Athlon x2 5400+
OCZ 512MB PC2-6400 (4 sticks)
Gef 8800 OC 320 MB
M2n32-SLI DELUXE
Enermax Noisetaker 2 600w
Raptor 70gb

Heres the story:
My computer was about 1 year old when this happened:
I came home after school and tried to turn on my computer. It didnt turn on, no lights, nothing. I bought a new power supply (enermax noisetaker 2 600w). I turned on my computer with the new power supply and I have gotten 1 long beep 2 short beeps. Everyone said there was somethign wrong with my video card so I have gotten a new video card (gef 8800 [pretty sweet]) and i turned on my computer again and the same thing happened. All of my ram are working fine and everything is fine except the beep code i still get. I am not sure my processor doesnt work ( i have gotten a new one and upgraded from athlon x2 4200+ to 5400+)

I have spent about 5000 dollhairs on my computer and i dont plan to spend more.

All i get is a beep code and no display at all.

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    First thing: Try a different monitor that is known to be working if you can.
  • edited August 2007
    ok i have a monitor that i ripped from my sisters computer and the monitor has been working

YET i still get 1 long 2 short beeps and no display on the monitor
    edited August 2007
    willman32 wrote:
    ok i have a monitor that i ripped from my sisters computer and the monitor has been working

YET i still get 1 long 2 short beeps and no display on the monitor

Does your Motherboard manual tell you anything about that code?
  • edited August 2007
    Yeah they said it was a display problem
    "Either reseat or replace the video card"
    So i bought a new one and it doesnt work.
    Im beginning to thing its the pci-e slot that is broken and not recieving my video card.
    edited August 2007
    Try the video card in another computer that is known to accept a currently working video card.
  • edited August 2007
    willman32 wrote:
    Athlon x2 5400+
    OCZ 512MB PC2-6400 (4 sticks)
    Gef 8800 OC 320 MB
    M2n32-SLI DELUXE
    Enermax Noisetaker 2 600w
    Raptor 70gb

Heres the story:
    My computer was about 1 year old when this happened:
    I came home after school and tried to turn on my computer. It didnt turn on, no lights, nothing. I bought a new power supply (enermax noisetaker 2 600w). I turned on my computer with the new power supply and I have gotten 1 long beep 2 short beeps. Everyone said there was somethign wrong with my video card so I have gotten a new video card (gef 8800 [pretty sweet]) and i turned on my computer again and the same thing happened. All of my ram are working fine and everything is fine except the beep code i still get. I am not sure my processor doesnt work ( i have gotten a new one and upgraded from athlon x2 4200+ to 5400+)

I have spent about 5000 dollhairs on my computer and i dont plan to spend more.

All i get is a beep code and no display at all.

Make sure your video card is firmly in its slot. I get one lone and two shorts when my video card slips a bit out of the slot. I'm putting my money on a motherboard problem. Perhaps, when your old PSU died, your motherboard got damaged? I know that's not a very good situation but it's what it sounds like to me. Good luck with diagnosing your problem,

- sheep
  • edited August 2007
    ok, ive reseated my video card around 6 times just to be on the safe side
    doesnt work.
    if i get a new motherboard what else would i have to get to match the cpu?
    (thermal paste, heatsink)?
    I have reseated the video card in slot 1 and 2 and i only have one so far
  • edited August 2007
    also, if i get a new motherboard, will i have to reinstall anything like windows professional?
    sorry im not that smart with computeres
  • edited August 2007
    willman32 wrote:
    also, if i get a new motherboard, will i have to reinstall anything like windows professional?
    sorry im not that smart with computeres

Well you need to make sure everything is compatible with the motherboard (processor and memory especially) but you will not need to install Windows. Windows is on your hard drive and should be unaffected by the change of motherboard. I, however, cannot tell you how Windows will react to you changing your hardware on it.

I just installed Windows on my Dad's comp and when I installed the sound drivers so I could access the motherboard's onboard sound capability, Windows says I need to purchase a new license. This was resolved by a call to Windows but it's still annoying that the software does that.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I'm assuming you just want to replace the motherboard if it comes to that? Looks like it, but I hope it's not your board. That's a nice motherboard! You just need to look for a socket AM2 board of the quality and features you want. (AMD folks, help me out: Athlon x2 5400+ is Socket AM2, right?)

Mr. Sheep, correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't yet know whether the failure is the PCI-e slot or the video card. Will, you need to try the video card in a known working computer. Works - good card. You need to try a known working PCI-e vid card with your motherboard - works - good board.
    So i bought a new one and it doesnt work.
    Im beginning to thing its the pci-e slot that is broken and not recieving my video card.
    Oops, OK, I got ahead of myself. Hmm, for minimal fuss of re-installing, your best bet would be to purchase the same motherboard, then all the motherboard/chipset drivers would synchronize immediately with the Windows installation on your hard drive. Going with a different motherboard though, is not problem. I've made very radical motherboard changes before without complete Windows re-installations. It's essentially wiping out the motherboard drivers before you replace the board, replace the board, install the motherboard drivers, and perform a Windows Repair installation. Here's a more formal description at Ars Technica.

I've upgraded probably 10-15 motherboards using this method - no re-installing Windows. The one and only time that this method was not successful was when I rebuilt an Athlon XP system to an Intel Socket 478 system.

If you lose the Windows validations and have to call Microsoft, just tell the truth, that it's the same computer with a new motherboard. That works. They understand that components can fail.