What? What Am I? What Am I Playing?

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited April 2008 in D&D Supernerd Heaven
Anyone figure out what their character will be yet, or at least have a rough idea of what they're interested in being?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I'm leaning towards a human cleric, but I'm waffling between that, a druid, and a ranger.

Some of my decision will have to take into account what everybody else is going to be.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I want to be a redguard. I'm thinking of choosing the sign of the Atronach just to make it a challenge.

All kidding aside, I think I will probably play human just to limit the racism directed against my character. Unless CB's island people are racist against humans.
    edited March 2008
    What class are you thinking of, GH?
    edited March 2008
    I am debating whether to pick a Paladin, a class which always appeals to me, or either a Bard or Rogue, two classes which I've never roleplayed before.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I am debating between the Bard and Rogue as well...
    edited April 2008
    Well since it seems somebody will end up playing bard, a druid would be sort of redundant. For now, consider my decision final:

Human Cleric

Not sure about deity yet. CB, any input on pantheon for your campaign? Standard Faerun deities?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    If they're the same as the ones in the PHB, then yes. Most Humans worship Pelor.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Prime's character worships Penor. He erected an obelisk in his honor.
    edited April 2008
    They're not the same. Faerun introduces new and different gods. Do you have the Forgotten Realms campaign book? As far as I know, the gods in the PHB are from Greyhawk.
    edited April 2008
    No, why would I have that? I'm not really interested in prepublished campaign settings.
    edited April 2008
    I thought we had clarified that your campaign take places in the bigger world of Faerun.....

You don't need to keep stating your disdain for prepublished campaign settings - trust me, we know how you feel on this.

I'm not entirely set on Pelor, nor am I entirely set on NG as an alignment. Do you have any alignment restrictions for your particular campaign world? Does your world use your own pantheon or are you satisfied using the "prepublished" greyhawk campaign from the PHB/DMG for your pantheon? o.O
    edited April 2008
    I had planned to make a custom pantheon, but after rereading the pantheon in the PHB, those dieties are so rudamentary, that if I did a custom pantheon, all I would really be doing is giving different names to the dieties that are already in the rulebook, so we'll just use those.

I will however have to add one or two more dieties to the list because it's not quite as complete as I would like. For example: there is not god of the sea in the PHB, So I'll have to come up with a name for one (since no island-based society would be complete without a god of the sea). This, as yet unnamed, god of the sea will be almost as widely worshiped as Pelor.
    edited April 2008
    I figured your island's inhabitants would have their own pantheon that would develop independently from the rulebook's canon...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Faerûn's major deity Umberlee is the bitch queen of the Ocean, playing the role of destructive waves and storms that Poseidon has played at times. Umberlee wrecks sailors, takes lives, and is essentially the force behind "Davy Jones' Locker."

Faerûn's Istishia, the God of Elemental Water, is the embodiment of water itself. Anyone who's read Song of Ice and Fire could easily apply the Drowned God's dogma to Istishia. Istishia is very slow to act, but very powerful.

Lastly amongst general deities comes Valkur, a lesser god of Faerûn, representing oceanic fortune. He's the north star, the calm waters, the strong wind and the loyal crew. He is opposed to Umberlee's destructive ways, and can be seen as Poseidon in his noble moments.

Seldarine (Elven) god Deep Sashelas embodies the beauty of the ocean deep. All its wondrous creatures, the power of the ocean to renew the mind and body, and the embodiment of clarity and temperance through ever-lasting change of self.

But we're not using Faerûn, so...

/me shrugs.

(EDIT: Not snark. Just throwing them out there if you want to use any of them, or smash them together, so people can independently research the rafts of info on these gods. Easy for you.)
    edited April 2008
    I figured your island's inhabitants would have their own pantheon that would develop independently from the rulebook's canon...

Well, I was thinking about that.

The way the rule book presents it these deities have real, tangible, measurable impact on the world that the characters live in, unlike our world, where religion is based entirely on faith. Because of that, it wouldn't really matter how much communication two groups of people have, they would still have the same deities in their firmament.

However, as I said, I'm mostly keeping the ones from the rulebook so as not to need to come up with new names for deities that represent the same basic concepts. That being said, there will be some new deities added to the list and some (like glittergold) whom no one in the islands have heard of.
    edited April 2008
    I think I'm pretty much sold on being a Gnome Sorcerer.
    edited April 2008
    The more I think about it, the more I lean toward Rogue.
    edited April 2008
    Do it GH! Backstab for the win!
    edited April 2008
    So far, tentatively:

Gnome Sorcererr - BJ
    Human Cleric - BA
    Rogue - GH
    Bard - CJ

Anybody want to fill the iron shoes? Tank?
    edited April 2008
    Wasn't Drasnor going to play? Have we heard from him at all on the subject since his initial declaration of interest?
    edited April 2008
    I was asking about him earlier.

DRAS!
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I've never really played a tank before. My first D&D game I played a drake with most of its stats derived from the monster manual. I had to take some major personality quirks to do it (save vs shiny always failed among other things) but it was mostly just incinerating things with my breath weapon, dismembering things with tooth & claw, and flying the party around. The past two games I played had one before I got there so I ended up playing as as a bard or a rogue. That said, I wouldn't mind playing one of your dragon race as a fighter. I'm going to need to know more about the race backstory and stats before I can really decide though. The idea of playing a ronin drake appeals to me but I don't know what you've got in mind for them culturally.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited April 2008
    After thinking about it some more I think I'm going to decide against being a bard... I am leaning towards a paladin or druid now... Not sure which... Race will come after CB posts more about his campaign and his custom races...
    edited April 2008
    I'd like to get at least a final race and class from everyone ASAP, so that I can finish fleshing out the prologue.

If you want to work with me more privately, feel free to PM or email me (icrontic@cbdroege.com), but the other players will likely want to at least know your class, so that they can choose their own.
    edited April 2008
    Human Rogue. ;)

Are we going to be developing the character's age, height, and weight by the random tables in the book or should we decide on our own?
    edited April 2008
    You may decide for yourself. Just leave the main stats to roll with me on Sunday (I'll be on a bit early to get this started, if you'd like to show up sooner than 7)
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Drake Fighter.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited April 2008
    Assuming male, dras?
    edited April 2008
    Elven Cleric of Fharlanghn. Male.
    edited April 2008
    I am going to be a Dwarf Monk, name TBD.