Goin' quad

WinfreyWinfrey waddafuhMissouri Icrontian
edited February 2008 in Hardware
So about a year and a half with that POS Asus mobo (m2n32-sli deluxe) I've had uncounted headaches with this mobo, with random restarts, BSOD's and having no luck with any fixes mentioned ANYWHERE. I have finally had enough, and have some moneys.

So i'm looking at getting the DFI Blood Iron w/ the intel Q6600 and prolly another harddrive for good measure. If anyone has any thoughts on if I should get a different mobo, or if there is a proc out there that is worth the extra dough then feel free to help me out. Or good deals on said parts:bigggrin:

My spec's w/ out current mobo and proc.

Geforce 7950 GX2 512mb
2 sticks of corsair XMS RAM for a total of 2 gb of RAM
3 WD SATA2 250GB HDD
and a floppy drive and DVD burner.

Thanks for any advice. I plan on buying within next few days.

Comments

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    well seeing no suggestions I will place my order and get things crackin'

I'll just use this thread to keep track of benchmarking and some OC stats:bigggrin:
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    FWIW, I've got a Q6600 running on a Gigabyte P35-DQ6 with some OCZ Reaper 1066 and haven't had a problem (except for some ram dieing on my but that's common). Haven't OC'ed since I'm still using the stock cooler. Loaded TF2 like a charm (with a 7800GT) before one of the sticks of ram died.
    edited January 2008
    thanks blackhawk but you were like 2
    Loaded TF2 like a charm
    It's good to know what I have to look forward to though
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I am sure that Quad 6600 will be able to handle pretty much anything you throw at it. I have been reading a lot of reviews and what members here have been saying about it and it appears by almost all to be the processor to buy at the moment. Also supposed to be a good/great overclocker.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    After looking at Leo's folding results, I couldn't possibly say that a Q6600 isn't worth it :P
    edited January 2008
    FreeC8675 wrote:
    thanks blackhawk but you were like 2

wtf was i saying there?:confused:
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I was wondering, but figured I missed some inside joke.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I've been running my Q6600 on an MSI P6N Diamond and it's great, especially with a pair of factory OC'ed 8800GT 512s! I haven't OC'ed the CPU, but it's really fast right now!
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Q6600 on an X38-DQ6 at 3.6GHz. 'Tis a screamer, and I love it. :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Also supposed to be a good/great overclocker.
    Hmm, I guess you could say that. :wink: Look at systems 1, 4, and 5 in my signature. The slowest one is at 3.3GHz. It's a B3 stepping, but still, 900MHz OC. I don't even have top of the line cooling. Two of the motherboards are sub-$100 Abit IP35-E.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Leo's just the Quad-God
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I want four cores! I only have two, fail. :(
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I've been reading a lot of reviews and it appears that accross the boards people complain about 1066 ram dying. What gives?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Retards putting too much voltage through the ICs.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I want four cores! I only have two, fail.
    If you aren't a rabid Folding@Home participant like me, a Core 2 Duo will usually accomplish your what you need doing just as well as a Core 2 Quad. Four cores aren't really superior to two cores under ordinary PC computer use.
    edited January 2008
    I just want four cores to have four cores, and hence be amazing.
    edited January 2008
    and hence be amazing.

That's why I got that third copy of HeroQuest... It's been ten years... I'm still waiting for the amazing. :/
    edited January 2008
    See, I'm already fantastic, I figure I just need a little push to get through to Amazing.

What are you a professor of?
    edited January 2008
    What are you a professor of?

English and CS :)
    edited January 2008
    Oh, I'm an english major!

You should explain critical theory to me, cuz that class is making my head hurt big time.
    edited January 2008
    That's a tall order to take care of in one hijacked thread. :P

But the most important point to take away from your class is that a critique, whether social or literary, serves no purpose unless it either causes improvement within the arena or shows others the value of the specific work, event, or circumstance. Critique for critique sake is non-constructive, and should therefore be avoided, as a critic or an audience.

Beyond that, the concepts presented in your course will vary widely depending upon your instructor and their background (especially whether they approach form a mostly sociological or literary point of view). :)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    CB Droege wrote:
    English and CS :)

They teach Counter Strike? God knows they need to learn some proper english.

;D
    edited January 2008
    CB Droege wrote:

:topic::honoes:
    edited January 2008
    Wait, do you guys actually make an effort to stay on topic here?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    On occasion. Sometimes... Maybe.
    edited January 2008
    JUST IN MY THREAD!:rarr:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    CB Droege wrote:

But the most important point to take away from your class is that a critique, whether social or literary, serves no purpose unless it either causes improvement within the arena or shows others the value of the specific work, event, or circumstance. Critique for critique sake is non-constructive, and should therefore be avoided, as a critic or an audience.

Beyond that, the concepts presented in your course will vary widely depending upon your instructor and their background (especially whether they approach form a mostly sociological or literary point of view). :)

My critique: I give this post 3/10. Fail.
    edited January 2008
    I give your FACE a fail!!

As far as staying on topic, you guys really shouldn't have invited me to Icrontic if you wanted to stay on topic. Ever.
    edited January 2008

ahh! we're back on topic now:tongue:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008

As far as staying on topic, you guys really shouldn't have invited me to Icrontic if you wanted to stay on topic. Ever.

I believe what the author is trying to do here is illustrate the point she made earlier about the topic of topics. And staying on them. Her personalization of the post - using the "guilt" tactic to goad the reader into a sense of ownership of the author's own failings - is quite poignant and telling. It seems as if the author is trying to project her own sense of missing self-control onto a larger community in order to obfuscate her real problem - lack of focus.

2/5 stars.