Q6600 impulse buy

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    50'C at 1.2875V and 3.2GHz
    Under full load?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    ^ That's what my numbers are about right now, too. 50-52C on the hottest cores at full load.
    edited October 2007
    That's oustanding. I'm running at 3.1GHZ full load - 4 X Prime 95 at 56-61C. I have noticed though, that 4 X Prime 95 heats up the cores 4-6C hotter than Folding, even two instances of Win SMP.

What are you using to facilitate full load?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Under full load?

Yep, Quad Prime95 large FFTs. I'm actually up to 3.7GHz now, Prime stable. Hottest core is at 62'C and 1.45V :eek:
    edited October 2007
    That's a much better chip than the B3. I'm not done tweaking yet, but I believe the best stable, full load OC I'll get out of mine will probably be 3.3 or less. 3.0GHz is solid, 3.1 seems to be good, but some minor instability today at 3.2. I only ran one set of tweaks at 3.2 but will go back later and try some changes.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I'm running two instances of Orthos and setting affinity in task manager to test stability.

This Zalman 9700 is supposed to be a good cooler, but it just isn't cutting it. I've reseated it 3 times and tried different amounts of grease, etc.. but the fins just aren't getting hot while the CPU is loaded. I expect the cooler to be just as hot or hotter than my CPU if it is doing it's job, but it feels more like it is insulating heat. My cores will all be 55+ and the heatsink is cool to the touch.:grumble:
    edited October 2007
    mas0n wrote:
    I'm running two instances of Orthos and setting affinity in task manager to test stability.

This Zalman 9700 is supposed to be a good cooler, but it just isn't cutting it. I've reseated it 3 times and tried different amounts of grease, etc.. but the fins just aren't getting hot while the CPU is loaded. I expect the cooler to be just as hot or hotter than my CPU if it is doing it's job, but it feels more like it is insulating heat. My cores will all be 55+ and the heatsink is cool to the touch.:grumble:

To be fair, the Infinity's cool too. I just don't think it's a reflection of what's going on underneath as much as you might hope or as intuitive as that may seem. That said, I too wish it would give me a bit more heat out of the sink if it gave me a lower chip temp.
    lemonlime wrote:
    Yep, Quad Prime95 large FFTs. I'm actually up to 3.7GHz now, Prime stable. Hottest core is at 62'C and 1.45V :eek:

Holy crap, son. You know the max safe voltage for the Q66 is around 1.37V or something, right?

I'd back that off if I were you, or at least go look at Intel's chip list and look it up for yourself.

Oh, and I too noticed a temp difference between 4xPrime vs SMP folding, which made me really happy. My folding temps max out at around 50C right now, my Prime's probably up around 53-55C.
    edited October 2007
    MJancaitis wrote:
    Holy crap, son. You know the max safe voltage for the Q66 is around 1.37V or something, right?

According to Intel, the G0 is good for up to 1.5V

It is also worth noting that the Tcasemax for the G0 is 71C, where the B3 is only 62C. I've seen some confusion surrounding that on some other forums.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sspec=slacr#

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sspec=sl9um
    edited October 2007
    Hmm. Indeed, looks like I've been duped. Good to know. Looks like I'll be stress testing a tad more! ;)
    edited October 2007
    I know what you mean MJancaitis, I was worried about the vcore as well. I'm definitely not planning to run this 24/7--just wanted to see how far I can push it on air :) These thing scale very well with voltage--nothing like the A64s. If you can keep the temps in check and you've got volts to spare, use em! :D

3.7GHz failed Prime95 eventually and I increased voltage to 1.47V for stability. The temps are starting to get out of hand now--67'C on the hottest core. With chips like this, I anticipate greater overall interest in watercooling amongst enthusiasts. So tempted to get a 775 head for my vapochill.
    edited October 2007
    I increased voltage to 1.47V
    And I thought I was pushing it at 1.32!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Up to 1.5v is totally safe on air. I've been running my Core 2 Duo at 1.475v (Now at 500*7, prime-stable) for over a year now.
    edited October 2007
    Well, then, it's time to improve cooling. I do believe my B3 has some more frequency headroom. :bigggrin:
    edited October 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    And I thought I was pushing it at 1.32!

Hey, I've never been one to hold back with this type of thing :buck:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2007
    Look at the little yellow bar under lemon's username (Guru), I believe he knows what he is doing. Hell he wrote the AMD OCing guide at this site.
    edited October 2007
    lemonlime wrote:
    Hey, I've never been one to hold back with this type of thing :buck:
    Hmm, I just thought of something. The Arctic Silver needs a couple more days to cure on my Q. Maybe there will be a couple more degrees C to play with then! Right now at full load, 3GHz, the cores are 52-60.
    edited October 2007
    Bought the rest of the goods for the Q66 build last night!! :)
    edited October 2007
    Do tell! What components?
    edited October 2007
    The Abit board you originally had. You seem to have had the worst I have seen online.
    The OCZ PSU mentioned above.
    Some Crucial PC6400 DDR2 for like less than $40 AR (would be a lot cheaper if I could use Emp Discount and the rebate :) ).
    Thermalright 120-U, non-extreme with Scythe 12mm fan.
    Some cheapo PCI-E video card for like $28.

Its going into a case that has a 3/8" WC setup for a K7 system so I may leave the Rad installed and get a new CPU cooler and new 1/2" pipes. :) Already have the 1/2" Pump, a D5. I dont think I could stand taking the Rad apart from that case, it fits perfectly between the front grill and the metal casing with the fan between the metal case and the HDD cage.
    edited October 2007
    mmonnin wrote:
    Its going into a case that has a 3/8" WC setup for a K7 system so I may leave the Rad installed and get a new CPU cooler and new 1/2" pipes. :) Already have the 1/2" Pump, a D5. I dont think I could stand taking the Rad apart from that case, it fits perfectly between the front grill and the metal casing with the fan between the metal case and the HDD cage.

That Q6600 will definitely put your watercooling to good use :thumbup Wish I hadn't sold all my WC gear now.
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I'm switching to a water system today. :D
    edited October 2007
    You seem to have had the worst I have seen online.
    Oh thanks, just rub it in, will ya. :rolleyes2 . . . . . :wink:

Actually, I contemplating ordering another for the next computer to be upgraded. :bigggrin:
    edited October 2007
    Hehe I saw enough people with them that I knew it was completely bad. I did see where some people had to raise some of the chipset voltages to keep things stable and of course the double boot thing too.
    edited October 2007
    double boot thing too.
    No, that actually is not a defect. It was just a BIOS programming idiosyncrasy. The updated BIOS fixes that, except for cold boots, which are still double. Abit is not alone on that. These Asus P5WD2 boards of mine were that way with the first two BIOS releases.
    edited October 2007
    OK, I am returning home from the local shop with 1 ThermoChill PA 120.3 Radiator, 3 silent Scythe fans, a DangerDen block, and a 1200 liter/hour Swiftech pump.

If that doesn't keep this beast cool, I give up!
    edited October 2007
    Lucky. What'd it run you?

Keep us updated on the temps, of course!
    edited October 2007
    MJancaitis wrote:
    Lucky. What'd it run you?

Keep us updated on the temps, of course!

$368USD including tax. Unlike my recent unplanned upgrade, this is something I've been wanting to do for a long time.

However, I have no idea how/where I am going to mount this freaking huge radiator. Probably bolt it right on top of my case, that was the original plan...

Or hide it suspended under my desk, but that makes this a very stationary rig.

I'll let you know temps and details after I get it all set up...
    edited October 2007
    Awesome, Mason! PICS!!! :)
    edited October 2007
    My IHS is terribly uneven. 20% of it (all to one side) does not even make contact with the base of whatever cooler is on it. I'll be lapping it this weekend and post some final results when I am done.

Right now I am at 400x9=3600 @ 1.45V (as set in BIOS) more like 1.375V after vdroop. Cores are at 54-55-47-49 under full load with (two instances of Orthos) Which is a full 15C less than where I was with the Zalman 9700. I am thinking temps will drop even more once I am actually making full contact with the IHS. Idle temps are 32-33-27-29 but shoot up real quick under load due to the crappy contact.

I have 8 HDD in this case and my ambient temp is 24C, so I tend to run much hotter than most people...

Best part is that this thing is SILENT. All case fans are 12cm fans set to ~700RPM, and I can't even hear this pump now that I've got all the air out of the loop.
    edited October 2007
    Man, nice job. I'm at 47ish at 3.2 on air, I was wondering if it was really worthwhile to go to water at all. Hopefully your lapping gives you another few degrees. Good luck with it.