PATA -> SATA Adapters?

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited June 2003 in Hardware
How much of an impact on performance do those SATA adapters have? I was just thinking that with the 4 Maxtor 160GB drives I may be better off getting a SATA RAID card and using adapters, but I don't wanna do that if it's gonna hurt the speed too much...

Advice?

Comments

• dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Since the controller board on the drive is PATA, you wont get the SATA performance gains, shouldnt hurt performance though. Never used the adapters myself.

One advantage is the neater cabling though.

mD
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I ran a couple of Maxtors (133) and a couple of WDs (100) on my SATA controller with the adapters and there was no performance hit at all, single or RAIDed. Matter of fact they had a lower CPU utilization just like a SATA drive would have.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Geeky1
    How much of an impact on performance do those SATA adapters have? I was just thinking that with the 4 Maxtor 160GB drives I may be better off getting a SATA RAID card and using adapters, but I don't wanna do that if it's gonna hurt the speed too much...

Advice?

Geeky,

When I got my first NF2 board I got a HPT RocketRaid 1520 SATA card (with adapters and cables) too because I am one of those who can't live without RAID anymore. I was going to get a regular old RR 100 controller but noticed that they had these new SATA ones and did like the neatness of the cableing and thought it would get me in the right direction if I ever decided to go for SATA drives. Anyway, I ended up with slightly better performance with essentially the same controller and the adapters than when I was on the onboard HPT 372 on my old KT333 board. I almost hit 100K on ATTO with an empty partition. Ask Tex, I was hitting like 99,8xx reads and 96,7xx writes in ATTO and over 62k in Sandra. I wish I hadn't lost those images.

Here is what I have now with 60% disc utilization and my O/S and all apps on the same partition several months later.
    edited June 2003
    oops!
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by mtgoat

Geeky,

Ask Tex, I was hitting like 99,8xx reads and 96,7xx writes in ATTO and over 62k in Sandra. I wish I hadn't lost those images.

What images? You mean THESE images ? (grin) This was the only ones I kept from ya. This is two wd se's on a 1520 sata controller
    edited June 2003
    Tex,

Those are close but the ones I remember I sent ya were even better (incluseing a continuation of ramping up in the mid-range)and the Sandra was on the same screenie. :) I need to re-do my rig as I did a major fubar recently so I may get to save a new set. I'm happy your a good one for saving these things!