Dual SMP for Quad CPU - Guide

13»

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    w00t!!!! I moved to 2 clients at night, got the 1300/1400+ readings, installed in the morning before work and was up 800PPD later that night.

Both C2Q clients are sitting 40-50PPD short of 2000 while my C2D at 160MHz more is just over 1800MHz. Pretty sure the timings are pretty relaxed on the C2D but thats for another day. I dont wont to end up like Keebs and making a post like "Im F'ing wasted" or some **** like that even though I am!!!! :D I lub U keeber!!! ROFL :D
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2007
    It sounds nice- but I had this thought-

Would you recommend it only for a dedicated folding box, like Nex recommend with the VMWare?

You see- I'm not so sure about putting a 3rd-party (from Russia, I think) utillity in a box to run an application I turn over my Admin password to.

I'm sorry, I know that's paranoid- but I have reservations about putting it on a main rig.
    edited November 2007
    There is no password required. You use your password to install FAHSMP so whats the difference.

Dedicated or not, it doesnt make a difference. Sure if you use your cores for something else you will get less of an improvement since other things are taking CPU power. But this is better than running VMware instaces on your main and more PPD than 1 or 2 clients.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Some preliminary results. Yesterday I put together system No. 4 in signature. I don't yet have a high overclcock on it, as it's a new, untested system. The OC right now is 600MHz, 2.4 -> 3.0GHz. FAHMon shows it to be outproducing what my other quad was producing by 700PPD. The other quad, No.1, does now have Affinity Changer installed and running, but FAHMon is not yet reporting the new performance rate, rather the old rate, which is the average performance before Affinity Changer was installed.
    from Russia, I think
    Close, but no cigar. It's from the Ukraine.
    edited November 2007
    FAHMon doesnt show an increase right away, it must use some type of average to get PPD. I played a game on my C2D, the PPD went down to 1300PPD from 1800PPD. It gradually went back up to 1800PPD I.E. I saw scores in 1400, 1500 PPD range.
    edited November 2007
    Correct. FAHMon shows a much higher PPD on my new quad because there is no 'slower' pre-Affinity data. The other quad system gets all the pre-Affinity data included in factoring the PPD.
    edited November 2007
    Amazing! Compare the red boxed area to the green boxed area. Both boxed areas represent a Q6600 with two FAH SMP clients processing work units. In both cases the work units are 2653. The red box reflects the increased Folding efficiency with Affinity Changer running. The green box has Affinity Changer running as well, but is still showing points per day production with previous production rates factored in. Granted, the computer represented by red is overclocked higher. Nevertheless, we are looking at about an 800PPD improvement with Affinity Changer running as a service. (The greater overclock of red over green is probably worth about 200PPD.) This is huge, simply huge.
    edited November 2007
    :)
    This is huge, simply huge.

Thats what SHE said!

I just had to, it was wide open.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2007
    Got my interest here, so two instances of the SMP client running on a Quad under windows will produce more pointy things running the optimizer.??? yeah not my usual schpeill I know Leo, but it will help My surge to the top 100 actives on team 93 so asking??
    edited November 2007
    It just takes the place of having to use VMware, and its more efficient than running 2 clients alone, thats it. I'm not comparing Windows vs Linux.
    edited November 2007
    Spike, I'd like to echo what Mmonnin stated. I am not in a position to compare VMWare/Windows/Whatever, but I can say that based on production data so far, Affinity Changer boosts production on my Windows XP boxes by 700+ PPD. Conditions are two Windows FAH SMP clients running on the effected computers. Sorry, don't know about VMWare. I won't try it, now that Affinity Changer is working its magic.
    edited November 2007
    I might try it to compare Linux vs Windows. I found another guide on the pond as well for that.