Dual SMP for Quad CPU - Guide

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Now see, we get into this Linux talk, and I'm confused. In the article, it's like it's written for those familiar with Linux. "Root" and "Guest"? Linux? Also, it talks about two Linux something or another with Windows? Huh? So, installing two instances of Linux something on top of Windows something? I am not making fun of anything, I just failed to follow the article past the first few paragraphs.

Answer me this:

Is that guide written for a system running Windows of Linux?
    If Windows, does VMWare install to it just like other programs install to it (no hocus pocus secret language on black screen, right?)
    The two F@H SMP clients to be used will be Linux SMP units?
    edited November 2007
    I need this spelled out plainly. Check me if I'm wrong. Given that I'm running WinXP, I will need:

VMWare for Windows XP
    2 X SMP Folding Clients for Windows XP

Correct?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    mmonnin wrote:
    Any free versions of VMware?
    VMWare Server is free. IT doesn't have all the fancy snapshot abilities and such.

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited November 2007
    mmonnin wrote:
    Any free versions of VMware?

And is the Linux version faster than a windows SMP client?

Edit: NM I see you can use anything.

Started up an XP version of it, it showed my Abit boot manager, says 'booting from local disk', I clicked once and it locked up my system twice. Its not going so hot so far.

Like QCH said, VMware Server is free and have the basic functions required to do this task.

Linux clients are more efficient, yes.
    Leonardo wrote:

Answer me this:

Is that guide written for a system running Windows of Linux?
    If Windows, does VMWare install to it just like other programs install to it (no hocus pocus secret language on black screen, right?)
    The two F@H SMP clients to be used will be Linux SMP units?

1.- Windows
    2.- Yes, VMware installs like any other app
    3.- Yes, 2 Linux SMP clients. One on each VM.
    Leonardo wrote:
    I need this spelled out plainly. Check me if I'm wrong. Given that I'm running WinXP, I will need:

VMWare for Windows XP
    2 X SMP Folding Clients for Windows XP

Correct?

1.- yes
    2.- no, again, Linux clients.
    edited November 2007
    Thank you
    edited November 2007
    I think I'll give it a try. I've got two clients of Win SMP FAH running great on this Windows box, but stats I've seen seem to indicate points production is better with two clients each under a separate, virtual machine, each client with two processor cores.

Right now, I'm averaging about 3100ppd with two clients on WindowsXP on an overclocked Q6600 quad. I'm seeing claims for 4000ppd on VMWare. Is that bogus reporting?
    edited November 2007
    Oh, just thought of something else. I should have virtualization turned on for the CPU in the BIOS, right?

Sorry, but still more questions. The only Linux FAH SMP download at Stanford is "Linux (x86-64 bit, only) SMP." I'm running WinXP 32 Bit. Now I'm confused again. (but then, that condition happens often)
    edited November 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Oh, just thought of something else. I should have virtualization turned on for the CPU in the BIOS, right?

Sorry, but still more questions. The only Linux FAH SMP download at Stanford is "Linux (x86-64 bit, only) SMP." I'm running WinXP 32 Bit. Now I'm confused again. (but then, that condition happens often)

Yes, enable the Intel Virtualization technology in your BIOS.

And there is no problem with having a 32bit host (windows in this case) and 64bit guests (Linux) as long as your processor supports it, VMware does its thing "bypassing" Windows platform.

Do you have experience installing a Linux distro?
    Leonardo wrote:
    I'm seeing claims for 4000ppd on VMWare. Is that bogus reporting?

Yes, when you have 2 P2605 or P2653 (worth 1760points) you can get from 3900 to 4200PPD depending on RAM speed, CAS settings and other fine tunning settings.
    edited November 2007
    Yes, the processor is a Q6600, which has native 64bit processing capability and virtualization (which I will turn on).

No, I have zero Linux experience. But why? I'm only installing VMWare and 2 X F@H SMP for Linux clients.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    Because you will be running Linux inside each VMWare instance
    edited November 2007
    Any one knows if Icrontic has a FTP site? I could upload a Linux image preset for folding that could help out those who never dealed with Linux before...

The image weights 450Mb.
    edited November 2007
    We could really use a step by step instructions, for noobs like Leo and I who have like never used Linux before. Instructions like if you make a click you specify it. I can dl at 1mb plus so I dont care about the size if you tell us how to set it up.
    edited November 2007
    I´ll see what I can do... If I could pass you on this preset image, it would save you a big hassle of installing and optimizing Linux. I am not a Linux guru anyway so my knowledge is minimun in order to get the client working. :)
    edited November 2007
    Sent ya a PM for a my FTP info. Once its up one of us can pass along the info to you Leo.
    edited November 2007
    Good deal! So, bottom line: My quad core can produce more under two sort-off Linux installations in Windows than two Windows clients in Windows?
    edited November 2007
    I believe so... the result would be just as if you had 2 E6600 computers running Linux SMPs all the time... thats what a VMware over Windows, with 2 Virtual Machines, with Linux on each emulates.

But beaware that this method is best for dedicated Quads. This is because I have tested that the Clients over the VMs will not completely "release" resources when the Host (windows) requires them (i.e playing games, encoding, etc).

The result is that both VMs run at half performance and same for the host.
    edited November 2007
    Ok, I still want to try it, just not on my primary computer. No. 2 in signature is next for an upgrade. I've got all the parts except the Q6600, which is ordered. I'm just waiting on the dimbwit on eBay to get his act together. He's honest, just a dumb%^&.
    edited November 2007
    Leo, YGPM.

I think I might try installing Windows on one instance and the Linux image on the other for a direct comparison unless Leo gets to it first.
    edited November 2007
    No, I won't get to it first. I'm not all that adventurous when it comes to major software experiments. I just installed UltraVNC a few days ago. I'm still riding a big ego boost from that 'major accomplishment.'

Mmonnin, I PMed you back. I can't locate the FTP even though you gave me the address.
    edited November 2007
    I found this over at the pond:
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=446782

I also found something else that would not require 2 VMware sessions but still keep the same PPD. :)

I added a second client today for testing as a pre-read. I will report back after I take the next step and see how much I gain in PPD. I've heard as much as 1000PPD from 2 clients to this other setup, which should be close to using VMware. :)
    edited November 2007
    Great guide! Well summed and great link to preset VM linux images! Thanks!
    edited November 2007
    Looking forward to your report, Mmonnin!
    I've heard as much as 1000PPD from 2 clients to this other setup
    If that's accurate, my No.1 rig would be pulling 4150ppd on the 2653 work unit.

BTW, all my parts are here for upgrading No. 4 this weekend to quad.
    edited November 2007
    I have only seen that high PPD with a bit more of an OC. My quad is set only to 3Ghz for now. I'll bump it up after this test. So far I am 1 client was running at 2800PPD at 9:03 per frame. With 2 clients running they are at 17:02 and 19:03 for 1488 and 1330 PPD on each client. So roughly about the same PPD with 1 vs 2 clients.

My C2D runs at about 1800-1900 PPD at 3.16 so about 1700-1800 each client on the C2Q would be reasonable for 3GHz. So 500-600PPD increase with VMware or this setup. :)

And its kinda nice now that Fahmon isnt *hung* for any other computer on the network besides the one its installed on...
    edited November 2007
    Attached is my current fahmon for the VMs on Quad #1 and Quad #2

Both are doing 4000PPD+ on the P2605s. The only diff between the two is that Quad #2 has 4-4-4-12 timmings where Quad #1 has 5-5-5-15.

Both are @ 3Ghz.

EDIT: I wonder how much a Yorkfield would do @ 4Ghz :hair:
    edited November 2007
    Wow that much difference just with timings!!!

So each Quad instance is on par with my C2D system. Instant 800PPD at 3GHz with no VMware instances. I may have to try VMware anyway just to see if I can get up to your 2000+ PPD at 3GHz.

http://distributed.org.ua/forum/index.php?showtopic=1149

Its an automatic infinity changer for FAH SMP. It will automatically set the afinity for each fahcore.exe that is running every 10 min. Install it, go to services.msc and tell it to run (or restart) and I gained 800PPD since this morning when I posted. !!!!! Screenies coming in a sec.
    edited November 2007
    A before and after installing of the FAHSMP Affinity CHanger. Thats all I did. Nothing else. 2 clients under WinXP before and after. :)

C2Q was just 1 client running on all 4 cores, but was essentially about the same PPD as 2 clients. I posted that info above.
    Before:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=24273&d=1194572240

Check out C2Q1 and C2Q2 running at 3GHz. C2D is running at 3.16GHz. And oh my stats as well!! :)
    After:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=24274&d=1194572240
    edited November 2007
    Each quad instance is now out performing my C2D by about 100PPD now. I did install it to my C2D syste, but recieved minimal results. Up to 6770PPD with those same machines. :)

Just because of this, being able to run 2 clients w/o VMware, I may just upgrade by desktop to a quad.

Oh crap...I forgot to post this from this morning. But yeah uber!
    edited November 2007
    Congrats! :D
    edited November 2007
    I am all over this. Getting ready to install that new trick.

BTW, as I write this, I'm installing Windows on system No. 4. New Q6600 and Abit IP35-E is humming away, just waiting for the OS and drivers...and 2 X WinSMP FAH!
    edited November 2007
    Alright! The Affinity Changer is running on System No. 1 now. Of course, it will be a day or so before I can verify results.

Bonus! System No. 4 is now a quad. 2 X FAH WinSMP with Affinity Changer are now running on it as well.