MY COMPUTER HAS SLOWED DOWN

edited June 2008 in Hardware
Greetings,

My computer has slowed down a lot. How do I fix this issue?

thanks

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Please give us more information about your problem.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited May 2008
    Computer specs?
    Any recently installed software or hardware?
    When did this start?
    etc...
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    As general slowness troubleshooting: empty your recycle bin, increase the size of your swapfile, run a virus scanner, run a spyware finder, defrag, and dust out the inside of the case.
  • edited May 2008
    Trogan wrote:
    Computer specs?
    Any recently installed software or hardware?
    When did this start?
    etc...

No recently installed software or hardware

CPU: Intel Pentium 4

Processor spped: 2.8 GHZ

OS version: Win XP SP 2

Motherboard make/model: Intel D865GBF

Chipset: Intel 865G.

Ram:1gb
  • edited May 2008
    CB wrote:
    As general slowness troubleshooting: empty your recycle bin, increase the size of your swapfile, run a virus scanner, run a spyware finder, defrag, and dust out the inside of the case.

how do i increase the size of my swapfile
  • edited May 2008
    I noticed the problem a weekor so ago.
  • edited May 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Please give us more information about your problem.

what more would you like to know?
    edited May 2008
    how do i increase the size of my swapfile

attachment.php?attachmentid=25379&stc=1&d=1210651741
  • UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    This one's a gimme. What you're gonna wanna do is locate the internet vent. Then take some chunky peanut butter and work it in until it's flush with the surface. This will prime your load caches and boost your desktop wallpaper.

"But, UPSKingpin, now my internet vent is filled with peanut butter."

Not a problem, because you can pop that peanut butter right out with a golf stick.

And you're done.
  • garfield619garfield619 Philippines New
    edited May 2008
    wow nc reply. very meaningful kingpin. that was a lot of help. ahh the irony..

batchmister, try to make your swap file:
    initial size (MB) : 2000
    maximum size (MB): 4000
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Do not manually set a page file size for Windows. It is best left to manage its own size.
    edited May 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Do not manually set a page file size for Windows. It is best left to manage its own size.

I'm not gonna argue with you about it, but I've found that, personally, to not be true. Just sayin'...
  • edited May 2008
    most people run 2 kinds of antivirus programs try uninstalling one

granted this applies to u:D
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited May 2008
    I use manually set page files all the time. Mine's set to 3072 - 4095 for two reasons. Waiting for the automatic page file to expand takes forever, and I've got the disk space to waste. If his computer has slowed down; he might wanna try doing some general cleanup, such as anti-spyware tests and such of that nature along with a good, healthy defrag.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited May 2008
    Yep, i agree with thrax, windows is better at managing its page file to suit its needs.

just like windows xp memory management is the best and no other ram management program will speed you up.

I would make sure your up to date with antivirus and spyware definitions then run some scans. if anything is found then hopefull it should remove it.

Also after thats done ide run an online scanner like panda activescan.

that will proberly find somthing that your own scanner didn't.
    After thats done get c cleaner, do a cleanup, reg scan, and then delete any crap that you may have on your hd, after all that defrag.

im sure someone else will tell you maleware removal in a much more advanced way than i do =)

good luck.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    maleware removal
    That simply makes me cringe! All he asked for was a little computer help. And what does he get from you?
    edited May 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    That simply makes me cringe! All he asked for was a little computer help. And what does he get from you?

Im not sure what you mean there...

I was thinking that prehaps he has some sort of infection which has slowed his computer down recently thats all, When your computer just suddenly slows down theres usually somthing thats causing it so i thought that it could be some sort of infection.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    mail - the post
    mal - prefix meaning not right, not good
    male - as opposed to female

maleware - a new word for male genitalia

"maleware removal" - a new term for castration
    edited May 2008
    Hehe,

i didn't think of it that way :P.

i meant malware as in malicious software.
  • edited June 2008
    I tried everything in this post. My computer starts faster.

Is my new issue related?

I have had playback issues with Pro Tools 7.1. I received these errors when attempting to play a song that I composed in Pro Tools:

DAE Error 6
    DAE Error 87
    DAE is having trouble keeping up. Your disc could be too slow or too fragmented. A firewire disk could be having trouble do to the extra firewire bandwidth or CPU load. (-9019)

A moderator in a Pro Tools forum told me that it may be a "hard drive problem."

1. What should I do?

2. How would I know if my hard drive were dying?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    for lack of other ideas post a screen shot of the processes that are running in task manager sorted by memory usage, to screen shot just the window ctrl+alt+printeScreen. Other wise if you have it turned on you can always try and do a windows roll back.