What motherboard

edited June 2003 in Hardware
I have enuff for a motherboard and a barton 2500 right now but i dont know which to get. I was gonna get the abit nf7-s..but i have hyperx mem...and the board has known problems with it =( I really dont feel like spending 100+ on more ram... Also im starting to worry about nforce2 boards especialy cuz i keep hearing about bios corruption, does that happen when flashing or just changing bios settings or can it happen at anytime?

Also anyone have any idea when the kt600 will be out?

I dont need raid, or good onboard audio, or any igp.(Dont feel like learning about raid yet, i have an audigy2, and a radeon 9800pro) I just want a board thatll easily oc the 2500 bartons fsb to 200(id be perfectly happy with just that much) and is known to be stable. And if possible...have the agp slot far enuff from the dimm slots so i dont have to take out my damn video card to change my ram :D .

Im planning on getting the slk-900u so im gonna need some room around the socket as well..

Comments

• AMD-FanAMD-Fan Virginia Beach
    edited June 2003
    Time to learn about raid as your harddrive is the slowest
    component in your system. Tex is very good with raid and so
    are others here. The kt600 should be out late summer I think
    but I am just guessing. Why did you not get corsair memory?
  • edited June 2003
    I bought the hyperx quite a while ago and every1 was recommending it like crazy...and it cost less than corsair xms..

Are there good mobos that will work with it?
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Grab a NF7-S v2 and don't worry about.

Yo always have the option to sell the HyperX and buy some Corsair PC3500.

I know I could use another $100 512MB stick of HyperX PC3500 :)
  • edited June 2003
    heh...my hyperx is only pc3000..if you still would like it though..pm =)

I dont know wut corsair is the best, they have so many different types. I want 512 mb sticks. I never really mess with ram timings except i set the cas to 2.
  • edited June 2003
    does the nf7-s have problems with hyperx memory regardless or ONLY when ocing a whole lot? What are the chancing of me not being able to boot because of a problem between the 2?? I still wanna at least get my fsb to 200....if thats my absolute max thats fine with me.

My current board is msi and i love it. Do they make any good nforce2 boards? I rarely hear them recommended. Any1 know if there are problems between them and hyperx memory?
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    HyperX specs and Timings (scroll down)

It should be fine at Cas2 2-2-6 up to 183mhz (Thats PC3000) beyond that it's a crap shoot.

I believe Hyperx PC3500 (DDR434 or 217mhz Cas2 3-3-7) was what was recommended before. Regular Samsung PC2700 (DDR33 or 166mhz) will do 170-190mhz easy.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Didn't one of the bios updates for the NF7-S fix the HyperX compat problem? I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure they made a bios change and HyperX works fine now.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    my preference is still for the ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe. If you don't need all the crap, get the regular A7N8X.
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by MissileMan
    Didn't one of the bios updates for the NF7-S fix the HyperX compat problem? I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure they made a bios change and HyperX works fine now.

Think i heard that to, only bad thing is i havent learned much about how to flash bios, and bios chips/flash memory or any of that yet. Eventually i will tho, hopefully.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    You cant go wrong with the A7N8X.

mD
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Get the NF7-S and flash the bios. Read the instructions on the Abit site, get everything ready to do it beforehand and someone here can help you. Trust me it's not that hard! Yoy won't look back once you go for it.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    Make sure what ever you get you get the verison that has the Ultra 400 chipset.

Craig