If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

fake network connection?

edcentricedcentric Icrontiannear Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
edited June 2008 in Folding@Home
So the current SMP looks for a network connection or it won't run. I spend long hours (10-15 at a stretch) on airplanes. I have power available (business class please).
Could I buy a small USB powered switch and plug it into my machine (network connection) to make it think that there was a connection. I have run folding when there was a network detected that I couldn't log into, so it doesn't really check.
What do you think?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    no idea, sorry

Interesting question.
  • RyderRyder Icrontian Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Yes, I think so.

But only if you set a static IP, it may not work if there is no IP on the NIC.
  • edited April 2008
    I bet you could make some sort of faker with an RJ45 but not sure how you would wire it up.
    Tried google but not come up with anything so far.
  • edcentricedcentric Icrontian near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I cheated this time. I left the wireless turned on and that was enough for SMP. 7 hours of folding over the Pacific.

Travel tip of the day. Fly EVA business class. It was great.
  • everyguyeveryguy El Cajon, California
    edited June 2008
    I solved this by creating a loopback device. It creates an internal local network connection that the SMP client can use. I had my notebook off the network for a whole day with no problems.

You can find instructions here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1286217
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Right. I installed that on one of my Folders. Loopback adapter really works. I installed on my wife's machine - I never know what goofy thing she's going to do next with her computer.

Sorry, Ed, I should have thought about that when you first posted.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    NICE job finding that info, everyguy!!! :D
  • everyguyeveryguy El Cajon, California
    edited June 2008
    QCH2002 wrote:
    NICE job finding that info, everyguy!!! :D

Thanks. It's the page that helped me out when I had the same problem.