Good Keyboard?

edited August 2007 in Hardware
I've got an old logitech keyboard and the keys are starting to stick. It's getting annoying and I would like to get a new keyboard (and maybe mouse too if it doesn't cost too much but the mouse is doing fine). What keyboards do you guys like? Should I get an ergonomic keyboard?

Suggestions are much appreciated,

- sheepie

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Razer Taranatula

www.razerzone.com
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Logitech G15.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    The new G15 is beyond sweet :)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Aside from the multi media and gaming functions, keyboards seem to be keyboards to me. I prefer a $25 logitech multimedia keyboard over the expensive ones. They seem to be quiet, reliable, and decently priced.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2007
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    me likes this one...diNovo Edge

470.1.0.jpg
    473.1.0.jpg
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I use a Zboard, and I like it plenty.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I like the Logitech LX710 Combo wireless.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    The new G15 is beyond sweet :)

^So true^

The G11 is cheaper tho if $ is an issue
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I really love my Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 - and the new version is wireless and comes with a mouse. :bigggrin:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Logitech G15.

My recommendation also.. love it :)
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I recently bought a Logitech MX 3200, and i'm quite happy. It was both keyboard and mouse. The mouse doesn't fit my hand to well, and the scroll thingy is kinda loose. Other than that I like it. I would have gone for the G15 but it doesn't exist and will probably not come, in a norwegian setup (with æ, ø and å,) which is quite important to me.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    My G15s are my best friends. I love the Logitech G15.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited August 2007
    I've just got a regular old compaq keyboard with the purple thing over the middle buttons. Not pretty, but very effective.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Aside from the multi media and gaming functions, keyboards seem to be keyboards to me.
    I partially agree. If you are not a gamer or geewhiz graphics kind of person, there's not going to be a whole of difference between one rectangular set of keys or the next.

But moving on to another format - ergonomic. For me, that is the way to go! In my opinion, Microsoft ergonomic keyboards are tops. I liked this one (pictured) so much after using it, I bought another for my computer at work. I've been using MS "Natural" keyboards for over 10 years and would be hard pressed to change. They are excellent quality. For me, when I place my hands and fingers down on the keyboard, they seem to just naturally align where they should. Microsoft makes several models of natural keyboards. You'd want to sample them at a store, as the size and prices range widely. The one in the picture, the one I recommend, is very modestly priced - about $40 online and about $5 more from a store. BTW, I would recommend purchasing from a store. A keyboard is a very personal thing, as far as computers go. A return would be so much easier with a local store. Who knows, you might need to try five or six boards before you find the one that's just right.

If you must just have the inefficient old fashioned rectangle, then I highly recommend this little humble Dell jobber. It's on the compact size, so large hands might not be too happy with it. It's also no frills, which suits me just fine. The keys (to me at least) have a perfect suspension, with very good compression and rebound. If you shop around, you can get the Dell for $10 or less. It's also very good quality.
  • edited August 2007
    Those Logitech keyboards G15 look super nice but I'm not looking to spend a whole lot ($80 is a bit much for a keyboard no?). I think I'll head down to best buy or office max and check out their ergonomic keyboard selection. Thanks for all the advice. :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    The less fancy Microsoft "Natural" (ergonomic) boards are very reasonably priced. If you were to buy one and it turned out that you like the traditional rectangle format, you won't have blown a lot of money.

Of course, unlike me, if you like all the gee-whiz bells and whistles, you can also get ergonomics with that. But you pay a premium for it.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Let us know what you decide on. I'm rather curious.
  • edited August 2007
    BLuKnight wrote:
    Let us know what you decide on. I'm rather curious.

I will be sure to. I plan on heading over to office depot when I get home from school so I'll let you know after that.

EDIT: I'll be going tomorrow after school. ;)
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    ive been thinking of a natural keyboard for some time especially since when I play I Cock the keyboard a bit
  • edited August 2007
    ive been thinking of a natural keyboard for some time especially since when I play I Cock the keyboard a bit

Well I went to Office Max and the Microsoft Ergnomic was $60! I looked on newegg and it is $21 with a mouse. Probably a different model but still... The ergonomic keyboard is going to take some getting used to but I don't mind if it really is more comfortable. I'm thinking about getting this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109156

However, it is a USB keyboard. The last USB keyboard I had didn't work outside of Windows (or other operating system) so you couldn't use it for going to the BIOS or installing Windows. I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows so I need to be able to use the GRUB menu - this is more of an issue now. This was on an older computer (built 2002 with crappy parts from pricewatch.com :-p) and so that might have just been an issue with it and not all USB keyboards.

Are there any issues with USB keyboards before the operating system is loaded?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I Cock the keyboard a bit

TMI, mate.
  • edited August 2007
    I just tested my old USB keyboard on my current PC and it only works when plugged into the back USB ports (opposed to the ones on the front panel of my case) and even then it only works after the operating system has booted as I said. There is 0 keyboard response until login on Ubuntu.

Am I going to experience this problem with all USB keyboards? Or is it just the fact that this keyboard is a 5 year old lite-on piece of junk?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    enable usb keyboard support in the bios?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited August 2007
    Or enable Legacy USB. I had an old ECS Nforce4 that would use USB keyboards only after they were enabled, and Legacy USB was on. Thought that was strange..
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    You do not want that cheapo MS keyboard and mouse combo - if you can spring for it===== the MS ergonomic - either the one I mentioned (it is damn worth it) or the more basic version that Leonardo had mentioned.

Edit/:(the one I posted)comes with software for Windows and if your online(internet) Ubuntu recognizes it - no problems.
  • edited August 2007
    Thelemech wrote:
    You do not want that cheapo MS keyboard and mouse combo - if you can spring for it===== the MS ergonomic - either the one I mentioned (it is damn worth it) or the more basic version that Leonardo had mentioned.

Edit/:(the one I posted)comes with software for Windows and if your online(internet) Ubuntu recognizes it - no problems.

The one you posted is a bit pricy for a keyboard. I was looking for a keyboard in the $10 - $25 range. The one I posted a link to looks good and has good reviews. The only thing it lacks is some wrist support...
  • edited August 2007
    Well I ended up going with the Microsoft natural keyboard. It's the best in the price range I was looking at (dirt cheap :P), has a lot of good reviews, and I checked in with some other people that use the same keyboard and mouse and they said they like it.

Again, thanks for the posts everyone, I love making topics out of my buying decisions. ;) I learn a lot each time.
  • edited August 2007
    Keyboard and mouse arrived today. The mouse is nearly silent and the keyboard is pretty quiet as well. The ergonomic keyboard has a really nice feel to it but I've gotta work on getting it to work before boot time. I'll check out what options are available in the BIOS. Overall I am very happy with my purchase so far.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited August 2007
    g-15's are sweet, my g15 needs to be replaced though. the enter key has stopped working