OUCH....Boy thats hot!!!

budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Well now that i have had to register AGAIN...and AGAIN and AGAIN....lets get on w/ it

Get a call from my mom about a "conflict in I/O Comport 2F8" hmmmm

Tell here to disable all coms in Bios and to unplug all peripherals.

Then she says "well...now there is a memory failure"...hmmmm

I ask her to go back in to the bios and give me the temps. (know that once before when i talked to her i heard her alarm going off and asked what that was in the back ground and she said " I dont know it is coming from the pc..thats why i am calling"

Anyway it reads like this

MB temp - 104
CPU temp - 129

YIKES.....I told her to shut it down and take it to the shop....lol...think she has a prob.

Now if i remeber correctly we are suppose to keep thoses temps iin the upper 70's to low 80's Right?

TIA

BUd

Comments

• dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    I hope thats farenheit. If its celsius, that computers a gonner.

mD
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by budhisetiawan

MB temp - 104
    CPU temp - 129

Now if i remeber correctly we are suppose to keep thoses temps iin the upper 70's to low 80's Right?

Well, computers can get hot, and those temps are not 'out of control' or anything... I personally like it a tad coler, but if it's an OEM machine, those aren't bad as most OEM pay very little attention to case design/temps.

Those are 40C and 50+C temps, on par with summertime inside an OEM rig.
  • budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
    edited June 2003
    so am i wrong in think ing that here mb is toast?
  • edited June 2003
    so am i wrong in think ing that here mb is toast?
    Probably. And she probably unplugged something to set off the beeps. Check the keyboard, cpu fan plug, memory, video card.
  • edited June 2003
    I've got an original Athlon 500 @ 750, on an old MSI board, don't remember how old. It has run fine the last few years, without a hitch. The Chassis temp is 55-57 degress celsius. I don't know the CPU temp, but it's bound to be higher. I heard Athlon chips are OK unless well past 70 degrees celsius.

Gene
  • edited June 2003
    My experience with AMD cpus, is when they get over 50C they start to get unstable. Depending on the processor AMD says a max of 90C before damage.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    Well now that i have had to register AGAIN...and AGAIN and AGAIN....lets get on w/ it

Get a call from my mom about a "conflict in I/O Comport 2F8" hmmmm

Tell here to disable all coms in Bios and to unplug all peripherals.

Then she says "well...now there is a memory failure"...hmmmm

I ask her to go back in to the bios and give me the temps. (know that once before when i talked to her i heard her alarm going off and asked what that was in the back ground and she said " I dont know it is coming from the pc..thats why i am calling"

MB temp - 104
    CPU temp - 129

YIKES.....I told her to shut it down and take it to the shop....lol...think she has a prob.

TIA

BUd

No. 70 dergrees celcius is what AMD says is extreme danger zone. You get fahrenheit by multiply celcius by 1.8. So she is just over 70. I have had them act flaky over 60 degrees. Depend on the MB and how accurate the temps are.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    according to this page TEMP
    129 F is about 54C, not a bit over 70C
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Tex
    You get fahrenheit by multiply celcius by 1.8. So she is just over 70.

Bad math Tex.

To convert a Fahrenheit temperature into Celsius:

Tc = (5/9)*(Tf-32)

For example, to convert a Fahrenheit temperature of 129 degrees into degrees Celsius first subtract 32 from the Fahrenheit temperature to get 97. Then you multiply 97 by five-ninths to get 53.8 degrees Celsius.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    Problem is its probably an external reading (in-socket) so add 20*C to get the core temperature.

50*C is really a 70*C temp. Even though they can do 85*C to 95*C they have been known to survive running at higher than that for a short period of time without being damaged.

Craig
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited June 2003
    Yeah M33PiNS and CCW are right but don't go trying to insert a probe into the core... thats a no-no :D
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    what are the specs on the system?
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Shivian
    Yeah M33PiNS and CCW are right but don't go trying to insert a probe into the core... thats a no-no :D

Some boards (Abit KD7 comes to mind) give a core reading in the BIOS.

Craig
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited June 2003
    Yeah I know.... I was just being stupid. It's a pity that more don't use the thermal diode provided.

Imho AMD should go the step further and put in some sort of heat protection mechanism like the P4. Sure it won't protect against overvolting but surely it would be points for them in the general consumer market.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    Thats why corporations buy from Intel, heat protection tyhus reliablilty. You near enough cant burn out a P4

Craig