Need Advice Picking Parts for New Comp

edited July 2007 in Hardware
I've built computers before but have lately been quite busy and haven't kept as up to date with hardware as I should have so I am asking for some advice on picking out parts for a computer I'm building for my Dad. This would not be a gaming PC and I would not be overclocking it. So expensive video cards, cooling systems, and low latency RAM aren't really as appropriate. What I need to build is a computer with plenty of hard drive space and RAM as well as a sturdy dual core processor that will power through statistical calculations and multitasking. This computer would be running statistical packages such as R and SAS which do processor intensive calculations.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R

Memory: G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

Video Card:
EVGA 7600 GT

Case: Cooler Master Centurion. I own a similar Coolermaster Centurion and am very pleased with it.

Power Supply: FSP Group (Fortron Source) Blue Storm II 500 ATX. I'm not so sure about this choice. I'd be open to suggestions.

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint 500 Gb.

Optical Drive:
I really have no idea, maybe someone could help me out here. I want something that can read and write both CDs and DVDs. Speed is not really that important (although faster is always better) but it needs to be reliable. Here's a list of DVD burners on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010100005%201036506653&page=2&bop=And&Order=RATING

Monitor: Acer 22" LCD Widescreen

Floppy Drive:
Samsung Floppy Drive. For backwards compatibility. ;)

Speakers:
Logitech X-230 32 watt 2.1 Speakers. I have these speakers and I like them but I'm open to recommendations.

Network Card and Sound Card:
Should I bother? Sound quality isn't a big deal but if I could get a bit faster internet with a network card it could be worth it. I have broadband if that makes a difference.

Comments

• DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    You look like it will be a good machine,
    But it's up to you and what floats your boat. :)
    Just keep it in what you can afford UNLESS you
    want to make a monster :D
  • Massive_gasMassive_gas Baghdad
    edited July 2007
    if it's not gonna be used for gaming at all you can get a cheaper video card and save some cash, but that's already hella cheap for a good video card...in case your dad gets hip and starts playing games :P
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I think, for the most part, you've got a very nice balance of good parts. Why do you like the Centurion? They are attractive, easy to work in, and have really good toolless drive bays (really nice!), but they have an outdated cooling fan configuration. I know, I've got one, which is extensively modified. I mean, it will work just fine for you if you don't want to overclock the CPU.

Your selected video card is an excellent bang for the buck. There may be better for the money, but none come to mind.

Will you be using the stock Intel heatsink that's bundled with the CPU? It will work just fine for you, unless you become an overclocking fool like me. :D

Optical drive. Stick with a major brand. Over the years, I've had problems with every generic/off-brand optical drive I've owned. Good brands include Sony, Lite-On, Samsung, Philips, and Memorex. Others as well.

I'd like to recommend that as long as you are purchasing new parts, consider purchasing a spare hard drive and an external enclosure for it. Then you will have a backup for your important files.

What operating system will you use?
  • edited July 2007
    A few things I noticed, going through your list:

The memory you linked to has been deactivated by Newegg and no longer available, evidently. If you haven't already ordered it then you will need to choose different ram.

The Samsung hard drive is a good deal but Newegg is also selling the 500 Gig Seagate sata drive here for $99.99 using promo code EMC703FSEAG. $10 cheaper and a 5 year versus 3 year warantee wins every time in my book. :D

It's not worth buying an ethernet card in my opinion; onboard should do just fine. If you are an audio snob then a separate sound card might be a good investment, but that can always be added later if money is tight.
  • edited July 2007
    How about this Lite-on DVD Burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106057
    Leonardo wrote:
    I think, for the most part, you've got a very nice balance of good parts. Why do you like the Centurion? They are attractive, easy to work in, and have really good toolless drive bays (really nice!), but they have an outdated cooling fan configuration. I know, I've got one, which is extensively modified. I mean, it will work just fine for you if you don't want to overclock the CPU.

Your selected video card is an excellent bang for the buck. There may be better for the money, but none come to mind.

Will you be using the stock Intel heatsink that's bundled with the CPU? It will work just fine for you, unless you become an overclocking fool like me. :D

Optical drive. Stick with a major brand. Over the years, I've had problems with every generic/off-brand optical drive I've owned. Good brands include Sony, Lite-On, Samsung, Philips, and Memorex. Others as well.

I'd like to recommend that as long as you are purchasing new parts, consider purchasing a spare hard drive and an external enclosure for it. Then you will have a backup for your important files.

What operating system will you use?

You say the Centurion has an outdated fan configuration? How so? I've always thought the cooling was quite good. I like them because they are cheap, they look nice, and as you said they are easy to work with. If you've got any tips on modifying the case, send them my way. Also, if you know of any other cases that I should check consider, link me. :)

Yea I'll be using the stock heatsink for the processor. My current computer (built in November of 2005) was for overclocking, I got a AMD 64 3000+ with a huge Zalman copper heatsink, artic silver 5 for applying the heatsink, and really low latency Patriot memory. Now I use Ubuntu Linux which becomes unstable with overclocking. I'm also into programming now and overclocking is a possible issue when compiling. It just takes a slight miscalculation caused by a slightly unstable overclocked processor to ruin a whole compile. So really, I didn't need to spend all that money on overclocking. I can overclock the video card (6600 GT) but anything else messes up on Linux.

About the operating system, as said above I use Ubuntu Linux but I have Windows XP installed as well (dual boot setup). My Dad looks to do the same thing I think.

muddocktor wrote:
    A few things I noticed, going through your list:

The memory you linked to has been deactivated by Newegg and no longer available, evidently. If you haven't already ordered it then you will need to choose different ram.

The Samsung hard drive is a good deal but Newegg is also selling the 500 Gig Seagate sata drive here for $99.99 using promo code EMC703FSEAG. $10 cheaper and a 5 year versus 3 year warantee wins every time in my book. :D

It's not worth buying an ethernet card in my opinion; onboard should do just fine. If you are an audio snob then a separate sound card might be a good investment, but that can always be added later if money is tight.

Oops, that link to the memory was wrong. Here's the right link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098. How do I use that promo code? Will it give me an option to enter it on checkout or something?
  • edited July 2007
    fatsheep wrote:
    How do I use that promo code? Will it give me an option to enter it on checkout or something?

Yeah, when you get to the checkout page there is a box to enter the promo code in and it will then figure the discount. And it does work as I ordered that hard drive with the promo code Thursday evening and it came up at $99.99 on the invoice. I should be getting it sometimes early next week. I just couldn't pass the deal up.:eek:
  • DSPDSP
    edited July 2007
    Buddy get Micron D9 based ram :) They are latest and best chips arnd... WTH 7600 GT with tht monster .. Spend less on board I mean get XFX 680i LT SLI .. P35 is a waste ... and get 8800 GTS 320 MB any company :) Any suggestion ask :D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    This would not be a gaming PC
  • edited July 2007
    Ok here's a final update. I'm pretty sure on all the purchases except for the motherboard and possibly the case although I'm pretty pleased with that choice. It looks like a good motherboard but there are so many very similar ones, I'm not sure which one would be best:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420

Motherboard:
    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R

Memory: G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

Video Card:
    EVGA 7600 GT

Case: Cooler Master Centurion.

Power Supply: FSP Group (Fortron Source) Blue Storm II 500 ATX.

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500 Gb. Looks like with the promo code I could get it for $100. It's still showing up as $110+ in the shopping cart but I'll check the invoice before I order.

Optical Drive:
    Lite-on Black DVD Burner

Monitor: Acer 22" LCD Widescreen

Floppy Drive:
    Sony Floppy Drive. The samsung floppy disk when out of stock.

Speakers:
    Logitech X-230 32 watt 2.1 Speakers.

Mouse and Keybpard
    Logitech Mouse and Keyboard
    Any other suggestions? Particularly on the motherboard?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I think you've picked an amazingly stable and speedy motherboard.

//EDIT: And your other parts are spot-on as well.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    You say the Centurion has an outdated fan configuration? How so? I've always thought the cooling was quite good.
    The fan configuration for the Centurion, unless they've updated recently, is definitely old school. I suppose the case would work adequately for a standard, cool running system. The itty-bitty 80mm intake fan will limit how much computer heat can be effectively dealt with. If you aren't overclocking and don't have two high power video cards in SLI, the Centurion should serve your needs.

Yes, I modified my Centurion by installing a 120mm intake fan in the 5" internal drive bay cage. I also installed a large window in the side cover.
  • edited July 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    The fan configuration for the Centurion, unless they've updated recently, is definitely old school. I suppose the case would work adequately for a standard, cool running system. The itty-bitty 80mm intake fan will limit how much computer heat can be effectively dealt with. If you aren't overclocking and don't have two high power video cards in SLI, the Centurion should serve your needs.

Yes, I modified my Centurion by installing a 120mm intake fan in the 5" internal drive bay cage. I also installed a large window in the side cover.

I think I will be content to remove the fan grids with a dremel tool which should give a bit more air flow.
  • edited July 2007
    Alrighty, I just ordered it but that promo code didn't work. Nonetheless, I stuck with the Seagate because of the 5 year warranty. Thanks for all the help.