8800GT & ThermalTake DuOrb

mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
edited July 2010 in Hardware
Today was a good day. I changed out my 8800GTS 320MB for an 8800GT. I really just cannot understand why this card is only $250 except maybe just as a slap in the face for ATI. It's only negative aspect is it's stock single slot cooler which was allowing my card to hit 80C under load at stock speeds and was freezing up at 90C with the core bumped to 700MHz (stock is 600MHz).

So I threw a ThermalTake DuOrb on this beast:

Stock cooler @ stock speeds:
Idle: 59C
Load: 80C

Stock cooler with core @ 700MHz:
Idle: 61C
Load: 90C

DuOrb cooler @ stock speeds:
Idle: 40C
Load: 52C

DuOrb cooler with core @ 771MHz:
Idle: 43C
Load 58C

My 8800GTS 320MB ran 24/7 @ 648/999 and scored ~11,700 in 3DMark06 with the Q6600 @ 3.6GHz (400x9). Here are the results with the 8800GT @ 771/999:
8800GT.jpg

AMD/ATI is in for some serious trouble if the 3850 or whatever they are calling it is anything short of jaw dropping.

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2007
    Man, those 8800GTs are awesome cards. I really wish I waited a bit longer. I got a 8800GTS 640 only two months ago and this card is outperforming it at $100 less. Madness I tell you! :)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    GTS < GT?

Naming conventions confuse me. :(
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Old GTS < GT < New GTS.
    edited November 2007
    Doh. Which one do I have? Hahah.

(BFG GeForce 8800GTS 320MB)
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited November 2007
    Old GTS are bought on or before December 11th, 2007. New GTS bought after December 11th, 2007. I think the new GTS will launch with the 9 series which is why I'm throwing it in with that date.
    edited November 2007
    To add to the confusion, there is also an 'SSC' edition GTS edition card with 112 SPs instead of 96. It outperforms the GT in some cases but not all. I believe there will be another refresh of the GTS coming soon.
    edited November 2007
    I've only seen the SSC on the GT's.
    edited November 2007
    I've only seen the SSC on the GT's.

Here is the first review I've seen.. for an EVGA GTS..

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/3173-evga-8800gts-640mb-w-112sps-ssc-edition-review.html
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Did you see and hear about the new 8800GTs? it will own the current 8800Ultras for the same low price of the current GT's :) Nvidia is doing some weird crap... but I have to admit I like getting sweet performing GPU's for cheap.
  • edited November 2007
    How loud is the DuOrb mas0n?
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited December 2007
    How heavy is that beast?
    edited December 2007
    I'll be buying a new video card in January. I want the most bang for my buck so I want to know what you guys reccomend. I'm liking the HD 3850 512MB version from Sapphire.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    How loud is the DuOrb mas0n?

@ 100% It is barely audible over a water cooled system. I rigged it through a 4 -> 3 pin adapter and cut it down to 70% which is absolutely silent and still chilly.
    Nightwolf wrote:
    How heavy is that beast?

324g to be exact, heavier than the stock single slot cooler, lighter than the stock 2 slot cooler on the GTS.
    edited December 2007
    I'll be buying a new video card in January. I want the most bang for my buck so I want to know what you guys reccomend. I'm liking the HD 3850 512MB version from Sapphire.

8800gt
    edited December 2007
    What kind of price point am I looking at for 512mb?
    edited December 2007
    What kind of price point am I looking at for 512mb?

Between $260 and $325 depending on clock speeds. I picked up a BFG card for $279 on special at Fry's and it hits higher clocks than most of the others I have seen.
    edited December 2007
    That's a little more than I care to spend right now, which was why I was looking at the 3850 512mb. It's 200 flat at newegg. But that's not too bad I guess..
    edited December 2007
    I'd spend the extra and get the 8800gt, just get the non factory overclock one. Should run you like $260 flat for the PNY or $270 for the EVGA. They overlock well from what I've seen so its not worth it to get a factory overlocked version.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Between $260 and $325 depending on clock speeds.
    ..or $195 - $220 if you wait another three months. At that time nVidia will launch the 8852 GTS SSI BMC GOTS X25 OC Limited Edition TM Amen Brother, pushing prices down on 'lesser' cards.

CPU overclocking is bad enough ($). Sure am glad I'm not a gamer. Whew, that would get expensive!
    edited December 2007
    I don't think my 1900 will last that long..It's doing good to not bake it's cookies now. It might make it to the end of January if I'm lucky.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    This is probably obvious, and I'm sure you've already performed the task, but gotta ask: did you replace the thermal compound on the GPU with something quality?
    edited December 2007
    This week I had the oppurtunity to try out a BFG 8800GTS 512MB. With both cards @ 625/1000 the GTS only beats the GT by ~350 points in 3DMark06 which is pretty much irrelevant in-game. It only takes a 20MHz bump on the core of the GT to catch up so the two are dead even. The GTS I got to play with would hit a max core of 725 before artifacting while my GT hits 771 and proceeds to blow the GTS away in 3DMark and is noticably faster in-game.

Yup.
    edited December 2007
    Is this the new GT vs the new GTS, or some combination of new and old?
    edited December 2007
    MJancaitis wrote:
    Is this the new GT vs the new GTS, or some combination of new and old?

This is the new 512MB GT vs. the new 512MB GTS
  • edited January 2008
    i have seen some benckmarks and the 8800GT the new 8800GTS and the 8800GTX all perform in the same range... with the new GTS and GTX ahead and the GT just on its heels with a average of 5 fps below them so i just got the cheaper GT and oc'ed it
    edited January 2008
    Oh yeah? Think that thing would take the 91C out of my 3850?
    edited January 2008
    Oh yeah? Think that thing would take the 91C out of my 3850?

I would think so. My understanding is that RV670 runs a bit cooler than G92, so yeah.

As a side note, recently while doing some cable rerouting I forgot to plug the DuOrb's fan back in before I but the side panel back on (uh huh). I proceeded to use the PC for a few days as usual, gaming, etc and the DuOrb cooled my OC'd GT passively. I don't know exactly what she was getting to under load, but since my card chokes and vomits at around ~92C it obviously was beneath that threshold. :rockon:
    edited January 2008
    Wow, nice! Makes me want to pick up one of the new GTs or GTSs and throw one of these on there.
    edited January 2008
    Ok, another question about the DuOrb. Does it come with ramsinks, or am I on my own for those?

And my 1900 was failing due to Sapphire not making a quality card that'll last for more than a year. Yet I bought another one.
    edited January 2008
    Ok, another question about the DuOrb. Does it come with ramsinks, or am I on my own for those?

plenty

1008.jpg