"Attempting to get work packet"

Comments

• SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited December 2007
    you can't run SMP as a service with out hacking the registry and startup menu IIRC someone had got it to run but that info is lost with the FCF.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited December 2007
    Yeap, run it just like the normal console client you had setup earlier... with IE set to NO, Big WU set to YES, and also service set to NO. Let me check if the servers are fine. Usually a 0.0.0.0 means the server is down or something.

EDIT: all servers are fine. Check if you set the BIG WU setting to YES, else it will not download anything since all SMP WUs are big units (bonuses WUs).
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2007
    Also, if there is a way to hook up to the net via a wire, do so- or at least make sure that your signal strength is strong. The SMP client is sensitive to network drop-outs and tends to stall when it happens and wireless can be prone to this.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    you can't run SMP as a service with out hacking the registry and startup menu IIRC someone had got it to run but that info is lost with the FCF.
    I've got SMP running in Vista as a service. Not totally stable but it IS running.
    edited December 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    I've got SMP running in Vista as a service. Not totally stable but it IS running.
    Yep i know it will work it is the not totally stable bit I don't like.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Agreed... but SMP doesn't seem to be very stable anyway. I have it on two systems buy only one of them is running as a service. The other is running the normal console.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Getting really hacked off now >.> Inputted all the settings as I was meant to, and it STILL is trying to connect to 0.0.0.0
    edited December 2007
    Wahay... Finally got the damn thing working :P
    edited December 2007
    Bah, both SMPs are giving me:
    [21:36:20] Trying to unzip core FahCore_a1.exe
    [21:36:20] Decompressed FahCore_a1.exe (2035712 bytes) successfully
    [21:36:20] + Core successfully engaged
    [21:36:25]
    [21:36:25] + Processing work unit
    [21:36:25] Core required: FahCore_a1.exe
    [21:36:25] Core found.
    [21:36:25] Working on Unit 01 [December 4 21:36:25]
    [21:36:25] + Working ...
    [21:36:34] CoreStatus = 63 (99)
    [21:36:34] + Error starting Folding@Home core.

EDIT: I found out how to fix it, but now how >.> It wants me to run as admin. Fine. Then it asks me for a password. Not good. There is no password and it won't allow passwords set to blank.
    edited December 2007
    you have to install to a passworded account MPI.exe needs a PW also make sure you have .net framework 2 installed
    edited December 2007
    Argh, I hate having to enter a password every time I reboot- Lazy yes, but hey it works for me :P
    edited December 2007
    Screw it, deleted F@H
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited December 2007
    the client can run on a new passworded account, as long as it is in the Administrators group, so that you dont need to use yours.
    edited December 2007
    Hmm, okay. Seems like alot of fuss for a plug and play, or rather pray application T_T
    edited December 2007
    I tried again, I made a GODDAMN new user account to get this god forsaken pile of crap to work, it WON'T work, EVERYTHING I do I STILL GET THE SAME MESSAGE. This is SO goddamn irritating. I've spent about THREE hours trying to get an automatic application to work. I have the .net framework, I've run it as admin on another account. Screw it.
    edited December 2007
    Harudath wrote:
    Hmm, okay. Seems like alot of fuss for a plug and play, or rather pray application T_T
    i posted similar at the FCF and was challenged to rewrite the MPi.exe program as it is open source i declined gracefully:bigggrin:
    edited December 2007
    Harudath wrote:
    Screw it, deleted F@H

I kinda thought we'd get here with someone. I did too temporarily, but finally got it right and now all my rigs that can do an SMP are running it- and I've almost not had a problem. However, I still have issues with it- and I still don't care for giving it my Admin password. Yes, SMPs are more work and maintenance but the trade-off is that they "pay" more.

No matter how this turns out- thanks for giving SMP a try, Harudath. The 5.04 (or 6.0 Beta 1 I think) console clients are a lot more ironed out and "hands-off" and you can install them as a service without repercussion. Because you have a dual-core processor, you can also run a second instance, but remember two things: 1. Download and install the 2nd instance of FAH into its own directory (NOT the same one as your 1st instance), and 2. Go into the advanced options and set it's Machine ID to 2 (or any number OTHER than the one you entered for the first instance). A third thing is that they can "pay" only about 1/4-1/3 the points as an SMP ... but it's still Work Units (WUs) for the Project as opposed to NO WUs

I will also leave you with this thought: There are MANY advantages of having a passworded account that have nothing to do with Folding- actually 2 such accounts in my case- generally for privacy and security. I have a lot of traffic in my house and my PC is used by many. It's saved my butt a couple of times.
    edited December 2007
    If I click run as current user, it tells me to use admit, which it didn't before. If I run it as an administrator ot doesn't WORK. Even one instance of it at once, won't DO ANYTHING. I am UNBELIEVABLY angry at the hassle this has caused. You try to do the right thing and it blows up in your face, bloody typical. There's a competetive side to it too, which I thought I might have enjoyed, but no. All it caused was stress, long google searches and a broken keyboard.
    edited December 2007
    Stopped using the SMP, just used the regular 5.04, running two at once. Sorry for rant, when stuff like this happens I get really annoyed.
    edited December 2007
    where in the Uk are you harudath ?? might be able to get help to you
    edited December 2007
    OK- take a deep breath and laugh. Check your FAH log and make sure it's running something.

Thanks-
    edited December 2007
    [23:54:35] Writing local files
    [23:54:37] Extra SSE boost OK.
    [23:54:37] Writing local files
    [23:54:41] Completed 0 out of 250000 steps (0)

And thanks for the offer, but I'm still only 16 >.> So I'm restricted by parents as to who I meet irl from the internet (currently restricted to nobody >.>)
    edited December 2007
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    where in the Uk are you harudath ?? might be able to get help to you

That's also a very generous offer by one of the best I know in Foldingdom.
    edited December 2007
    Harudath wrote:
    And thanks for the offer, but I'm still only 16 >.> So I'm restricted by parents as to who I meet irl from the internet (currently restricted to nobody >.>)

Ah! Got it- Still- thanks BOTH of you.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2007
    Give the Administrator account a password. Auto-login into another account. End of story. Thats the best way I have figured out how to not have to log in.
    edited December 2007
    Harudath wrote:
    [23:54:35]
    fair enough probably have similar rules if i had kids.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    For XP users, you do not have to login every time. Just set Windows to automatically log you when the computer boots.

Go to Run
    Type in “control userpasswords2” (no quotation marks)
    Set accounts to login automatically
    edited December 2007
    Thanks leo, I'll try that when I get home. At school at the moment >.> I'll give the SMP one more try, then I'll stick with the regular console.
    edited December 2007
    Okay, I tried again, for the good of Team 93 and the cause etc :P

Still doesn't work >.>
    I have 2 user accounts:
    Harudath (no password)
    F@H Admin (Passworded)

I logged on F@H Admin, find the SMP install thing, run as... F@H Admin, put in password, Click Okay:

"Logon Failure: Unknown username or bad password"

F@H Admin has got administrator rights and everything... what's wrong now? :(
    edited December 2007
    it might just might be the use of the @ in the user name some characters are disallowed.