Kill Messenger Service Pop Up

edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Hello,

I use Eudora as my e-mail client. When I view mail, sometimes, I get these pop-up windows that render, with the title bar reading "Messenger Service". There's the typical Spam garbage in the main area of the window and then an "Ok" button at the bottom. I simply just close the window. I'm using XP Pro. Is this Messenger Service part of the OS? Or do you think it's a pop-up ad coming in from an e-mail. Or, do you think it's part of some Spy Ware app? I just did a re-install of my OS and loaded on my primary software. I haven't downloaded any freeware or shareware apps that might contain spyware. These pop-ups just started.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jack

Comments

• dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Messenger service is part of the OS. Its for sending messages to network users, from admins, things like warning them of downtime etc.

This basically means port 139 is open on your computer, and the spammers are using this to send you messages.

Basically, get a firewall, and make sure port 139 is closed or in stealth mode.

Have a look at the earler thread for more info 'DOS net send'.

mD
  • LIQuidLIQuid Raleigh, NC
    edited June 2003
    Disbale messenger service.

In services ;)
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    If you just disable the service, your computer is still open to much worse exploits, so its kinda pointless.

Block port 139, this will make you a lot more secure to net bios exploits.

ATM if you have shares with no password, anyone can access your files.

mD
  • edited June 2003
    Thank you.

I disabled it in Services. I found a good link on how to do this:

disable messenger services

Thanks again,

Jack
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Your computer is still open to loads of exploits, killing the service only stopped you getting the messages. Download zonealarm, or get a hardware firewall.

I cant tell you how easy it is to get access to your computer when this port is open.

mD
  • edited June 2003
    dydx,

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been doing research on firewalls and routers (though routers don't offer as much protection as a good firewall). Linksys and Netgear, for routers, keep popping up with fairly decent reviews. I'll make sure it has SPI.

Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks.
  • edited June 2003
    As I've continued my research, I've found the SonicWall Tele3 TZX to be a pretty powerful product. It's pricey, though, at 500 bucks.

Any comments?

Thanks again,

Jack
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    For the time being, install zonealarm. Google it to find where to download it. Its free.

You can get decent protection from a router if you set up the port redirection correctly.

ie make port 139 redirect to port 139 on an ip that doesnt, and will never exist on your network. This will make the port look closed to an attacker.

A good way to test the security of your computer is at http://www.grc.com head over to the sheilds up thinger over there to see how your doing.

mD
  • edited June 2003
    dydx,

Thank you again for your recommendations. I'd like to get further advice from you.

I've downloaded zonealarm. In the future, would you recommend a hardware firewall (or router) over a software firewall like zonealarm? Or should I consider using both?

Thanks again, too, for the grc.com recommendation. It's first report, before zonealarm, was pretty frightening.

J.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    I use a standard router as a firewall.

Zonealarm is pretty crappy, but it beats getting your computer screwed up by some lamer.

mD
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2003
    I use an older Linksys router and cheap dlink switch, but a switching linksys or netgear router would work fine in this scenerio.

Also, don't be too paranoid about internet security, 'cause if someone with the skills REALLY wants in, there isn't a heck of a lot you're going to do to stop them... the firewall's to keep the 14 years olds, practicing with hacking guides, that could make a mistake and actually hack you :p
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    if you have a spare computer sitting around, i recommend www.clarkconnect.org it's a linux distribution specifically made to be a router/firewall, as well as a host of other services. you configure it through a browser, so you don't have to know any linux commands. i've been singing it's praises for years now.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Those Linux distros for making routers are great. I used SmoothWall for a while before I got my router.

I ran it on a Dell 486 66MHz with 32mb of RAM, and it was pretty good.

An easier option is Freesco, which boots off a disk, and its a bit simpler.

mD
  • edited June 2003
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Off to get a router today.

Thanks, kanezfan, for the clarconnect.org recommendation. Sounds interesting and I'm going to check it out.

J.
  • edited July 2003
    Computer games don’t affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us…we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music”. Krisitan Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989.

LOL, and... oooops! :D
  • edited July 2003
    There is a decent firewall called Sygate Professional also. In fact, look on thier site at the organizations that endorse and have tested it. Even Sygate Personal is very decent and uses less computer resources than ZA.

A lot of people who have not tried this seem to thnk it cannot be that this is bettr than ZA, but it has proven to be equal to or better than ZA and use less of your computer resources.

John Danielson.
  • edited July 2003
    Md if you are still watching on this fourm i want to say... You know your stuff so im gonna ask you something... How would i go about blocking port 139 with norton? is it posible?

thanks,

mike
  • edited July 2003
    Md???
  • edited July 2003
    just turn off the messenger service :D
  • edited July 2003
    I turned off my messenger through the way that you other guys said but i also took mds advice because i dont only want to stop this messenger thing i want my comp to be secure... So Md If you see this Thank you for the help.

Thanks again,

Mike
  • Ed-ChigliakEd-Chigliak West Yorks (UK)
    edited July 2003
    Freeware security & privacy goodies ;)

Spywareblaster

Spybot Seak & Destroy

Ad-aware

Avast - antivrus

AVG - antivirus

AntiVir - antivirus

Firewalls as per earlier posts

Ed^