Goin' quad

2»

Comments

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    .............No. While your efforts to come across as an ostentatious asshat were accomplished, your exertions to vilify the previous poster only serve to make you look like a pompous buffoon. Your argument is without logic or point, especially considering all of the points you made the author made herself.

Next time, I do hope that you make a real effort.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Weak rebuttal. Not going to bother with a return volley. D+
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    LIES! I'm the future teacher here not you, and you get a F!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Quad Core!!!!!!

This is what I have to say to that!

Octuple x Deca Core Own's For Life! (think about it real hard)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Also known as 80 cores. I THOUGHTS ABVOUTED IT RURL HARD.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I believe what the author is trying to do here is illustrate the point she made earlier about the topic of topics. And staying on them. Her personalization of the post - using the "guilt" tactic to goad the reader into a sense of ownership of the author's own failings - is quite poignant and telling. It seems as if the author is trying to project her own sense of missing self-control onto a larger community in order to obfuscate her real problem - lack of focus.
    Psychobabble. Score: 1/5
    edited January 2008
    Quad core, wasn't it?

Did we answer your question?
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Winfrey you better start folding on that beast you're about to unleash! I've been holding your scores up for too long, lol.

p.s.
    I hate you and your having of the money to get a quad core :( :cough:lucky bastard:cough::COUGH:
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    jj6400 wrote:
    Winfrey you better start folding on that beast you're about to unleash! I've been holding your scores up for too long, lol.

p.s.
    I hate you and your having of the money to get a quad core :( :cough:lucky bastard:cough::COUGH:

ya I know, I've felt pretty bad about that. Hopefully I can get some internet for this beast and we can bulldoze our way to the top100 :cool:
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited January 2008
    Hey FreeC8675... Did you order a new board yet? I ordered a DFI Blood Iron P35-T2RL on Monday, but it hasn't been shipped yet. I was hoping to have it Friday.. bleh. It's replacing a Asus P5B-Deluxe (I'm detecting a pattern here) and I won't get another Asus product until the QC and Support improve. If you get the Blood Iron, it will run a Q6600 but you won't be able to overclock it to its max potential (This is what I've read) There's a lot of Vdrop. It's a great board for overclocking Dual-Cores so it should max out my E6600 which is currently running at 3.17. I also ordered a rounded 18' FDD cable because the Floppy connector on the motherboard is at the bottom under the last PCI slot. The NB has a temp sensor and it gets hot with overclocking (Really!?) but it also has a sticker prohibiting aftermarket cooling on the NB. I plan on just taking the mini-kaze off the Asus NB and either hotgluing it or twist-tying it to the DFI NB. I was originally going to get a Abit IP35-Pro but I read that it had issues with corrupting data on WD SE16 and Raptor HDDs, so I nixed it.

There's a great B.I. enthusiasts forum at http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/251387-dfi-blood-iron-thread.html and if you are getting this board, I recommend you read the whole thing.

This forum also has some good info: http://csd.dficlub.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49
    edited January 2008
    Well DogSoldier it should be at my front door today! Yeah its a bummer about some of these Asus boards just being plain shoddy. I hadn't heard anything about the Blood Iron to make me think it was a poor OC'er but if I can get my quad to over 3ghz then I will probably be happy. After 1 and a half years of really spotty performance I guess I am more easily satisfied. Hell right now I just want something so that I won't have to worry about locking up when doing...ANYTHING! Especially folding though.

Wow that thread was freakin' huge! I don't know if I'm gonna get through it all lol!

Anyways thanks for the info. I should be heading over to a friends house tonight so that I can use his broadband to get everything loaded up to latest everything. So I should be able to post at least preliminary benchmarks before I start to OC stuff. :thumbsup:
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    INTERPLANETARY GAZELLES. My two pence.
    edited January 2008
    if I can get my quad to over 3ghz then I will probably be happy
    You will be happy. :wink:

3.0GHz with one eye closed, 3.2Ghz after a good stretch and a cup of coffee, 3.5-3.6 higher end overclock on air. Normal overclocking expectations for a G0 stepping Q6600.

The above assumes a well ventilated computer case, competent PSU, upper end CPU HSF, and motherboard made for overclocking. Up to overclocks to 3.2 are not uncommon with the stock OEM heatsink. For overclocks at or near 3.5GHz, you may need active northbridge cooling. You don't need to buy an expensive northbridge cooler. I never do. Just mount a small fan on the NB heatsink.

FreeC, don't wait until your kit arrives to learn the principles and procedures for overclocking. Start reading and asking questions now.
    edited January 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    FreeC, don't wait until your kit arrives to learn the principles and procedures for overclocking. Start reading and asking questions now.

Yes sir!:D

Working on getting through those threads/forums linked by DogSoldier right now, nothing better to do since it hasn't been delivered yet.
    edited February 2008
    It's been a few days so I'll give an update on how my rig is doing.

So far I am impressed with my quad, even at stock speeds, it doesn't really slow down.

However I ran 3Dmark 06 and got a puzzling result. My computer scored a paltry 7,926 3Dmarks. I am curious if there is a more recent version of 3dmark that better accounts for my quad core. Right now my score is almost identical to what my FX-62 pulled off.

Also is there software in general (driver?) that needs to be downloaded to have my quad fully utilized. There was something like that for my FX-62 so I wasn't sure.

Unfortunately I didn't have much time at my friends house on his broadband so I wasn't able to get Windows updates past SP2. All that I was able to accomplish was the latest nVidia drivers and the latest BIOS, so I'm gonna wait until I get my baseline set as far as software is concerned before I start OC'ing. I figure that there isn't too much rush especially since having a stable system now is like getting removed from an Intensive Care Unit.

In the meantime I'll look at cpu heatsink deals and contemplate my next investment.

BTW: Supreme Commander loads in like half the time now ;)
    edited February 2008
    The majority of the 3DMark06 score is from the video card. Although the CPU is tested, the overall score reflects the graphics processing unit more than any other component. Unless a game or gaming benchmark is designed for multithreading, that application will primarily just draw on one core of a multi-core CPU. Dual core and quad core CPUs excel the most when running multi-threaded applications or under heaving multi-tasking.
    edited February 2008
    ya, I know. I was just curious if there was a later version of 3DMark 06 that better benched a Quad core processor. Mine is about 2 years old now so I assume its been updated since then. And I'm gonna assume that intel doesn't need/have a driver or software to make their quad work better. AMD had a Dual Core optimizer which some games required in order to work correctly.

Any other Benchmarks that I should try out?

Hopefully by this weekend I'll have all my diagnostic software downloaded and I can start OC'ing.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Yeh, I'm shooting for 3.4Ghz on my Q6600. That way I can keep my spot in the top100. You all better watch out. I'm fixing to unleash a beast
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited February 2008
    I love my new B.I.! I don't know what it is, maybe it's the fact that I don't have to get under the desk, pull the power cord for 10 seconds and plug it back in to get it to boot. Or maybe it's the overclockability? I've bumped up the FSB on my E6600 to 400Mhz and it's running supercool. I hotglued my old P5B NB cooler (A mini-kaze) onto the DFI NB and it seems to be doing it's job. Although I don't trust Smart Guardian, which is telling me my cpu is running at 18Cº. Core Temp gives me 25Cº and 24Cº which still doesn't seem realistic, but anyways... I also installed a Nexus 80mm RealSilent fan on the side, replacing a generic Zalman and so now it also runs quieter. It's incredible the peace of mind and confidence I get with this board. It also runs super fast but thats to be expected with a fresh install of XP. I've yet to install Folding@Home but so far, no complaints, no lockups. I did manage to bork one of my sticks of Mushkin but for some reason, it didn't faze me.. I suppose after 3 months of constantly swapping the ram in and out.. I expected it. Anyways, I'm getting some nice new G.Skill 2X2GB DDR2-1000 to replace it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Core Temp is never wrong. :) It polls information from the CPU itself.

My Core 2 idles at 29C at 3.6GHz.
    edited February 2008
    glad to hear you have had a good experience with the board so far DogSoldier. I have yet to find any complaints myself. Been running a week now with zero issues. Which is good because I was a little worried that I might of had other faulty hardware, but all indications are that my previous problems were a direct result of my old board and nothing else.

wasn't able to get over to my friends house this weekend so I'll be looking to over clock next week :(