Can't Run 3DMark 2001/SE

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
System in question is WinXP Pro with DirectX 9.0, with ATI 9500 Pro video card.

After installing DirectX 9.0, I can neither run nor reinstall 3DMark 2001SE. 3DMark03 (Futuremark) runs beautifully. I realize that 2001SE is configured to run of DX 8.0. With that said though, I thought DirectX 9.0 was backwards compatible? Before I upgraded to the 9500 Pro, I was using an 8500LE; it also would not run 2001SE with DirectX 9.0. This has my a bit confused, as I'm seeing the the benchmark entusiasts are still using 2001SE as the standard.

What's up wit dis?

Leo:cool:

Comments

• edited July 2003
    Wassup is not enough folks have DirectX 9.0 yet. So they do not know\understand\accept DX9.0 results.

ATI is doing things that exceed some DX 8.0 apps abilities. I think what might be happening is that the installer is checking for DX 8.0 at install time. AND not liking a number HIGHER than 8.0, it declined to install.

see if a direct run from Start|Run of this has an emulation option anywhere:

dxdiag.exe

Should still be DirectX 9.0's included diagnostic util, was same name from DX 4 or 5 on upward.

John Danielson.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    You need to D/L the latest version of 3DMark2001se (Build330, fixed for DX9) and then it'll run. The problem is that the older versions of 2001se don't support DX9, and most of the sites that have it don't have the newer version. Try http://www.tucows.com/preview/218404.html

I think that's the correct version, judging by where Download Accelerator connects to when it's D/Ling the correct file, but I'm not sure...
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Uninstalled and removed all traces of 3DMark201SE, including registry check.

Downloaded and attempted to install Build 330 - nogo - same problems as before.

dxdiag.exe revealed no problems with my DirectX 9 files.

Work around - merely copied the successful build 330 installation from my other networked home computer. Opened the copied-to folder, selected the .exe start file, and bang, 2001SE started and ran perfectly.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    strange... sounds to me like it's time for windows to be cleaned (format c:, reinstall) to me...
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited July 2003
    I've verified that it's indeed your version of 3dMark, see if you can find another source for the file.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    You know, most of the links for downloading provided at the FutureMark site were either broken, horribly slow, or did not offer the build 330. The one where I did download from - don't remember name, listed the file as build 330. I just looked up its properties - it is build 2.11.15.0 .

The setup I copied from my other computer was build 2.11 with the 330 patch. I had never uninstalled 2001SE on that computer; that's why it accepted the patch.