Why do you do it?

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Roland and I have been friends since we met as little rascals at the sand pile in front of the new house my dad was building for us. We were three years old and I remember the meeting like it was yesterday.

Growing up and getting into our early teens we visited his grandparents who lived behind the new construction ...and he lived just a door or two from there. I remember him telling me she (his grandmother) was crazy while we were outside out of earshot and he said that a few times now and again. After his grandfather passed away I remember him telling me that she has alzheimers but I never realized the severity of the disease. I did witness one moment of the embarrassing craze but I brushed it off as senility. At that time I had little idea what the disease incured. She died a few years later.

We had always been fishing buddies Roland and I. We had the same routine season after season when the reds and trout were running. Sometimes we even went to freshwater but mostly we enjoyed the saltwater catches. Each time we returned from a trip Rolands dad counted our fish and took pics of us next to our prizes. He was always proud of those moments.

Once Mr. Horace retired I remember his wonderful garden that he had always kept weedless showing signs of neglect within a few years. It wasn't long after that it ceased to produce like most of the fruit trees in his yard. He stopped riding his bicycle as well ...something he did every single day weather permitting. He had inherited the dreadful disease that took his mother ...and perhaps his father as well.

Mr. Horace died about 10 years ago. It was a sad moment but the one thing I remember was when Roland confided in me. He said that his dad was far better off in death than the toturous life he was leading in the end and I believed him. He had told me most of the symptoms and mishaps along the way as the disease progressed but one day I actually witnessed something on my own.

We were talking after a fishing trip ...just standing there talking. This time a cane took the place of the usual camera. He was talking fine like he was aware of his surroundings and he was telling me about some of the problems he had been having with the disease. All of a sudden after he finished a sentence he just fell backwards ...right down to the hard concrete patio. After we lifted him to his feet he replied in embarrasment ..."I forgot that I wasn't sitting down".

So I fold for a cure so that we don't have to see loved ones experience such embarassing moments ...and so that they live longer healthier lives.

May God bless the Duplantis family.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited May 2006
    Do you know, I've just been sitting having a solitary dinner (Mrs Crypto is away today) and Csimon's posting is on my mind.

Why do we do it? Well for some of the younger guys and gals it's for their Grandparents and we have some moving stories which help us all to focus our minds.

Me, well I'm pretty ancient and I guess I'm hoping they blooming well hurry up 'cos it might help me shortly!

My main reason for posting though is to praise the majority of members of Short-Media. Now please don't get offended peoples of the world but I have to say that generally in Europe, the citizens of the USA do not have a good reputation I won't go in to the stereotypes but unfortunately a lot of them travel and reinforce the mode. Here in Short-Media, the majority of members are young and American.

What a great bunch of people you are. You Guys break the mold with your generosity and thoughtfulness. You really act outside the envelope in which your countrymen are cast.
    Ladies and Gentlemen I salute you. Thank you for allowing me to be a member of your illustrious group.

Now I really must go and have a cup of tea

Crypto
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    why it is you believe in this project and continue to fold.
    cauz' I can. :grr:
  • edited July 2006
    Because disease is like humans...a virus. It moves in and consumes all natural resources until the host dies and then mutates and moves on to cause more harm and destruction. It must be eradicated. All must be eradicated. The planet must be PURGED!

That and my Dad's health is failing due to his bone marrow producing too many red and white blood cells. He's from Irken I tell you! No, no, not from Earth...IRKEN. But if Earth can save him -- I'm in. I love my Dad.

casual_zim.gif
    edited July 2006
    Hope your dad makes out ok!
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited August 2006
    Hi everyone! I joined team #93 because of folding see the "who are you" thread for more details on that. Otherwise I also fold to honor my grandma and my friend Jeff C. who died of cancer. Other than that, it is great knowing that my computer's leftover processing power is going to a good cause. Let's keep it up guys, we might find the cure on day! Keep folding.
    edited August 2006
    I'm just getting home from Houston, Tx. We went to take Christopher v2.0 to the Texas Childrens Hospital for extensive evaluations to determine his condition. I feel more assured now that we can work with him and he will be highly funtional. I won't go into anymore detail unless someone really wants to know cause that's not what this is about.

This is about the stay on Main Street Texas in the heart of the Medical Center. It's a wonderful place to be if you are sick indeed ...and if you work in the medical profession I would think this place should be on the top of your list to aspire to as a working environment.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Medical Center. There are many many hotels and such in the nearby vicinity of this hospital area. There are sooooooo many hospitals and I know I at least saw one new one each day ...in addition to the 6 or 7 on the first day. There are 8 complimentary shuttles that take you to whichever hospital you need aside from the three major standard stops. They also take you to the zoo, museums, shopping or wherever on special request and never did they make us feel as though we were putting them out. All for free ...practically anywhere in Houston.

The thing inspiring me to write this now is the way I felt while I was there. I came across and met so many people who were there for several reasons. But aside from all of that the ones who tugged at my heart the most where the cancer patients ...especially the ones who you don't have to ask why they're there because it is that obvious. The conversations always start out the same (by them). Why are you here? or Who are you seeing here? or something of the sort.

I met one fellow who recognized my LSU ball cap. He asked where I was from and when I told him he just sort of snikered and told me he was from nearby. He asked about my trip and all that. He was truly concernced for my sons well being as I told about the testing and all and when I asked about him he told me he was there on a check up because he had battled cancer before and was now in remission. The next day when we spoke again he casually mentioned that the doctor told him that he needed to go through chemotherapy once again. They told him that without the chemo the chances of the cancer return would be 80% ...and with it the chance was 50%. The man never showed any sign of sadness or anything and seemed relieved that there was a doctor who could initiate the thereapy closer to home.

Today before we left there was another older guy who was wheeled to the front door of the hospital. As the doors opened he slowly stood out of the chair and walked about 6 feet over out of the way ...as though he was taking every last chance at reclaiming his dignity on this earth. The man was tall and you could tell that he had been a stronger man all of his life. The color of his skin and his slow pace was about all that gave his condition away. It really made me feel useless as a human being at that point.

Which brings me to this. It never occured to me that I am folding at home for a cure the entire time I was there. I was so overwhelmed by the various characters ...all of them trying to put on their best face and keep every single ouce of dignity that they could muster. I really wish there were more I could do.

So with that I'd just like to appeal to everyone who is folding now to encourage you to continue giving your cycles for the cause and to let you all know that your "little bit" is far better that nothing at all. Folding for the cure just seems to be a good peace of mind effort for us who are not having to go through the torment of the disease. Don't give up. Keep your points going no matter how small.

And lastly ...well today we made a stop at MD Andersons. I cannot begin to describe the way that I felt as we drove by all of those patients waiting outside for their shuttle. Out in the heat and the rain they sat there waiting for their shuttles or whatever. But the driver said something that made me think. He said "Yeah they're all there, waiting for that medical miracle". It certainly put a whole new light on things at that point.

So ...I've drawn the conclusion that we, the distributed computing services of the community who are folding for that cure, are folding for their hope. Their "medical miracle".

:fold::csimon:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Chris, that is quite a story, and it holds lessons for us all.

I've taken the liberty of publishing it on our Team 93 Front Page.

edited August 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Chris, that is quite a story, and it holds lessons for us all.

I've taken the liberty of publishing it on our Team 93 Front Page.

cool thanks prof! I'm so tired and exhausted from the trip ...the only way I can describe it is extremely humbling.
  • PsycoKillrPsycoKillr Mason City, Iowa
    edited August 2006
    B69-13933.jpg
    I'm folding because my wife had Gestational Trophoblastic Metastatic Choriocarcinoma back in 2000 and she was told that she would never have children again. Basiclly she had a miscarriage and the placenta metastisized causing 17 tumors to grow in her lungs. She's been cancer free for 5 yrs now and Thankfully she was able to have another child. My son Bane.
    edited August 2006
    PsycoKillr, I wish you and your family all the best. Every step closer that we get to solving some of these medical riddles is a step closer to eliminating the need for others to endure the problems which we hope to help cure. :fold:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    PsycoKillr... Thank you for folding and thank you for letting all us know how important it is to work towards cures!!!

!!!~ FOLD ON ~!!!
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited September 2006
    Youngest niece, born deaf in one ear and blind in one eye, diagnosed with Cancer at eight years of age, went through Kemotherapy at age nine, lost a kidney to Cancer at age eleven.

She survives today, living every day, like it could be her last.

My reason,
    Datsun 1600
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2006
    Some very stirring personal reason's for why we fold here, Datsun I hope the young lady in question has many more good day's. I do not fold for your team but I do fold, with every PC I can get.
    Why? well my two nieces do not have a mother anymore, my sister died of cancer a few years ago aged 47 she had battled cancer for over 20 years. My father also cancer he died 2001, my uncle died of cancer 3 months before I got married in '96, my other uncle has survived cancer He now has Alzheimmers, as does My mother, dealing with Her on a daily basis for years now, has brought home to me that this is the most undignified condition I have ever seen. When i take her out to the shops, I am Variously her son/brother/father and occasionally her Husband, we get some strange looks when she says the last one.
    A little poem what i wrote about my feelings for Alzheimmer's

Memories fleeting and precious,
    expect them to last forever,
    then Al's hammers come,
    little erosions everyday,
    good days, bad days,

bad days hate the disease,
    good days break your heart,
    because our memories are clear,
    of the people We love so dear,

No rhyme or reason to be sure,
    just fold on and pray for a cure.
    edited November 2006
    !!!AMEN Spike09!!!
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2006
    I thank you my folding friend,I wish I had discovered you folk's age's ago. Your attitude to help and folding is excellent. Unfortunatelly at the moment our wee folding team would implode without my input. But after my race to 250,000, I will have to consider thing's as the BWA as that would look very nice on my desktop.:thumbsup:
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited November 2006
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    I thank you my folding friend,I wish I had discovered you folk's age's ago. Your attitude to help and folding is excellent. Unfortunatelly at the moment our wee folding team would implode without my input. But after my race to 250,000, I will have to consider thing's as the BWA as that would look very nice on my desktop.:thumbsup:

Thanks for visiting Team 93 - and most of all your aspirations for the BWA! Had to edit this - got the awards mixed up somewhat. :fold::fold::fold::hiding: Jack
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited November 2006
    I lost my little sister when we were still living in moscova, she never saw her 5th birthday. I just miss her so much, it's difficult to talk about because her birthday is nearing.

I fold for her.
    edited November 2006
    Great stories, my friends. Helping to save others from going through bad things like this is what makes it all worthwhile. :fold:
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    SPIKE09 I think that poem
    is hitting the nail on the head.
    My Mom is dealing with that or
    should I say my sister is.
    I do when my Mom is with me and
    don't know what to say it's hard
    I know it has to be scary for her
    But it is for us too you don't know
    when things just turn.
    It's strange you don't know
    I wounldn't wish it on an enemy
    It's mess with more than just Mom
    We just are glad for the good,
    you know they're getting fewer
    meds don't seem to be doing to good
    But she's still living with family and
    IT will stay that way.
    We think if Mom had a good day in the hospital
    or a home would be worst than a bad day with family
    just typing what I'm thinking
    But the poem is great
  • lewicronlewicron Glasgow
    edited November 2006
    Hey Spike, nice to have a fellow Scotsman on the site :)

BTW, I work in pharmaceutical R&D, trying to develop treatments that provide symptomatic relief for Alzheimer's sufferers. It's a truly horrible disease, but hopefully effective treatments should be available in the next 5 -10 years.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited November 2006
    I can't believe I have not posted in this thread as long as it has been going on. So I'll share why I fold.

I have been folding with Team #93 as long as I can remember being with this great community. I was chosen to host a very special machine in memory of a member who passed, and it started to sink in a little more. Folding started to get personal for me when I found out my dad had cancer in late 2003. Cancer took my dad from me in July of 2005. I seen my dad battle it from start to finish with every bit of air he could take in. My dad knew about the folding project so he knew we were fighting this with him. We had a family and friends cookout for him a few months before he passed, little did we know that would have been his last cookout with his loved ones. The day before I went and got the tattoo that you see in my folding sig. The day of the cookout I spent a moment with my dad and showed it to him, I explained how the cog was apart of folding and that everytime I looked at it I will know he is with me and that I am fighting for what we would soon find out took him from us. I fold for my father and for the time that we find a cure for what took the most important man in my life from me.

Fold on Team 93!
    edited November 2006
    Thanks Clutch... Touching story. Folding is not about the competition... It a fight to cure really bad diseases... Fold on my friends.... :fold:
  • edited April 2007
    The people in the forum have helped me several times with fixing my messed up computer and never asked for anything in return. This just seems like the right thing to do. Thanks again for all your help :)
    edited April 2007
    Welcome, New Day. Every person we add to the project makes a difference. :thumbsup:
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited April 2007
    Yes,

You get help and, if you want to, you get to try and make a difference. Perhaps we'll all get to help make a "New Day" for someone -

Sounds win-win to me :) .

Thanks for joining! :thumbsup:
  • digitaltreedigitaltree Suffern, NY
    edited August 2007
    I'm folding because I think the more we know about the human body, the more we know about ourselves, and perhaps the quest for improving human life will lead to the propagation of peace for all.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I am doing it because I was told to do it and I have nothing better to do while I am sleeping...productivity to the MAX!
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Because it's an excuse to search for more megahertz.

Also, because one of my networks that I support is a retirement community and Alzheimer's is quite possibly the scariest thing I have ever witnessed.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Long ago I started folding for team 93, and I proud to call it my home. I am just curious as to why everyone puts forth such a great effort for this truly unique and amazing program we participate in. I personally started folding when alzheimer's slowly started to take my grandfather away from my family. I can only hope that someday we find a cure for all of these terrible ailments. I personally want to extend my thanks to everyone who participates in folding at home, be it for team 93 or any other team. It shows true spirit to selflessly give so much of what we have, from hardware, to the increase in the power bills from leaving our computers on for day, weeks and even months at a time. Keep it up everyone.

:fold:4life