printers

n3on3o
edited June 2003 in Hardware
im thinking of getting a new printer. my options are the epson stylus c80 or the canon i550. they are both around the same priced. which should i choose? or are there better printers within that same price range?

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The cannon range are very good value for money, not to mention the ink is VERY cheap for them. I would also have a look for some HP deskjets around the same price as well too though as they are also supposed to be quite good. But the Epson ones are actually turning into the Intel of the printer world, they state higher DPI but still the Cannon ones of lower DPI still look better.

NS
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by NightShade737
    The cannon range are very good value for money, not to mention the ink is VERY cheap for them. I would also have a look for some HP deskjets around the same price as well too though as they are also supposed to be quite good. But the Epson ones are actually turning into the Intel of the printer world, they state higher DPI but still the Cannon ones of lower DPI still look better.

NS

Ditto, canon S400 owner here... very pleased with mine, and he's 101% right about the replacement cartridges found cheap online. 4 seperate ink tanks too (red, yellow, blue, and black).
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Do cannon inkjets still have the issues with ink flaking off? (Yeah this was years ago that I had the problems with them, just curious as I'm looking into a new printer for college.) I'm also considering picking up a laserjet 6p cheap off ebay though :eek:.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Aranyic
    Do cannon inkjets still have the issues with ink flaking off?

No, never a problem (and I print topo maps for hiking, so I would have certainly experienced that issue by now :p).
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Nice, I think I'll take a look at those at least then.

On a side note I was hiking in NH all last week :), had a great time it's beautiful up there.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    Canon makes very good printers... however, why no HP? I found an insane deal on HP's website when I broke my Canon... They have a CP1160, which is faster than the 990CSE, and it's $198. If you can afford it, I'd go with that.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited June 2003
    yeah, i also happen to be a huge fan of HP printers. they are the very best in my opinion. I have a laserjet that my dad handed down to me that is almost 20 years old and it still runs rock solid . . .
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    The new Epsosn with that "durabright" ink look awesome to my eyes. But you need special paper to make them print the best which is a drawback.

Tex
  • edited June 2003
    I have the c80 it is a very good printer. It also has the 4 seprate ink tanks.
  • Ed-ChigliakEd-Chigliak West Yorks (UK)
    edited June 2003
    The ink for my HP printer is worth more than the printer. I could dispose of my printer everytime it runs out of ink and but a new one. Were is the sense in that?

I run Canon or Epson printers with print-rite ink. Needs good quality paper because the inks bleed a bit more than the proper stuff but otherwise no problems.

My Epson paper feed jams more often than the Canon and I have had to have the Epson repaired within the first year. Also the main board blew on the Epson recently which I had repaired at considerable expense. Oh and it makes load of stupid noises before it prints anything and carries on making stupid noises until it finishes printing.

Canon printers rule IMO but with print-rite ink it bleeds ink more than the Epson so I need both. Canon for draft prints and Epson for final prints.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    Epson, 5760dpi and 22ppm :D we have em in stock at work

good printers