I'm not folding..

JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Folding@Home
..But I want to. I have installed the program (console version), and done everything according to the instructions here: http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29800
But when I go through my processes there are none saying [EMAIL="F@H"]F@H[/EMAIL] or anything... Have I done anything wrong?

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2007
    While I can't follow through on this today (work) I think whoever might want a little more to work with.

Are you folding in Windows (XP, Vista)? What version of the client did you download? Did you set it up as a service?

However, also post the FAHlog.txt and client.cfg files from the directory you installed folding in.

EDIT ADDED: BTW, thanks for pitching in- I hope we get this cleared up soon.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Are you running XP? I will assume so.
    You created a folder called folding, or what ever you want.
    You down loaded the console version into it.
    you then ran it from that folder.
    It asked a bunch of questions (name, team, and so on)
    Did you tell it to install as a service? To always start running at start up.
    -I don't do this because no one but me uses my computers so I don't worry about someone else shutting it off.
    Now if you look in that folder there will be a f@h.exe file.

What isn't right?
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited September 2007
    Jokke wrote:
    ..But I want to. I have installed the program (console version), and done everything according to the instructions here: http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29800
    But when I go through my processes there are none saying F@H or anything... Have I done anything wrong?
    you don't really install the console version you just run the fah.exe file, usually from a shortcut to allow setting of flags etc.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I'm on Vista actually. Using the 5.04 version. I did install it as a service, answered no to all the other questions except the one about large work units, as I have 2 GB ram. I then rebooted, but no FAH-process... nothing....
    Uploaded FAHlog.txt but it wont upload client.cfg.
    edited September 2007
    Jokke wrote:
    [09:22:13] Writing local files
    [09:22:20] Extra SSE boost OK.
    [09:22:21] Writing local files
    [09:22:21] Completed 0 out of 125000 steps (0)
    [09:47:04] Writing local files
    [09:47:04] Completed 1250 out of 125000 steps (1)
    [10:10:35] Writing local files
    [10:10:35] Completed 2500 out of 125000 steps (2)

Folding@Home Client Shutdown.

This is indicative of a healthy client with a normal shutdown- did you end it?
    edited September 2007
    I restarted the computer, as the guide says... Is the install not completed? Should I reinstall?
    edited September 2007
    I see now. You're being stopped because the Vista UAC is not letting you install the client as a service. This makes the procedure a little more complicated than Keebs has it in that write-up.

You have a couple of ways of doing this, but let's go by the book for now and see what happens:

FAH Wiki version of Client installation on Vista Procedure

Let us know how it goes ...
    edited September 2007
    I did all the steps on that page. The problem seems to appear when it is writing the local files. after 3 hours it has only managed to complete 5000 out of 250000 steps, as seen in this log:

[10:47:49] Writing local files
    [10:47:54] Extra SSE boost OK.
    [10:47:55] Writing local files
    [10:47:55] Completed 0 out of 250000 steps (0)
    [11:41:43] Writing local files
    [11:41:43] Completed 2500 out of 250000 steps (1)
    [12:32:04] Writing local files
    [12:32:04] Completed 5000 out of 250000 steps (2)

It's just so damn slow. The clock is now 15:17 local time. So nothing new has happend in about three hours...
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited September 2007
    What a PITA Vista is... specially for Folding... damn! :(
    edited September 2007
    Alright, since my last post here it has completed 12500 out of 250000.... Is there nothing I can do?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    When you look at task manager it is pulling 100% on both cores right? Nothing else using any capacity?
    edited September 2007
    It doesn't show up in task manager... Or it does after I start it manually. It then uses 47-49%...
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2007
    The time stamp given is not the one of your computer, rather the Stanford servers.
    edited September 2007
    Jokke wrote:
    It doesn't show up in task manager... Or it does after I start it manually. It then uses 47-49%...

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with your rig. What's in it?

The 5.04 client is a single threaded client and will only use one core's worth of CPU capacity. How fast it folds will depend on what CPU you have and what project/protein you're folding. Post your log again, this time from the point where you began loading the client to where it is now- it should tell us the project you're folding.
    edited September 2007
    I'm not too familiar with my rig either. I have a AMD Turion 64 X2. Is that a two-core processor? I have 2 gig of ram, and i'm running vista. It's a laptop. I have been running The FAH-console all day, and I still don't get it. A new error has occured. Will post a log.
    edited September 2007
    I'm not really certain here. Your failures appear intermittent at first, then happen continuously. I'm half tempted to suggest that your CPU is overheating- or something is faulty in the system. How long have you owned your system and when have you last cleaned it?

As far as system performance, The Turion X2 is a good processor, but not a performance CPU with a large amount of cache- so I would not recommend running an SMP client on it (which you aren't). You are at least running the right client for the system you have- but let's get this figured out first.
    edited September 2007
    The system is just under a month old, and as it is, I have never cleaned it...
    edited September 2007
    Wow- unless you are blocking your system air ducts or have your system in a really dusty/dirty area, overheat may not be your issue then.

If you have diagnostic tools that came with your system, you could try running them. You might also try Memtest to see if you may have a weak memory area.

I also thought that you might be trying to run more than one of the same instance. Run FAH in configuration mode (that's \FAH504-Console.exe -config from a DOS command prompt) and set it so that it won't run as a service. Remove any shortcuts you may have created- esp. in the Startup folder. Now try uninstalling F@H from everywhere you can think of- doing a search for the .exe files (in your case FAH504-Console.exe) removing the entire installation directory with it. Reboot and verify you do not have FAH running.

Reinstall using a different directory name and do NOT install it as a service. Create a desktop icon and run it and, if OK, leave it running from there just to see if it works right.
    edited September 2007
    Qeldroma wrote:
    Run FAH in configuration mode (that's \FAH504-Console.exe -config from a DOS command prompt) and set it so that it won't run as a service. Remove any shortcuts you may have created- esp. in the Startup folder. Now try uninstalling F@H from everywhere you can think of- doing a search for the .exe files (in your case FAH504-Console.exe) removing the entire installation directory with it. Reboot and verify you do not have FAH running.

Reinstall using a different directory name and do NOT install it as a service. Create a desktop icon and run it and, if OK, leave it running from there just to see if it works right.

Done. Now we'll see.......
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Just thought I'd chime in - I've got a Turion X2 as well, and it's working on SMP on Linux downstairs. It does take quite a while. You might just be a little too impatient. Mine takes 35-45 minutes a frame, whereas upstairs I'm hitting 20-24 on an X2 6000+. If you're running just the 5.04, though, if you've installed it as a service, you won't see it in the programs in your task manager, you'll see it under the services tab. And if it's dual-core, and you only installed one instance, you'll only be using 50% of your processing power.

Sorry if this has already been discussed and thrown out amongst yourselves, but installing as a service pretty much hides it from you in my experience, so I thought I'd mention it.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited September 2007
    After uninstallation and removal of all previous folders and files..
    Create the directories C:\FAH and C:\FAH\FAH1

Download the folding client program, FAH504-Console.exe
    And save it in the folder C:\FAH\FAH1

Skip the new beta client, version 6.01. Don't know how good it is.

Create the following two files in the directory C:\FAH\FAH1, with the following contents

File: 1_Config.cmd
    FAH504-Console -configonly

File: 2_Make.cmd
    FAH504-Console -local -verbosity 9 -forceasm -advmethods

Click on file 1_Config.cmd, and setup your folding data as follows.
    Fill in the data, marked in Red.
    Otherwise just press the "enter" key.

Note Jokke666 is no good because of the tripple 6, please reconsider :)

Folding configure parameters.
    1. User name []?
      JokkeTheViking
    2. Team Number []?
    3. Launch automatically at machine startup, installing this as a service (yes/no) [no]?

4. Ask before fetching/sending work (no/yes) [yes]?

5. Use Internet Explorer Settings (no/yes) [no]?

6. Use proxy (yes/no) [no]?

7. Allow receipt of work assignments and return of work greater then 5MB in size
      (such work units may have large memory demands) (no/yes) [no]?

Y
    8. Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]?
      Y

Advanced option menu.
    1. Core Priority (idle(low)[low]?

2. CPU usage requested (5-100) [100]?
    3. Disable high optimized assembly code (no/yes)[no]?

4. Pause if battery power is being used (useful for laptops (no/yes) [no]?

5. Interval, in minutes , between checkpoints (3-30) [15]?

6. Memory, in MB, to indicate (xxxx availbale) [xxxx]?

7. Request work units without deadlines (no/yes) [no]?

8. Set -advmethods flag always, requesting new adavanced scientific cores and/or work units if available (no/yes) [no]?

9. Ignore any dealine information (mainly useful is system clock frequently has errors (no/yes) [no]?

10. Machine ID ( 1-8 ) [1]?

Since you are using an Laptop, I thought it would be a good ide to use only 90 % of the CPU.

Now we come to the problem you initially had.
    It could be caused by memory/HDD problem, or to much system heat.

As Qeldroma mentioned, test the system memory using Memtest 86
    OBS. test number 5 (press keys: C 1 3 5 <enter> 0 ), will make the memory run very hot.
    Remember this is an laptop, without proper cooling fan etc.

Monitor the CPU heat using Central Brain Identifier
    It's located under tab Mobility->P-States.

To start the folding, just open the window and click on the 2_make.cmd file.

No need for Windows dos command anymore.
    edited September 2007
    It's been sitting for two hours now, and have completed 200000 out of 5000000.... I have done as said previously. I'll post a log for the experts to examine....
    edited September 2007
    OK, ESSO, I'll try.
    edited September 2007
    Umm, how do I create those files? (blushing)
    edited September 2007
    No problems ...

Open the window and get to c:\fah\fah1 and with the mouse select file -> new -> Text document.

Edit the file, save it and afterwards just rename the file.
    edited September 2007
    Ok, done. I don't see any change....
    edited September 2007
    Lets see how the progress will be ....

What is the CPU temp ?
    edited September 2007
    CPU1 ThrmSensor: between 64-66 degrees C
    CPU2 ThrmSensor: Between 65-67 degrees C
    edited September 2007
    Measure the CPU heat, while it is not folding.
    64-67 C is just a little bit to much.
    Try configure it with 80% CPU usage.

For what it's worth, I don't want you to break your portable computer.
    Remember that the intention to fold is good enought.
    edited September 2007
    After quitting folding I'm at round 63 degrees. I don't want to break my computer either, but I don't want to not fold..