Best Beginners Class In World Of Warcraft?

ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Gaming
When it comes to these types of games I am most familiar with being the DM of a D&D/AD&D/AD&DSecondEd. ,,,, writing the stories/adventures and playing NPC characters with various strengths and weakness to add to the gameplay. How do I take this knowledge and transform it to viable weaponry in the mastering of this vast new quagmire of fun I have discovered called World of Warcraft.
I want to start with a Mage(I'm so use to Magic(K)-User!!!!!! sheesh), but I do not want to end up some wild boar feast on my first outing!

Any advice for choosing a class to kick a$$ with(in time/exp points+of course)
, that will not regulate me to slash and stash type of RPG game play?

Mage
Warlock
Priest
Rogue
...are the classes I have been most investigating. Damn those mages start like limp noodles for Raistlins sake?!?

:jared:

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I prefer the Hunter. A bit of a tank when used with it's pet.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Hunters are the easiest class to play, bar none. Because of that, there are millions of them (Yes, millions). If you stick with the game to its advanced stages, you will find yourself in low demand.

If you're willing to heal, and play a Druid or Paladin, you will always be in demand. Warriors willing to tank are of moderate demand. Well-equipped mages who prefer to deal with fire are of moderate demand, while Warlocks are low.

Shadow Priest and Rogue are virtually never desired in the advanced stages (Because there are too many).
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I actually just started playing WOW again (in fact I'm playing right now). Previously I had a hunter because I generally play archers in games but I got bored with that. This time I'm doing a frost mage and I have to say while the mage may start out weak as water they can be built up to do some great damage.

I would say start out with whatever sounds most interesting to you. I might also suggest trying a few of the classes because sometimes you'll think a class is what you want but then find out its not.

p.s. what server are you on?
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited January 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Hunters are the easiest class to play, bar none. Because of that, there are millions of them (Yes, millions). If you stick with the game to its advanced stages, you will find yourself in low demand.

If you're willing to heal, and play a Druid or Paladin, you will always be in demand. Warriors willing to tank are of moderate demand. Well-equipped mages who prefer to deal with fire are of moderate demand, while Warlocks are low.

Shadow Priest and Rogue are virtually never desired in the advanced stages (Because there are too many).

On my server it's usually harder to find a decent tank than a healer.

Anyway, for a first class, hunter will definitely be the easiest to play but for a first character that won't suck later on I'd probably recommend a mage.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    jj6400 wrote:
    p.s. what server are you on?

None, as of yet. I am doing what I usually do; over-researching the subject
    picking away at the manual. Etc..
    edited January 2008
    TheGr81 wrote:
    but for a first character that won't suck later on I'd probably recommend a mage.

That is what I have been thinking. Something similar to a magic-user of chaotic good alignment in a long running D&D campaign.
    edited January 2008
    TheGr81 wrote:
    On my server it's usually harder to find a decent tank than a healer.

Exactly, because healers are in high demand, they're mostly taken. Tanks are moderately desired, so it's easier to find them.
    edited January 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Exactly, because healers are in high demand, they're mostly taken. Tanks are moderately desired, so it's easier to find them.

And your opinion of the likely hood of taking a Mage to mythical levels:bigggrin::tongue:?

....at first go of the WoW challenge!:buck:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Bye thelemech. It was nice knowing you :)

Love,

Brian
    edited January 2008
    I think I'm the only person who hasn't /quit everything because of WoW. :| Lordy.
    edited January 2008
    Bye thelemech. It was nice knowing you :)

Love,

Brian

....are you asking me to leave Prime? :wink:some sort of subtle hint hint hint hi?:confused:

:dunce:....or do I have no idea what I am in for...:bigggrin:

;D
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Uhh...its late, you are stressed, maybe you shouldn't post anymore tonight..or maybe I shouldn't? :confused::crazy:

He said its harder to find a tank, than a healer...meaning a tank is more in demand than the healers..on his server :)

:p:p:p
    edited January 2008
    I think we both shouldn't. :[ I HATE MY LIFE.
    edited January 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    I think we both shouldn't. :[ I HATE MY LIFE.

:confused::sad2:

:nudge:...you alright? (obviously not)

:-/... well like I told ya before Thrax.. ..

we love ya :wink:

:bucket:

edit:/ ...and remember you love you to :)
    edited January 2008
    Thelemech wrote:
    I have no idea what I am in for...

quoted for truth :p
    edited January 2008
    I have been WoW-Free for 3 months. I still get twitches and long for my Warlock.... but I can remain pure and focused.... :crazy:
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    I think I'm the only person who hasn't /quit everything because of WoW. :| Lordy.

Well you're almost wrong...I could spend more time in IRC or playing TF2, but it's not like I dropped off the planet!

Anyway, easiest to start is hunter as you've heard. Next would probably be mage, as you've heard. A shaman would probably be a fun starting character and you can respec it for either DPS or healing (resto shammies are worth their weight in gold on my server, chain heal FTW).

To piggyback with what Thrax said, if you want to be useful to people in the endgame, play a healer. For the love of whatever do NOT try to level a healer-specced class on your own. I know the only way I made it to 70 as a holy pally was because I played every session with 3 other people. If I can't play with others now, I just don't play. IMO the game in general is miserable by yourself as a healer.
    edited January 2008
    I picked hunter and Warlock since they can solo for quite a bit of the game. Also, none of my toons are over lvl 45. :(
    edited January 2008
    What does "DPS" mean?
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    "damage per second" It implies that your class is meant purely for damage, no tanking (taking all the hits) or healing.
    edited January 2008
    Damage Per Second...

Sword "XYZ" way do 24-48 points per hit but it's so slow of a weapon it can only be used every 3 seconds. DPS of 8-16.

Dagger that can do 10-18 points per hit every second is actually a better DPS.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited January 2008
    Thelemech wrote:
    but I do not want to end up some wild boar feast on my first outing!

WoW is so freaking easy (especially at the beginning) that you should just choose whatever class you want to and go with it, not having to worry about ending up a wild boar feast. The suggestions about being a healer, tank, or fire mage are good ones though.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I have no problem finding a tank....possibly because my warrior is one (when I am not PvPing). Healers are always a problem but you can mitigate this by playing a Paladin. Depending on Spec you can Heal, Tank or DPS (our guild has a Paladin who can throw out some EVIL DPS because of his gear).

All these builds are really gear dependant and you will get second choice of gear if you are "off spec" on drops, i.e. Your heal spec and your with a warrior who is tank spec, they should get first call on the armor that drops.
    edited January 2008
    Thrax wrote:

Meh, probably not. I haven't quite given up everything (heck because I've only played on semester breaks I haven't actually given up anything).
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited January 2008
    One thing you should consider in choosing your class is the role your class will fill in a group. WOW classes typically fall into four catergories: tanks, healers, DPS, and hybrids. The normal array of roles you find in this sort of game.

If your idea of a good time is controlling the flow of battle and keeping the attention of the bad guys then a tank is a good idea. Healers are a blast if you like being the person in the back keeping the tank and rest of the party alive. DPS obviously gets their kicks from dealing as much damage as possible (without pulling aggro if they're good at it) to whatever they encounter.

The best piece of advice I can give is that if you want to go with a DPS class, such as the mage you mentioned, make sure you pick a pure DPS class. Otherwise you may be pigeon holed into a role you might not enjoy. For example, a well geared warrior can do nice amounts of damage when played right. If you plan to do any non-PvP related content; however, groups will typically expect you to fill a tanking role. If you are not interested in tanking then a warrior probably isn't your best bet.

The pure DPS classes that fill no other role than DPS are Hunter, Mage, Rogue, and Warlock. Any other class can fill multiple roles. With that said it is possible to play one of the other classes as a DPS class. If you find the right guild you will be able to play your class the way you have the most fun with. In the right guild a warrior could be used soley as DPS without ever having to tank.

Anyhow I hope that little bit of information helps.

Norge
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I am so close to downloading the WoW trial. Thank God for TF2.
    edited January 2008
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I am so close to downloading the WoW trial. Thank God for TF2.

JOIN US!!!!11!1!!!!! :)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I will not ask for a trial, I will not download client, I will grab a beer and load TF2....

"damnit damnit damnit" ~TF2 Engineer
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for all the info and advice! It is being digested/analyzed/scrutinized as I am writing this. I believe I am going to start as a fire mage. How does the name Athmon Seer sound:cool:.....???

Anyway thanks again; and feel free to leave any other advice/criticism.

This is going to be a blast, but I assure ye Prime I am still a Icronticaholic:tongue:
    edited January 2008
    Can only have forenames in WoW. Surnames are somewhere in the middle of the lower half of the Great Invisible To-Do List at Blizzard HQ.