks!

Edit* I wanted to add this link in
http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1027-404-21157202.html?tag=byline

Comments

• edited June 2003
    oh and it comes with XP Home. I personally use XP Pro and my school wants me to use it too, Would there be a problem installing Pro? I dont know anything about notebooks really other than what information is easily transferred over from desktops which i havent been on top of in about two years.. Oh and by the way, even though im a new member i used to read the forums ALOT and i even joined the folding thing about a year and half ago just to help the cause and you guyse out. 224 and still counting!
  • edited June 2003
    Are toshibas really more reliable than compaqs?
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    The upgrade from home to pro would be simple. Just an easy upgrade. I've done it on 2 of my new laptops and they've worked fine. I really cant tell you about reliability between compaqs and toshiba laptops, but my cousin bought a laptop last summer. He bought a p4 1.6 Toshiba. Seems to be working fine for him now. He previously had a few problems with some hp laptops.
  • edited June 2003
    Oh ok thanks, what laptops are you running? DO you like em?
  • edited June 2003
    Oh and for laptops AMD or P4? Or even centrino, but all i see that is a lower clock speed, so it saves more batter, but thats my oversimplified version.
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    I'm running a p3 700 Mhz Hp Laptop which i love and a p4 2.4 ghz HP laptop which i hate. Stay away from the newer hp models they have horrible battery life and their performance is crap.
  • edited June 2003
    Cool thanks DOM-AL
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The centrinos will outpreform a p4 easily. I've seen some reviews which show the 1.6 equal to the 2.4 ghz p4 on most benchmarks.

I'll see if I can hunt down some of them.
  • edited June 2003
    OH wow, well that changes things.. Well how about i change this thread a little bit then... WHat laptop would people recommend? Im going into mechanical engineering next fall and will most likely have to cad some stuff.

I would prefer it to have a 16in screen, and thats pretty much all my stuff, and if it doesnt have a 16in but is really amazing, then that will work. Oh and i only have 1500 :)
  • dNA3DdNA3D Brunei
    edited June 2003
    mr. FU, a former Icrontic resident now has a Powerbook G4 17" and he's loving every single bit of it. He claims it to be a rather effective chick magnet, though I struggle to believe his assertion that it really is. Its really an overkill though. The 13/15" will do great as a dormroom computer.

Aranyic: Check your PM-box
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by dNA3D
    mr. FU, a former Icrontic resident now has a Powerbook G4 17" and he's loving every single bit of it. He claims it to be a rather effective chick magnet, though I struggle to believe his assertion that it really is. Its really an overkill though. The 13/15" will do great as a dormroom computer.

Aranyic: Check your PM-box

None of the Powerbooks are near $1500 and the powerbooks come in 12/15/17. They are ok machines. I've used one before but I never really got into the osX part of the machine. Stick with windows.
  • edited June 2003
    Yeah but i find it easier to read, ive worked on all ranges of laptops but i found the 16in were the easest to read, i would love that 17 Power book, but i simply dont have the $cash$
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Loki047
    i would love that 17 Power book, but i simply dont have the $cash$
    wouldnt we all
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    before you buy anything, go to www.powernotebooks.com

Mine's excellent...
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Just make sure you dont buy a "Sager" or an "Alienware", unless you like hauling bricks around that is, top end performance, but Jesus, you pay for it, you cant walk far with it, though it could be useful for army training or keeping in shape :(

NS
    edited June 2003
    I'm really looking at one of the centrino based notebooks from powernotebooks.

1.5ghz, 15" display, 512 ram, 40gig hd for $1,700
  • edited June 2003
    TOshiba has a P4 2.5, 512, 60gig for 1800, i mean i dont care about weight, this is a desktop replacement, and im a 215 lbs carrying 10lbs isnt going to be a big ordeal.
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Aranyic
    I'm really looking at one of the centrino based notebooks from powernotebooks.

1.5ghz, 15" display, 512 ram, 40gig hd for $1,700

isnt there a problem with centrino's locking up on a network or something?
  • edited June 2003
    Does Toshibas make decent laptops? Cause compaq sucks... at least they used to...
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Loki047
    Does Toshibas make decent laptops? Cause compaq sucks... at least they used to...
    Compaq still make's crap computers.
    edited June 2003
    I've never had any problems using thier laptops, never used any for long periods of time though..
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Slightly OT:

My mate was bragging for ages about how he was going to buy an Alienware and stuff and him and his mates were trying to justify the extra £500 for a green case (their response was "oh, well they performance test it for weeks") anyway, he comes in the next day and is like, ha, I got my new computer...

Me: Yeah, and?
    Him: I got a Compaq, From PC World
    Me: HhahhahahHHahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHA
    /me dies
    and I believe I actually pissed myself right there and then.

< /ot >

:p
    NS
  • edited June 2003
    So does the Toshiba seem alright? Anyone have any problems with that setup? Satellite 1955-S805 Notebook thats what im getting, and my girlfiend wants the Satellite 5205-S505 Notebook

Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks DoM-aL for putting me onto the Toshiba :)

Mine
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=300035&pfp=BROWSE

My Girlfriends
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=300037&pfp=BROWSE
    edited June 2003
    I spent 2 years around tohsiba laptops as part of a laptop program @ high school. IMO, they're crap. They're almost as bad as Compaq. It may be that they recommended the cheaper models, but they were poorly made, slow, used cheap components, and were constantly having problems. I'm just glad I didn't buy one... I'd seriously look @ powernotebooks first... Sager, Alienware, and Voodoo, (along with a whole bunch of other companies) buy their notebooks from Clevo, and I've been very impressed with mine. It runs a tad hot, but the screen is incredible, the speakers are some of the best I've heard on a laptop, and it's stood up to me for nearly a year now, so it can't be all that bad :D
  • edited June 2003
    I just have issues buying onlines, espeically when i cant mess around with the Laptops, but mostly for my GF she is jsut starting to realize what features she likes, and what she likes and where she likes it... Please dont take that out of context. Im afraid of ordering a laptop online because of the variables involved.
    edited June 2003
    Geeky what screen size did you get on your notebook/how is the keyboard size?
    edited June 2003
    Loki... I see. In your case then, you may be better off going to a retail store. I'd take a look at Sony in that case, as I've been impressed by their notebooks in the past.

Aryanic, mine's a np5620, which is a few models behind the 5670 or whatever it is they have now... it's the same chassis tho. It's a 15" UXGA, and the keyboard is almost the width of the notebook- the keyboard itself is almost exactly 12" wide. I haven't had any problems with the size of the keys or the spacing or anything like that...
  • edited June 2003
    So you like the sager powerbook stuff? Im actually really looking at them but they seem extremely cheap, which bothers me, only because im paranoid like that... Is it possible to set up a vote.. TOshiba versus POwerbook, cause those power books look sweet. Alienware is just too expensive
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    My cousin had an issue installing SP1 on his toshiba. Everytime he installed he lost sound. He tried reinstalling sound drivers but itt didnt work so he is still on xp home sp 0 :/. I dont like the way his keyboard is made but o well. I like the way hp's setup their keyboards but o well. If anything take this advice from me... When you buy a laptop make sure its quality because you're basicly stuck with it. Make sure everything about the laptop fits you. Don't cheap out on the laptop. Look into everything and research other forums to see if anyone else had any problems with their laptops dying out on them.