Opinions about Sagers..

edited June 2003 in Hardware
WEll im looking at laptop and Geeky1 put me on to http://www.powernotebooks.com

Basically i want your guys opinions about the laptop i customized and about Powernotebookes in general and Sagers.. Thanks!! heres what im thinking

SPECS
Sager NP8887 SUPRA

16.1" UXGA TFT Active Matrix w/ATI Mobility
Radeon 9000 w/128MB DDR
2.66GHz Intel Pentium® 4 Processor w/512k L2
Cache - 533MHz System Bus Speed
Built-in TV Tuner w/Remote (NTSC)
60GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive at 5,400 RPM

512MB (1 SODIMM) PC2100 DDR Memory
Detachable MP3 Player w/256MB SD Memory
8X DVD/24x10x24 CD-RW w

Built-in 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
Built-in IEEE 1394 (Firewire)
Built-in 56k V.90 Data/Fax Modem
Built-in 10/100BaseT Ethernet w/RJ-45 Jack
Built-in Wireless (802.11b) Ethernet: Built-in 802.11b Wireless LAN w/Wireless
Router
NO Wireless Networking:
Smart Li-ion Battery

Extended Warranty (US Only): 3 Additional Years Extended

Total Cost: $2,564.00

Im not really sure the difference between wireless, and wireless ntworking.. Cause they are both on the customize page.. Thanks!!

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    That laptop is not really portable unless you are not going to be carrying it by hand alot, because it is VERY heavy, and as it has a 16.1" screen, its also going to be very big (The Sager laptops are quite thick).

The R9000 will play UT2003 happily though.

Another major downside is the battery life will be about an Hour, TOP.

So, basically, if you are going to have a power outlet near you and dont have to cary it around, then go for it, but if you need portability then its a big no-no.

NS
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    With notebooks you have to compromise between portabiliy and power.

A desktop CPU in a notebook is going to eat battery like nobodys buisness, weigh a lot more and run a lot hotter.

If you have a desktop at home, you have to consider wether you really need all that power in your notebook.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    However, I can vouch for the performance/power consumption ratio of the Centrino bundle (Intel Pentium M + centrino chipset + 802.11 low-power wlan). My wife's laptop is a P-M 1.3ghz with the centrino components, and it is extremely fast - folds comparably with a P4 2.2ghz or, say, an XP 1900+, and lasts 3-5 hours on a full charge playing games, etc. Also, her laptop has a mobility radeon 9000 in it.

I'm very impressed with her computer.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Intel has a winner on theyre hands with the Pentium M. I think its a combination of P3 and P4 technology, to create a decent CPU for notebooks.

They should give it PR ratings so people arent concerned about comparativeley low clock speeds.

mD
  • edited June 2003
    have you ever considered a apple powerbook? i don't wanna be flamed or anything :P but they're actually exteremely good notebooks at reasonable prices and high performance. i owna 17" powerbook
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    The PowerBook 17" is the pinnacle of notebook design, if not a little too big.

I'm currently waiting for Apple to update the 15" line before i'll be buying one.

mD
    edited June 2003
    The problem then is you have to start buying Mac software, and nothing you own for your PC works on your laptop, and it starts to suck because you realise you cant play GTA3 VC that you just bought for your PC on it.

Unless you dont mind using a parrallel set of software.

NS
  • edited June 2003
    yeah, but tbh, i haven't played a game in a million years...and the 17" screen is a blessing when i open up cubase or editing a word document. it's huge, and high res. adn teh quality is amazing too. dydx, i'm curious about the new 15" as well, but it won't be better than the 17" simply because of product ranking and stuff. unless they upgrade the 17" as well...then i'd sorta be extrememly pissed off...heheh
    edited June 2003
    Bah, I am running 1600x1200 on my 15" and I can see everythign fine, so unless you are running 2048x1540 on the 17" there wouldnt really be any point. Just dont go QXGA.........

NS
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    I have a licence for most of the design software I work with for Mac and PC.

I prefer to work in Photoshop on a Mac, dunno why, just do.

However, I have to use PCs when i have to code custom software for clients, since I dont like emulating windows on Macs.

The hardware argument isnt valid anymore. All my hardware, appart from one or two items work on all platforms.

I dont really have a prefrence when it comes to computing platforms.

In the average week i will use:

Windows
    DOS
    Mac OSX
    Mac Classic
    Linux
    Solaris

AAAAANYWAY im drifting off topic.

The big screen is nice, but how the hell do you fir the PB 17" in your bag?
  • edited June 2003
    it actually fits quite nicely, i have an oakley duffel and an oakley sand bag, which although is small, fits fine, surprisingly enough
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    I might change my mind over the 17" afterall..

Do you reckon it would fit in a JanSport standard rucksack?

Whereabouts in Hong Kong are you Mr.FU? I have family living in Discovery Bay.

mD
  • edited June 2003
    oh yeh? heh, coolio. it'll defintiely fit in a jansport bag, my friend borrowed my pb and fit like a charm. just make sure that your bag is 15inches tall, that's how wide the pb is. i live on new territories side, but frequently travel to hk side. discovery bay is in teh middle of nowhere...such a hassle to get in and out of..heh, they have their own little city in db :P
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    LOL

Cars are illegal in DB, so everyone drives arround in lil golf carts.

And to go to HK or Kowloon, you have to catch a ferry that takes like half an hour.

mD
  • edited June 2003
    heh, but getting back on subject. the mac is a great notebook, stable and fast. and if you do design or any kind of graphics...a 17" screen can do wonders. also if you lik watchin dvd's...heh.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Gotta love the internal SuperDrive, bluetooth, and how can we forget the super kewl keyboard.

Only 4 days to payday.

Well see..

mD
  • edited June 2003
    Great... off topic again...Back to the sager.. and im not worried about the sixe or weight, i mean 12 lbs big whoops!! But not complaints with the comany or my set up? Um.. Whats teh difference between Wi-Fi and wireless ethernet? What should i get..does something do it all? NO MACS!!! Im going into mechanical engineering, not graphic design.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Thats more of a desktop replacement rather than a notebook..

Wifi is wirless LAN.

mD
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    WiFi is, as dydx said, the same thing as wireless ethernet... that Sager is as close as you're gonna get to a "do it all" notebook...
  • edited June 2003
    ok, but it gives an option for wirelss networking and wirelss ethernet.. ?!?!
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Sounds like the same thing to me. Probably a mistake.

mD
  • edited June 2003
    whew!! cool just wanted to make sure i wasnt too long out of computers and missed some crucical stuff.. i shot the company an email to see what they say.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    A purchase like that cant be taken lightly.

mD
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    Loki, I just looked @ the site... the options under "Built-in wireless ethernet" are:
    none
    802.11b
    802.11b with wireless router

The "wireless networking" offers:
    none
    WiFi PCMCIA card
    WiFi PCMCIA card w/router

so basically the difference is in how they have the menus set up. If you choose a PCMCIA card, it'll obviously be external, if you choose integrated wireless, it'll be internal...
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Your probably better off with the internal one then rather than the PCMCIA one, so you can use the slot to add some other hardware.

Not that youll need it, that notebook is feature-packed.

mD
  • edited June 2003
    Alright thats what i thought. Thanks for the clarity guys! And i will defintly get it built in.