Why do you do it?

Comments

• edited April 2005
    I do it because one of my grandmothers died 2 weeks before I was born of brain cancer, and another is dying of Alzheimers. I'd like to think that this research will mean that 20 years down the road, somebody else will get to meet their grandmother, or still be able to talk to her when she's 80.
  • MrNiceGuyMrNiceGuy Denmark
    edited April 2005
    I can't believe I haven't posted here yet :)

Why?
    - Because it's for a helluva good cause!
    - Because I am fortunate enough to participate and help with what little I can offer for the greater good.

Less serious reasons:
    - Because it's addictive! :D
    - It fuels my competitive spirit.
    - It makes me itch when my cable is out, I can't get a new WU and the CPU is idle. :eek3:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Looking over the last few comments (and all the rest, for that matter) leaves me with a very nice feeling about the way things are going. :)
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2005
    I knew when I finally got down to writing this, it wouldn't be easy. But ...

I live in a house that is just a revolving door of teenagers. It gets noisy, busy, crazee and all those other eee's you can think of. The day is going to come when it will go quiet- I'll miss them ...

I read through each of these write-ups. All your reasons run from fun :bs: to poorly masked pain.

You gave your reasons FOR folding. But (NOT from any of you) I've also heard some, uh, interesting ones against- like "They'll be able to get all our private information!", "They may be making bio-genetic weapons and drugs!", and (my personal favorite) "SkyNet is a distributed computing program too!".

My turn to say why I'm FOR it -

It looks like fun, I care, and I like competition too.

It looks like fun because some of the people here crack me up and I like point games too.

I care because I see some good people here who need the support to help them through.
    I care because I've housed those orphaned by one of these diseases.
    I care because I can't express the grief people feel when the box they inter is less than 3 feet long.
    I care because ....

Competition? Me and my lone little Athalon XP that does it only when I'm at home and me or the teens aren't using it? With all those people and their massive server farms, etc., etc. to compete with?

Yeah. Because it's not who I'm competing with but the "whats" we are competing against.

Because the competition I want to win is the one where we plant our collective foot firmly up the "whats" pitiless, relentless, unfeeling and killing ass.

And if I'm alive to see it, I plan on feeling joy ... even for my small part. Yeah. If I'm not, well I didn't want to miss this simple opportunity to help.

And to those against it- maybe so, maybe not. It is a risk, but if you bother to look around and do your homework, I think you'll discover it is straight-up. And I know what MY reasons are, God does too, and I will NOT turn away from something that may do something wonderful because I was afraid. If I erred, I'm sorry, but I erred on the side of compassion.

You all have your reasons and commitments and whatever it was, I personally pray that God bless you all and that all will turn out for the best.

Fold on.

:thumbsup:
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited September 2005
    Qeldroma,
    a very thoughtful and moving piece there.

You are very welcome in team 93.

Fold on :thumbsup:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited September 2005
    Crypto wrote:
    Qeldroma,
    a very thoughtful and moving piece there.

You are very welcome in team 93.

Fold on :thumbsup:

Could not have said it better.

Jon
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Because it's not who I'm competing with but the "whats" we are competing against.
    It could not be said better than that.

Please enjoy the team as much as the rest of us do! Thanks for joining. :thumbsup:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    So I've yet to post my reason...

the points. I have other deeper reasons, but I can assure you that without the points, I wouldn't fold.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited September 2005
    It's been so long that I had to think (always a painful excercise...) I was originally drawn here because of the Flashing The Radeon 9800 Non-Pro To A 9800 Pro thread. (I still have the same vid card. Thanks SimGuy!) and then I got curious about the sigs and the obscure references to "Folding". After installing the GUI, I was a stat watcher for about 3 months. Even made it up to 50th place before my production dropped off, or more accurately, everyone elses production increased. I'm just one CPU and I can't compete with the farms. Now, it's a habit. Like turning off the light before going to bed.. I double click that lil red icon before going to sleep.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Well I am probably one of the newest members of team 93, I fold for the pure reason of helping others. You never know which computer will fold a cure, or help someone in getting that much closer to a cure. I have allot of comps that do nothing for the most part. And I wanted to do something good with them. So I now have them folding 24/7 In just 1 week I am pushing 6000 Points, and I plan on doubling that here in the near future. I joined team 93 because this team seems very friendly, I reality I stumbled across this site looking for a place to talk about computers. And look at me now I am a folding fool.
    edited September 2005
    I joined team 93 because this team seems very friendly
    The antagonistic members (former, that is) are all buried at a remote farm in Saskatchewan. :rolleyes:
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited September 2005
    My cousin died of bone marrow cancer in 1980, at 7 years old.

She was going through Chemo, and my aunt (her Mom), and I were both designated as potential donors, but her body couldn't handle the treatments anymore.

In her honor I donate blood every 56 days, and folding agrees with my nature to help others.

It's just an added benefit, that SM is such a stand up group of individuals, I'm a better person from knowing y'all.
    edited September 2005
    RADA wrote:
    My cousin died of bone marrow cancer in 1980, at 7 years old.

She was going through Chemo, and my aunt (her Mom), and I were both designated as potential donors, but her body couldn't handle the treatments anymore.

In her honor I donate blood every 56 days, and folding agrees with my nature to help others.

RADA, thanks. :thumbsup:
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited September 2005
    Can't believe i havn't noticed this yet.

I fold for my cousin who has Parkinson's!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
  • Yui-IkariYui-Ikari edmonton
    edited October 2005
    Why? because is for a good cause ^___^
  • edited October 2005
    gotta love it
    edited October 2005
    Thank you, Yui-Ikari. Welcome! :)
  • Venz-DirgeVenz-Dirge Silicon Valley
    edited November 2005
    Why Do I do it?

well... Last year I lost my brother to Cancer..
    This year my wife Had some Cancer cells cut off her leg (still healing from that).

Cancer sucks, it is'nt fair...in fact seems to me I've heard of so many good people dieing of cancer, but never a Hitler...

My father in law is in the VA hospital with what is best described as a cross between Parkinsons and Alzheimers, One of the nicest guys I ever met, now he can barely eat (if spoon fed the right foods) in unable to walk...or talk...or make eye contact.... he'll be 65 this year.

While this project in all realistic expectations probably won't make a difference for him or my wife, Maybe my daughter...or their children...

Let's all Hope...or better yet...Let's fold.
    edited November 2005
    Very sobering, Venz.

Thank you for reminding me why I'm in this. It's testimony like that makes me hold my head high and not worry about the little extra for the electricity bill that must be paid. It's worth the effort.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I just found out 5 weeks ago my good friend Kristi has cancer ( thats why I made my comeback to team 93 I need to be aroud people with the same passion ) , Talk about an eye opener, she is only 21. Now it has only fuled my passion I went from one pc folding to 3 in my own little farm and scrounging to get a 4th
  • IamMrRayIamMrRay Otis, MA
    edited November 2005
    my grampa had cancer and I wanna try to help put an end to it all and I am ready to go all out on it. I have his support and permission to run it 24/7 in the basement once I set up a farm. :thumbsup:
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I do it so my Computer (that I have a sixth sense may be sentient:Rocker: HA) can keep itslelf busy!

Seriously- it fascinates me ; the idea of thousand/millions of computers centered around solving the same type of problems. The power is there!:cool:
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I do it cause I came here for help and read the best way to say thank-you
    is to fold. so thank-you.
    I stay cause my computer needs something to do while I'm fishing and at work
    and reading the forum keep me coming back :)
    edited February 2006
    "...to say thank you." You are welcome. Thanks for becoming part of the team. Also, thanks to all of above that I didn't mention individually.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited March 2006
    i do it because its a good cause and also because my computer is always on anyway

to be honest, it would be selfish not to

i have a competitive streak as well which is why the points is such a good idea

it makes us all work harder

if one day they find a cure for cancer or any of the other things that the F@H project contributes to, i want to be able to proudly say that i had a hand in it
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Good spirit, DJ. Everyone has their motives. Compitition while helping a good cause is as good as they come. :thumbsup:
  • chevyfan1a4chevyfan1a4 Maine
    edited March 2006
    I do it because I want to be apart of something good. I have alot of friends and loved ones that have had and even died of cancer, and if I can do something to try to find a cure, I am going to do it. I have been a member of team 93 since I first strolled into the forums. I can safely say that you are a bunch of good people and I am proud to be working amongst you all. ROCK ON TEAM 93!!!:rockon:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I do it because I want to be apart of something good. I have alot of friends and loved ones that have had and even died of cancer, and if I can do something to try to find a cure, I am going to do it. I have been a member of team 93 since I first strolled into the forums. I can safely say that you are a bunch of good people and I am proud to be working amongst you all. ROCK ON TEAM 93!!!:rockon:
    Yep.... Rock on Team #93!!! :headbange:
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited March 2006
    Rock On Chevyfan.
  • lewicronlewicron Glasgow
    edited May 2006
    I just dig polypeptide thermodynamics.

Straight up, dawg.

Word.