Do you have the perfect PC I can clone?

Ed-ChigliakEd-Chigliak West Yorks (UK)
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Soon I will be building a new PC for my gaming and home entertainment needs and retiring my existing home PC to the office work environment were it can compute away its remaining years on some less demanding applications. Now normally I would read all the reviews then cross check on various forums for compatability issues with the various hardware combinations and take it from there. Unfortunately this process takes a long time and interesting though it is to read other peoples problems I have decided to take a different route to build a perfect PC avoiding all the usual pitfalls. This year I am hoping to CLONE exactly somebody elses system hardware, bios settings drivers the whole job lot and cut straight to the fun. If you are the happiest of the happy and have the time to share your PC spec please post and share you secrets. I'm guess I'm looking for top quartile performance best bang for buck style of system so any AMD NF2 ATI 9700 combinations that work like a dream I want details. This will not be water vortex cooled for obvious reasons.

Thanks in advance... Ed^

Comments

• edited June 2003
    what do you think is a perfect computer? i think my computer's are perfect but you might not think that.
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited June 2003
    Mine is pretty dreamy. ASUS Nforce 2 with the latest BIOS, AMD XP 2600+ 333FSB, 1GB Corsair PC3200LL, Radeon 9500PRO, Raptor 10K RAID 0, Audigy 2, LG 52x24x52, Pioneer 106, and a Exos keeping everything cool. It runs your dream...or I would like to think so....

Enisada
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Enisada
    Mine is pretty dreamy. ASUS Nforce 2 with the latest BIOS, AMD XP 2600+ 333FSB, 1GB Corsair PC3200LL, Radeon 9500PRO, Raptor 10K RAID 0, Audigy 2, LG 52x24x52, Pioneer 106, and a Exos keeping everything cool. It runs your dream...or I would like to think so....

Enisada

my second computer is almost like that
    asus n-force2
    2600+ 333
    corsair pc3200
    ati9500pro hacked 9700pro
    dvd burner
    cd burner 52x 24x 52x
    80g maxtor 8mb cache 7200rpm
    60g maxtor 8mb cache 7200rpm
    40g maxtor 2mb cache 7200rpm
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by matt
    what do you think is a perfect computer?

A perfect computer is one that runs whatever you want it to run, and at a speed *your* happy with.

Mine is a perfect computer (to me) :p
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Coaster

A perfect computer is one that runs whatever you want it to run, and at a speed *your* happy with.

Mine is a perfect computer (to me) :p

see one person's computer isnt the right computer for another person.

you build your computer for your need's.
    edited June 2003
    Hey matt ic your oc your 2600 mind telling me your timings and voltages. Also is your vid card ATI or third party???
  • edited June 2003
    my 2600+ has 2.0vcore and my timings are 5,3,3,t2
    and my ATI video card is a build by ATI

my 2600+ sucks at overclocking.
  • edited June 2003
    i had the nice people at www.rage3d.com help me with the bios hack.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Coaster

They haven't built mine yet :rolleyes:

NS
  • edited June 2003
    Indeed,

but we make do I guess :p
  • Ed-ChigliakEd-Chigliak West Yorks (UK)
    edited June 2003

Enisada

Without knowing exactly when you build this system I'm guessing a little but it looks to me that maybe you traded a little performance on the CPU and graphics card to afford those raptors, the audigy 2 and the corsair 3200 not to mention the exos water cooling. Knowing that you could maybe hack the 9500pro to 9700pro and overclock the xp2600+ obviously influenced your choices so perhaps you could enlighten me a little on your final decisions and bios settings. Agreed it's pretty dreamy system and would be great to CLONE but I would perhaps go with a 9700 or 9700pro rather than risk moding a 9500pro. Water cooling I've not tried yet so the exos would make for an interesting build. What's the capacity on those drives and what's the system like noise wise. Case and PSU?

Thanks for taking the time to post a spec which is more useful to me than the any philosophical debate about perfection but not nessecarily more interesting. That surely would be an ecumenical matter. Humour!

Ed^
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Ed^Chigliak

but I would perhaps go with a 9700 or 9700pro rather than risk moding a 9500pro.
    its easy once someone walks you through the steps.
    there's like 4 step's to make your 9500 a 9700.
    edited June 2003
    Hey matt are you running any special cooling on your 9500Pro or mods other than the BIOS update on the card???

Enisada
    edited June 2003
    Well Ed^Chigliak I'm glad you found me a bit humorous. I bought both my Radeon 9500Pro and my 2600+ back in November so I paid a bit of a pretty penny for them. I simply saw the Exos and thought I had to have it. I just started to use the Exos for what it is worth. I must say for never setting up a water cooling setup before this one it was quite easy as long as you take you time. I would have to recommend getting the Radeon 9700Pro for the price/performance. This system is more of a continuous Dream in the making. I'm always finding new thing to upgrade in it and so on. As far as my capacity is concerned I have two WD Raptors in my first RAID 0 for a total of 74GB. In my second RAID now being used mostly for storage is two WD 1200JB in a RAID 0 for a total of 240GB. My system noise and temps are indeed quite low. I have two Volcano 80MM fans in case I want my ears to bleed but when I'm not in the mood for that I have my handy Fan Bus to control those bad boys. My case which suits me fine for now is a mid-sized generic case with a custom side planel. I would recommend going for a Thermaltake case or something to that effect. And Finally my PSU is a Antec 480Watt True Blue. Got a couple blue cold cathrodes in there for good measure. I've included a pic as well...Enjoy...

Enisada
  • edited June 2003
    Hey matt are you running any special cooling on your 9500Pro or mods other than the BIOS update on the card???

Enisada

Ya iv got an AMD K6-2 heatsink with a 60mm 6500 rpm fan keep's it nice and cool.
    edited June 2003
    Do you happen to have a picture you could post with that bad boy. Did you adjust the voltage any?? I would be interested to know how you went about doing that...and mounting that HSF...

Enisada
  • edited June 2003
    Do you happen to have a picture you could post with that bad boy. Did you adjust the voltage any?? I would be interested to know how you went about doing that...and mounting that HSF...

Enisada
    ya see

keep going down the page
  • edited June 2003

Enisada
    one sec
  • edited June 2003

one sec
    edited June 2003
    How did you go about mounting that puppy??? And the removal of the stock one....
  • edited June 2003
  • edited June 2003
    I used wire to reinforce the thermal adhesive.
    edited June 2003
    Is that a wire on there or something??
    edited June 2003
    Good job I think I may have to look inti doing that myself...any voltage mods??
  • edited June 2003
    no im not to good at vmods. maybe in like a year.
    edited June 2003
    Hey Ed^Chigliak let me now what you are going to decide.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Perfect pc
  • Ed-ChigliakEd-Chigliak West Yorks (UK)
    edited June 2003
    That wouldn't be "HELLO WORLD" scrolling up the screen there. I'm going get my BBC model B out of the closet and play elite. Maybe I'll flash an eprom or two later on... no scrap that idea I'll have to load it off an audio tape and that's like almost be as bad as punch cards.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    That wouldn't be "HELLO WORLD" scrolling up the screen there. I'm going get my BBC model B out of the closet and play elite. Maybe I'll flash an eprom or two later on... no scrap that idea I'll have to load it off an audio tape and that's like almost be as bad as punch cards.

ROFL :D

Those were the days eh?

My house is like a computer museum.

mD
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited June 2003
    I think I still have the 2 boxes of punch cards that I had to make for a project in college!! They were in Fortran, I believe and it was a take off on star trek. My own personal museum, I guess.

Flint