Cannot Get onto Windows "the following file is missing or corrupt?"

edited April 2008 in Hardware
Well here the problem

My brother was using my laptop the other day and pulled out his mobile phone connector resulting in the pc freezing. He hard resarted it and now my laptop is stuck in and endless reboot. I cannot get onto any safe mode or normal windows

When I click the "Last Know Good Configeration" choice I get the error message

"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system"

It says I can attempt to repair this file using this file by starting the Windows Setup using the original CD-Rom.

I found this solution on the microsoft website

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

The problem is I don't have a original CD-ROM becuase my system restores on the hard drive. I have tried doing this using the Compaq recovery tool but have had no luck. There are other advanced options I could use on the compaq recovery but they would result in me loosing the data.

Does anyone know if it is possible to download the files to make my own Windows Setup CD-Rom and burn it to disk from my main computer?

Anyone have any ideas?

Any help much appriciated i_smile.gif

edit: The model is a Compaq Presario 3000 and it runs Windows XP media centre edition 2005

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    What operating system does your laptop have? Windows XP? If so, can you borrow a Windows XP installation CD (not a restore disk) from a friend?
  • edited April 2008
    It is windows XP, is it ok to use the XP insallation CD if it did not come with your PC? Will this affect anything?
    edited April 2008
    If you wanted to perform a full Windows XP installation with a retail XP CD, yes, it might cause problems. But let's not get into that right now.

If you can borrow a Windows XP installation CD, there are repair operations we can try with your existing, broken Windows installation on your laptop.

Repair Windows XP in Eight Commands - this has saved many, many of us from having to perform complete re-installations. It worked perfectly for me with a desktop that had nearly the identical problem you have described.
  • edited April 2008
    If I was to borrow a Windows XP installation CD would it have to be for Windows XP media centre edition 2005?

edit: I read here that I can make my own installation disc using files found on the PC I'm on now (Windows XP Home Edition). Could I use a Home Edition Disc to repair my Media Centre Addition?
    edited April 2008
    Yes, you can use any Windows XP series installation CD for the repair steps specified in the 8-command article.

How can you make a CD from the files on your hard drive if you cannot boot into Windows?
  • edited April 2008
    I'm on my other computer, I was talking about burning a disc using the files on the computer I'm on now to use a intallation disc on my laptop
    edited April 2008
    Oh, sorry, I honestly don't know. Someone here will probably know.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    Pfft, the site he linked was ask-leo.com ......some website you have Leonardo...:D

To do the 8 step repair linked above any XP disk will do.
  • edited April 2008
    A friend just told me this
    Before running out and borrowing a windows xp repair disk there is one little thing that has to be taken into account, the product ID and it has to match the install disk you are using and I bet your OEM HP/Compaq will have a fit and not work.

Could anyone confirm or deny this please, I don't want to make the problem any worse and mess up my genuine windows xp

He reccomended buying this recovery disc "System Recovery Kit for C300EA Notebook XP Home - SP2 english" from HP
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Andy1990 wrote:
    I friend just told me this

Could anyone confirm or deny this please, I don't want to make the problem any worse and mess up my genuine windows xp

He reccomended buying this recovery disc "System Recovery Kit for C300EA Notebook XP Home - SP2 english" from HP

That would be the case if you end up needing to do a repair install and use your existing key, but we're only talking about using the recovery console.
    edited April 2008
    Your friend is partially correct. There may be problems if you wish to COMPLETELY RE-INSTALL WINDOWS from another CD. The link we posted is to REPAIR your existing Windows installation, NOT to reinstall it. ANY Windows XP installation CD should work for the 8-command operation we linked.

Hey, I'm not being condescending, I just want to make sure you understand. Do you understand that at this stage we are not asking you to reinstall Windows?
    edited April 2008
    Mason, don't confuse him! Many users don't know the difference between a "repair installation" and simply "repair" Windows.

Andy, we just want to repair your Windows, not to reinstall it. Are you with us?
  • edited April 2008
    I'm with you :)

Ok I've borrowed a windows xp installation disc and I've followed the eight step method but I get this message once I have pressed "r" on the setup.
    Setup did not find any hard disc drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disc-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacture-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, press F3

I've used the PheonixBIOS setup utility to do a primary hard disk self test by pressing F10. The results are as follows
    (S.M.A.R.T)

100% Complete

(Quick) Pass
    (Comprehensive) Pass
    (S.M.A.R.T) Pass

Anyone have any ideas of where to go from here?

edit: a friend has told me that there is a site where I can buy HP/Compaq recovery discs. Do I really need to fork out £30 quid to do this? I don't mind paying if I have to but I don't want to waste it
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    There is a step before you press r where you have to install your harddrive drivers. Do you have a floppy with these drivers?
  • edited April 2008
    I don't have a floppy disc with the drivers

I've tried contacting HP about the problem and they have told me to
    • Remove and Resit the Hard Drive
    • Reset Bios
    • and Perform a Non-Destructive Recovery
    I have done this and the problem still persists

I contacted HP again about the problem and they have told me to to perform a Destructive recovery.

Before I did this though I was woundering if I could recover any of my files from my hard drive? Is this possible, how can I do this?

I'm only really concerned about my work documents but it would be nice to be able to get my other files from the hard drive as well.
    edited April 2008
    If you have access to another working computer, you could install the drive and probably access it to copy over files to the other computer's good drive. Then you could again copy those files to DVD/CD or an external hard drive, to then be added back to your computer once it's running again.

Do you have more than one partition on your hard drive? If I am correct, when you perform the "destructive recover" that should only be on the C:\ partition.
  • edited April 2008
    I do have a drive called something like the D:\ Compaq Recovery Drive if thats what you mean

How would I go about installing the hard drive onto my working PC, it wouldn't effect this PC would it?

Would I need to buy any equipment to allow me to connect the hard drive to my PC?

edit: Like this?