Q6600 impulse buy

13»

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2007
    You may just tempt me to upgrade my Swifty 650 to the 655 with the adjustable flow. The 350 was much quieter than the 650.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Q6600-005.jpg

That's as far as I can get it for now. Anything over 3.6 requires crazy voltage and the power consumption is nuts. 3.6 will be my 24/7, but it's been folding and gaming for 2 days now at 425x9. The 10C and 50W difference is not worth the 200MHz

I'd like to play with a lower multiplier, but 425 is all this DDR800 will do. We'll see though, this board has so many options, I'm just getting started.

EDIT: load temps
    425x9 : 58-63-57-60
    400x9 : 49-51-45-47

Those are after lapping it early yesterday, shaved off 3-5C, but temps are still a little too far apart for my liking.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I'd like to play with a lower multiplier
    Your Q6600 is multiplier unlocked?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    All Core 2s have 3-4 multipliers down from their stock multi.
    edited November 2007
    I have tried on two different motherboards, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 and Abit IP35-E to change the mulitplier. Neither would move it from the stock setting '9.'
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    CPUs with 9 have 9, 8, 7 and sometimes 6 available. All of them.
    edited November 2007
    Maybe I only tried to change the multiplier up before. I think what I did was just moved the multiplier up, saw that it didn't take, and assumed the Q's were multiplier locked. Next time I'm rooting around in the BIOS, I'll try stepping it down. I've still got quite a ways though before I determine the limits on the current multiplier. I'm waiting on better cooling before I continue the overclock workup.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, my 6600 is running 400x8 for 3.2GHz. I dunno how far low it really goes, but the DS4's BIOS allows me a range from 1-9 on the multi.

Nice job, Mason. I can't decide if I want to tool around anymore... the 1:1 ratio is such a nice golden number. I'll bust out the calculator and have some fun soon, though, I think.
    edited November 2007
    Sure enough. Running this B3 now at 8X375! DRAM is on a divider and is at 750MHz. BTW, this is full load. My old TT Big Typhoon is battling hard, but doesn't have much cooling potential if I don't put the fan on high (loud, no thank you).

Oh well, let's try 8 X 400!

UPDATE: Nope. Jacked up FSB voltage, vCore, and GMCH (FSB termination, I believe) but this OC would not keep Windows open for more than a few seconds at 1600FSB -- 8 X 400, DDR at default clock of 800. This is either a CPU limit or I need to lay on more voltage. I'm not willing to add more voltage until I get better CPU core cooling.
  • lsevaldlsevald Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    mas0n wrote:
    That's as far as I can get it for now. Anything over 3.6 requires crazy voltage and the power consumption is nuts. 3.6 will be my 24/7, but it's been folding and gaming for 2 days now at 425x9. The 10C and 50W difference is not worth the 200MHz

I'd like to play with a lower multiplier, but 425 is all this DDR800 will do. We'll see though, this board has so many options, I'm just getting started.

EDIT: load temps
    425x9 : 58-63-57-60
    400x9 : 49-51-45-47

Those are after lapping it early yesterday, shaved off 3-5C, but temps are still a little too far apart for my liking.

What are you using to load the cpu? I have a similar wc loop on my Q6600 G0 (PA120.3 with fans at 900-1000rpm, MCP655, bowed Apogee GTX, AS5, room temp ~22°C). MB is a GA P35-DQ6, I'm only at 1.47Vcore, but MB seems to have issues with higher than 435FSB, 4x1GB RAM and quad core (BSOD's at odd times).

Prime95 SmallFFT:
    edited November 2007
    Been using two instances of Orthos, I've never seen anything cause more heat!
    edited November 2007
    lsevald wrote:
    I have a similar wc loop on my Q6600 G0 (PA120.3 with fans at 900-1000rpm, MCP655, bowed Apogee GTX, AS5, room temp ~22°C). MB is a GA P35-DQ6, I'm only at 1.47Vcore

Any idea how much air those fans are moving at that speed? I like the silence of the Scythe S-FDB fans, but I know something just a bit louder would keep me much cooler, been thinking about swapping them out.

Are your fans set to push or pull? Also, I was thinking about exchanging this TDX for the Apogee GT at my local shop, have any opinion on that?
    edited November 2007
    Ok, I will try 2xOrthos and the same Vcore as you. Just curious since we have fairly similar cooling setups :) As for temp variance between the cores, it seems to be very common. I have a Q6600 B3 that has 5°C higher Core1&2 temps. I have tried lapping it, tried different coolers and thermal compound, no difference. But I run Prime95 v25.x SmallFFT as it seems to load the cores more equal temp wise.
    edited November 2007
    mas0n wrote:
    Any idea how much air those fans are moving at that speed? I like the silence of the Scythe S-FDB fans, but I know something just a bit louder would keep me much cooler, been thinking about swapping them out.

Are your fans set to push or pull? Also, I was thinking about exchanging this TDX for the Apogee GT at my local shop, have any opinion on that?

I have no idea. I'm running Papst 4412F2GL (1600rpm 94m3/h, but slowed down with a fan controller). I have tried other fans too, but with only a Q6600 in the loop, it doesn't seem to matter much ( 1°C?). I'm running pull w/shroud (sound issues, I don't like having the fans close to front of the case), but push is recommended by ThermoChill I believe.

I like the Apogee GTX better because the top doesn't flex like the GT (when hard mounted; no springs) when using a bowed base. If you don't want the GTX Alu top in your loop, get the optional GTX copper top, or the D-Tek Fusion as it seems to perform on par with the GTX, or even slightly better with the optional nozzle kit (I haven't tried the D-Tek myself though, but I have one on the way).
    edited November 2007
    A quick test at 3825MHz, 1.52ish Vcore and Orthos. Room temp is ~21°C. I'm not sure if I run Orthos properly, as temps seems lower (3-5°C) than Prime95 SmallFFT.
    edited November 2007
    And Prime95 SmallFFT temps (+6°C difference):
    edited November 2007
    As long as you are setting CPU affinity manually in Task Manager, you are running it correctly. By default, Orthos will run a blend, but can be set to run Small FFT. Temps should really be close to the same as SmallFFT in Prime95; they are doing the same thing.

I know ThermoChill recommends a push config, but I think I had a pull config that was working better than this (I was originally on pull, but then changed it after some recommendations) I can't remember tho, I'll have to try it again, that was days ago and I've tested 100+ variations of fans/rad location/vCore/etc...

I'm also going to test different TIM tonight. Ceramique vs. AS5 vs. Zalman Thermal Grease, we'll see if it even makes a difference. Right now I am using what is probably too much Ceramique since the base and IHS are both perfectly flat. I may also throw a plastic washer between the backplate and board or come up with some better way to increase mounting pressure.
    edited November 2007
    True. I used affinity in taskman, but I kept getting some affinity warnings in Orthos, so I wasn't sure it was running correctly (and the low temps seemed to support that).

I don't think it matters much if you run pull or push. If you only got the CPU block in the loop, the PA120.3 is overkill. It should last a long time, certainly the best cooling investment I have made in a long time :)

The CPU block and TIM is the bottleneck for sure. I used the first Apogee (bigger fins and flat base compared to the GT) on my first kentsfield, and going from that to a hard mounted, bowed GT lowered temps by ~6°C (a lapped QX6700 B3 at 3.6GHz and 1.5Vcore). So with the GTX, I'm at my third wc block on quads (soon to be fourth when the Fusion arrives).