PC doesn't turn on

edited July 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys,

I just built a PC, and my worst nightmare occurs...it doesn't turn on.

System:
Asus M2N-E nForce570
2x 1gb Crucial Ballistix
AMD X2 6000+
Asus 8800GTS
Lite-On DVD-RW/Combo
Floppy
2x 250gb WD 7200rpm drives
Enermax EG565P 530W PSU

The motherboard lights up green, so it is receiving power, but nothing happens when I hit the power switch. I double checked the wiring for the power switch and all the main power connections. The fans don't spin, there is no beeping, etc. I guess tomorrow I will disassemble and see if I can get it to boot with just the basics, but I just wanted to see if anyone here had some ideas first. Almost 4am here, so I got to hit the sack for now.

Comments

• edited July 2007
    It could still be the PSU. Just because it has enough voltage to power that small little LED, doesn't mean it has enough power to power everything else.

Also check that the connection from the power switch to the mobo is secure. Some mobos have a power switch right on them to override this. If it does, try that.

Other than that, do the normal troubleshooting steps of trying to single out the component. IE replace with known good ones, etc.
  • MikeybobMikeybob Middle o' Farmer Land
    edited July 2007
    It's an Asus motherboard. Plug your speakers into the sound card and the motherboard should actually tell you what the problem is.

[edit]

Actually, you might want to check the components are distributed across the rails evenly. Also, you could try unplugging the PCI-E power lead from the GFX card. It won't boot up, but at least you can tell if there's a problem with the PSU output.

Just some suggestions.
  • edited July 2007
    Hey guys,

I just built a PC, and my worst nightmare occurs...it doesn't turn on.

System:
    Asus M2N-E nForce570
    2x 1gb Crucial Ballistix
    AMD X2 6000+
    Asus 8800GTS
    Lite-On DVD-RW/Combo
    Floppy
    2x 250gb WD 7200rpm drives
    Enermax EG565P 530W PSU

The motherboard lights up green, so it is receiving power, but nothing happens when I hit the power switch. I double checked the wiring for the power switch and all the main power connections. The fans don't spin, there is no beeping, etc. I guess tomorrow I will disassemble and see if I can get it to boot with just the basics, but I just wanted to see if anyone here had some ideas first. Almost 4am here, so I got to hit the sack for now.

Well I had a problem like this and it turned out my motherboard didn't have enough elevation off of the case. Make sure you are using the mounting posts. You probably already know that but I thought I'd say it anyways just in case. ;)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I infer from your post that you have not at any time been able to start up the computer. Is that correct?

Were it my computer, the first thing I'd check would be the power switch cable pin that attaches to the motherboard. With a strong light, recheck that connector, double checking against the motherboard manual. Your problem may be as simple as that the power up circuit is not closed due to faulty PWR connector placement.

If you are absolutely sure that the startup (PWRSW) connector is connected to the motherboard correctly, then your next troubleshooting step is what fatsheep wrote above. Ensure that every motherboard mounting hole has a metal standoff underneath it mounted to the computer case. Ensure that every standoff is securely mounted into the case and the motherboard is firmly fastened to each standoff.

If that doesn't work, pull the motherboard out of the case and place on a non-static surface such as the plastic pad in which it was wrapped in the factory box. You can also use wood or cardboard. Connect on the following to the motherboard (wall power unplugged):

memory (just one module to start with)
    CPU
    CPU cooler
    video card
    power connections from the PSU
    PWRSW connector from case (or you can short the two pins for the powerswitch connector on the motherboard with a screwdriver)

Plug in the PSU, turn it on, then press the ON button on the case bezel or use a screwdriver to short the PWR pins on the motherboard. After applying power, if the CPU fan spins, it's a 95% probability that your motherboard is in perfect working order. (It would also indicate that the motherboard was shorting out in the case or that cables were connected properly.)

You may wish to perform this third-listed troubleshooting step for the second step, because you should probably remove the motherboard from the case anyway in order to check the integrity of the motherboard-case standoffs.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited July 2007
    Have you got the 4 pin auxilliary power connected as that not being connected can cause similar symptoms.