Vegetarian "Purification Cycle"

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    The average human needs about 200g, not 50.

Uh, what? Can you provide some non-bodybuilding-related scientific resources that support that claim?
    How much protein do we need? The RDA recommends that we take in 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram that we weigh (or about 0.36 grams of protein per pound that we weigh) 1. This recommendation includes a generous safety factor for most people.
    Source
    How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary. Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.
    Source
    We have seen in our lab that individuals undergoing endurance training increase their protein needs to about 1 to 1.2 g per kg per day, well above the RDA. In contrast, for subjects performing resistance exercises or weight lifting, the RDA for protein seems to be adequate. In resistance training, you are building up muscle and protein is used more efficiently.
    Source

According to these docs, considering the idea that I'm training, the 150g I take in daily is more than adequate. If I were not, according to the RDA, I would need 50.9g of protein daily to get by.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I would shoot for a minimum of 1g per pound of body weight, I don't consider that any sort of body-building thing either. The RDI is fairly out of date, though. More protein won't hurt, particularly if you're trying to gain/preserve muscle.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited September 2007
    here's one example of a dish I like a lot:

Mutter Paneer (this is indian curry with chunks of goat cheese)

1 serving:

147 cal
    10.7 carb
    8.5 prot
    8.1 fat

That's just one example - it's 1:45 am and I don't feel like trolling the web for nut. info on various veg dishes. You can do the same if you're that curious.

Remember that plant protein is just as valid as meat protein, and doesn't contain any sat. fats or cholesterol. Also the fiber intake is way up which is good for the cholesterol and digestive system.

It's sure easier to get protein through meat, but then that's why america is probably the fattest country on earth. I don't exempt myself from that - i'm fat too, but like I said, I'm not in this for any reason other than "i feel better after a while".

I'm not suggesting you're in it for other reasons. I'm just pointing out the nutritional deficiency, with regard to protein that brings about, for people that eat that way as a rule rather than a break from regular dietary eating.

That dish you suggested is fine nutrionally as a snack. If those are the kinds of meals you're eating all day you need probably 20x the nutrients in order to be approaching optimal nutrition. I realize you're doing this because you feel better. I'm speaking from a physical fitness / bodybuilding perspective. I structure my dietary needs around two goals at different times of the year, adding muscle, or losing fat. From that perspective, at 10g of protein per meal, I'd need to eat a solid 20 of those dishes per day to get the nutrients I need.

Again, I realize we have different goals. I'm just pointing out the deficiency in case other people in the fitness clubhouse here have similar goals to my own.

America is not the fattest country on earth because of meat. America is the fattest country on earth because of two reasons:

1 - Our food portions are ridiculous. Most people order a meal and they feel compelled to eat everything on their plate. The portion sizes in this country are signficantly larger than other countries. As a result people here eat a friggin tripple cheeseburger and a supersized fries with a large coke and they just took in more than 1000 calories comprised mainly of fat and carbohydrates. Most people who aren't actively bodybuilding can survive quite easily and healthily in the 2000 calorie range. People in this country take in more than half the calories they need for a day in a single sitting. That stalls metabolism and overloads your bloodstream with excess calories that get stored as fat.

2 - The carbohydrates we consume here. Carbohydrates, particularly high glycemic index carbohydrates like fries and what not, spike the insulin levels in the human bloodstream faster than almost anything else. As a result the bulk of the carbohydrate and fat calories are stored as fat. We all know that isn't healthy. In other countries a healthy meal consists of fruits, vegetables, sliced chicken in a salad, etc. Those are high fiber and primarily low glycemic index carbohydrates paired with lean sources of protein. Here, its a friggin bigmac and fries.

Cutting out sources of protein is not going to yield signficant weight loss, the opposite is true of carbohydrates. Protein doesn't spike insulin levels the way carbohydrates do. Protein is also harder for the body to break down and thus leaves you feeling full and satiated longer. As an added bonus protein is less likely to be stored as fat, boosts metabolism, and is more likely to be converted to muscle than carbohydrates.

I'm glad the veggie stuff makes you feel better but meat isn't why america is fat and veggie food, while healthy, is not a significant source of protein.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited September 2007
    LawnMM wrote:
    You asked for thoughts...

I think you're starving your body of protein when you do this and thats not good for you physically and it certainly will help derail any efforts as far as 'toning up' or losing weight.

You'd be surprised in how many years of no meat it would actually take to create a protein or iron deficiency. Theres plenty of protein in whole grains and beans and if he had to he could take Vitamins B12 to take care of any iron problems (which would be very rare)
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited September 2007
    I'm playing catchup. Apparently we all replied as I was typing up my last one.
    Nightwolf wrote:
    You'd be surprised in how many years of no meat it would actually take to create a protein or iron deficiency. Theres plenty of protein in whole grains and beans and if he had to he could take Vitamins B12 to take care of any iron problems (which would be very rare)

Really? I lost probably 10-20lbs of muscle in less than a year when I moved to Colorado because I couldn't afford a gym membership at the time and I wasn't even coming close to 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. There is protein in whole grains and beans, but if you're going to get 1g/lb of bodyweight in per day yer eating a hell of a lot of grains and beans.
    Leonardo wrote:
    Now, if the majority of carbohydrates is white bread crap and junk food, yeah, then strip it out. If it's complex carbohydrates and whole grains, go for it! It WON'T get you fat. The garbage white bread and highly processed crap WILL get you fat.The biggest craziness is the rush to stupid fads

I agree with most of what ya said Leo, just gonna address some of it. I never said eating carbohydrates will make you fat. If you pay attention to the glycemic index you can go nuts. Prime started the thread talking about short-term changes with a specific goal. He does the veggie thing and it cleans out his system a bit and he feels better. I'm suggesting carbohydrate cycling for people that are trying to trim off some fat.

Thats not a fad, its an accepted and proven practice in the fitness world. I'll go more into the mechanics if people want.
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Uh, what? Can you provide some non-bodybuilding-related scientific resources that support that claim?

You can take your nutrient guidelines from the RDA if you want. I'm going to take them from fitness and bodybuilding experts. I'm not talking about the roided up pro's either. I'm talking about the really fit people with fitness and nutrition degrees. Pick up any fitness magazine and you'll see 1g/lb of bodyweight is a pretty universal recommendation for regular people. They recommend even MORE for people trying to add muscle to their frame.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    You know what's cool is this: A thread about this very subject was the very first thread I ever posted on in the original Icrontic. :)

Full circle :ninja:

Anyways, this thread might not be quite topical, because I'm not claiming to "be" a vegetarian. I'm just eating no meat for a few weeks while my poopchute gets scrubbed nice and shiny clean :crazy:
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited September 2007
    If thats your goal just eat one of those bran muffins!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Anyways, this thread might not be quite topical, because I'm not claiming to "be" a vegetarian. I'm just eating no meat for a few weeks while my poopchute gets scrubbed nice and shiny clean :crazy:

MOAR !BEERZ

;) j/k best of luck!
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Stuff you stomach with Taco bell and then go out for some beers... your poopchute will be cleaned and then some the next day I promise...
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    For almost a year now I've eaten as many chickens as possible daily.
    Citizen of the year, I say.

Tell me Nomad, do you cross the road now with confidence! And do you know why you cross the road? (you are what you eat?)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I'm glad, though, that you're willing to exchange in dialogue about it and even ask questions to learn more, like the one about the protein content of international dishes.
    LawnMM wrote:
    I'm just pointing out the nutritional deficiency, with regard to protein that brings about, for people that eat that way as a rule rather than a break from regular dietary eating.

I take it back. You're apparently not open-minded about this topic at all, and it seems that you only asked about the nutritional content of the international dishes in order to again criticize the vegetarian way of life.

Lawn, you're displaying the same attitude as the people who always tried to make me feel like a second-class citizen for being vegetarian. It's disappointing, because most of your posts in the past were very well-reasoned and level-headed, but on this topic you're being just as closed-minded as the people that persecute others just for eating differently.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I am a vegetarian on a workout regimen and I do not suffer from lack of protein AT ALL. It is very easy to get plenty of protein without meat, and anyone who insists otherwise in the face of the facts is intentionall blinding himself to the truth.

I have never once tried to convert someone to vegetarianism, but people take the existence of the concept as a threat to their meat-eating ways.

Thanks, Lawn, for once again making me feel like the kid in class who got picked on for bringing a lunch of whole-grain breads and avocado instead of eating cafeteria food.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I take it back. You're apparently not open-minded about this topic at all, and it seems that you only asked about the nutritional content of the international dishes in order to again criticize the vegetarian way of life.

Lawn, you're displaying the same attitude as the people who always tried to make me feel like a second-class citizen for being vegetarian. It's disappointing, because most of your posts in the past were very well-reasoned and level-headed, but on this topic you're being just as closed-minded as the people that persecute others just for eating differently.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I am a vegetarian on a workout regimen and I do not suffer from lack of protein AT ALL. It is very easy to get plenty of protein without meat, and anyone who insists otherwise in the face of the facts is intentionall blinding himself to the truth.

I have never once tried to convert someone to vegetarianism, but people take the existence of the concept as a threat to their meat-eating ways.

Thanks, Lawn, for once again making me feel like the kid in class who got picked on for bringing a lunch of whole-grain breads and avocado instead of eating cafeteria food.

I completely see where you are coming from, I was that guy who thought vegans were malnourished idiots who were just too scared of living how nature allowed... eating animals. From what I've seen so far I could easily be a body builder and a vegan at the same time. There are algae and plants, grains and nuts that provide a ton of protein. And while this protein may be in smaller quantities, it's a higher grade protein that is more easily digested and taken into the body to be converted.

I was right about some vegans I've known in the past though, but they simply did the same thing I did. They as well as I didn't get variety in the diet. I ate meat and nothing but meat, with meat on the side, I could not stand vegetables and fruits were never my fortay.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Nomad wrote:
    For almost a year now I've eaten as many chickens as possible daily.

This actually sounds close to my diet these days...
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:

Very true, GH. It is not difficult to get sufficient levels of protein on a vegetarian diet. People would be surprised just how much protein can be ingested simply by eating a variety of vegetables, nuts, legumes and whole grains. Keeping variety in a vegetarian diet is key, as you get all of the complementary proteins that way. Consuming dairy products makes that even easier as dairy is comprised of 'complete' proteins. I doubt I'm as careful as you are with your diet, GH, and I've never felt better in all my life. I have never suffered from a lack of protein, and infact, feel much better than I ever did when I ate meat. I hardly ever get sick and feel very energetic.

I've had countless debates with family and friends over the years about this, and it is always the same questions and misconceptions about vegetarianism that come up. I generally don't discuss it any more as the people asking rarely want to be open minded on the subject. They are generally quick to discredit it as unhealthy, too difficult or simply weird--which is when the ethical and moral debates begin that I refuse to get into. I never try to force my views on anyone, but somehow, others find it necessary to force contrary views on me--every time.
    edited September 2007
    Keep up the friendly banter, mates :D

Yesterday I had a bowl of strawberry oatmeal, okra curry for lunch, a chapati (indian whole grain flatbread) with some labne (lebanese home-made yoghurt), and plain jane Ragu spaghetti sauce on some whole wheat pasta. And a PB+J.

Feelin' fine! ;)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I eat Horse, Cow, Goat, Lamb, Pig, Buffalo, Ostrich, Chicken, Fish, Alligator, Duck, Frog, Rabbit, Deer & many other types of meat...

Without them I would die....

But congrats on stating your a tree hugger :) lol :)

Veggies are bad for the taste buds :) but I must learn to eat them...
    edited September 2007
    Sledge wrote:
    Without them I would die....
    I doubt that.... :p
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I doubt that.... :p

No I really would...
    edited September 2007
    No, I really doubt that :D
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited September 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:

Negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.

As I stated in my responses to Prime everybody gets into these different ways of eating for different reasons. I'm looking at it from a fitness and bodybuilding perspective because thats what I spend a lot of my free time on. I know there are people on this site, and probably reading this forum, that are interested in packing on some muscle as well. If thats the case I wouldn't advise the vegetarian way of eating as an efficient way to go about achieving that goal for reasons I've already stated.

I'm not criticizing and I'm certainly not trying to make somebody feel like they are second class because of the way they choose to eat. Once again, I'm speaking with regard to what is often a goal of many people - they want bigger muscles and they want to drop some fat from their frame. If thats a goal of somebody reading through this forum looking for nutrition ideas I think it best they know that protein is paramount in achieving that goal and that its scarce in the vegetarian menu.

I'm glad you're a vegetarian and its a choice you made and one you like. I'm even happier to hear you work out because most people in this country do not and its a contributor to the fat society we've evolved into. I'll even concede that you are getting enough protein in your diet but that really depends on what your goals are, and what your progress is.

Again I'll ask out of curiosity, how many grams of protein are you consuming daily? What do you weigh? What kind of workouts are you doing and what sort of fitness goals do you have? Are you maintaining, trimming down, bulking up, what? I'm not asking because I'm fishing for more ammunition, I'm asking so I can put what you're saying in perspective. **Question retracted I'm reading your other thread***

I couldn't get enough protein in with some of the stuff we've been discussing so far for my goals. That doesn't mean everybody else has the same goals. Nor does it mean other people can't have the same goals and still make progress eating vegetarian dishes. Based on my experience though, there are more and less efficient ways of shaping up and for those considering eating vegetarian I believe that to be less efficient. Not because I have something against vegetarians, because the significant sources of protein are not on the menu.

Could I get the 200+ grams of protein I shoot for every day eating vegetarian? Probably, but I'd be eating constantly and I have enough trouble eating often enough to make 200 happen WITH dense sources like chicken, turkey, beef, etc.
    RWB wrote:
    I completely see where you are coming from, I was that guy who thought vegans were malnourished idiots who were just too scared of living how nature allowed... eating animals.

I don't think they are idiots or malnourished. I think for people who want to muscle up and trim down that vegetarian is not the best way to go about meeting their nutritional needs with those goals. Doesn't mean you can't be vegetarian. Doesn't mean thats a knock against vegetarians. Just means if people are looking for nutrition advice in here with goals similar to mine I'd advise against it, that is all.

If that makes me some kind of anti-vegetarian biggot I guess you can call me what you will then.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    LawnMM wrote:
    I don't think they are idiots or malnourished. I think for people who want to muscle up and trim down that vegetarian is not the best way to go about meeting their nutritional needs with those goals. Doesn't mean you can't be vegetarian. Doesn't mean thats a knock against vegetarians. Just means if people are looking for nutrition advice in here with goals similar to mine I'd advise against it, that is all.

If that makes me some kind of anti-vegetarian biggot I guess you can call me what you will then.

Sorry man, I wasn't pointing that at you... I was only saying that I was that guy.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited September 2007
    RWB wrote:
    Sorry man, I wasn't pointing that at you... I was only saying that I was that guy.

Whatever veggie-biggot! :D By the way I've still not shaken the urge to refer to you as Loki :p
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    LawnMM wrote:
    Whatever veggie-biggot! :D By the way I've still not shaken the urge to refer to you as Loki :p

Wow most people don't even remember that!

BTW I've been continuing my research and it does appear that most veggies don't provide the whole proteins, except almonds(which I am acquiring a taste for slowly thanks to my nature trail mix). You have to eat a variety of veggies to get the complete proteins. I am still figuring out what the hell is different between proteins and what is a protein, but so far from what I can tell Almonds and Spirulina provide superior proteins that are highly digestible and potent in some way.

I have 2-3 days before I have enough money to go out and buy more food, which I plan on using on mostly veggies(which is why I am researching), but I will continue eating fish and eggs simply because I love them. But I might take a couple weeks and kind of do what Prime is doing and go on an all veggie diet to cleanse the system. Hence the juicer thread I have, I am gonna do that all veggie/fruit juice diet and see how it goes, but I still want all my vitamins and nutrients. The more I research the more my plans change though haha.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited September 2007
    RWB wrote:
    Wow most people don't even remember that!

I'm a community veteran my good man! I remember it all!

Good luck with the veggies and feel free to leave out the details of the cleansing!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    LawnMM wrote:
    I'm a community veteran my good man! I remember it all!

Good luck with the veggies and feel free to bring on the details of the cleansing!

Well you see, first you take a tablespoon of Sea Salt and add it to a large glass of luke warm water and chug it on an empty stomach. After that stick around near a toilet and have plenty of cleaners on standby for the next unforgettable 4 hours.
    :bucket:

Ohh and sorry if I just destroyed this thread...
    edited September 2007
    Vegan vs. Vegetarian.

WHAT is the difference? When I was growing up, people knew what a vegetarian was: someone who did not eat the flesh of animals. There were total vegetarians - no animal products at all, and lacto-ovo vegetarians - those who would include in their diet dairy and egg products. Now, all of a sudden in the 90s, out of nowhere, comes this term "Vegan." What is it? Vegan? Something from Star Trek? Is it just a group coining a word in order for them to appear new, inspired, and original? The name almost sounds like a religious status or something, a la, "I have attained the level of vegan, with nirvana to follow shortly". Forgive me if I offend anyone; I really don't know this term.

I intentionally did not look up these terms as I wanted to hear the popular definitions from you guys.
    edited September 2007
    A vegan is someone who strives to utilize no animal-based products in their daily lives - A true vegan won't wear leather, won't eat any product that comes from an animal (including dairy), won't use any products that contain animal extracts (like most cosmetics). True vegans are almost like a religion or a cult.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    A vegan is someone who strives to utilize no animal-based products in their daily lives - A true vegan won't wear leather, won't eat any product that comes from an animal (including dairy), won't use any products that contain animal extracts (like most cosmetics). True vegans are almost like a religion or a cult.

Interesting... thought a vegan was just short for vegetarian. Or a short vegetarian..........
    edited September 2007
    Thanks for the explanation. Clear - concise.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Basically vegans don't eat anything that casts a shadow.