Building my first gaming PC, have a high budget. Need Help :)

Comments

• BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited June 2008
    So without water cooling the performance from the extreme processor would be kinda pointless? Since I think its the same but it has a unlocked multiplier

I also hear they run hotter than the Q9450
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Any 9x series quad-core is probably cut from the same silicon. They'll hit the same clockspeeds.
    edited June 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Any 9x series quad-core is probably cut from the same silicon. They'll hit the same clockspeeds.

So the purpose of anyone buying those xtreme ones, are because of the unlocked multiplier? And I am guessing they are pretty much ment to be water cooled. I heard they run hot.
    edited June 2008
    About DDR3 Ram also... What should I look for, I know my mobo supports DDR3 2000
    is that the fastest currently out there?
    edited June 2008
    Well I think this thread is done, thanks everyone for the replies.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    it is never dead. Past 1600 is actually out of Spec but there is no reason to buy the 1600, you are going to hit a max fsb of 1900 with the 9450. If you run your bus at a one to one then you are running 900MHz
    edited June 2008
    Taking this thread in a new directions, do you guys think buying a 5,000 dollar computer setup right now is a hot idea?

I am saying this because of Nehalem processor coming out soon, so it would be foolish to buy this rig no?
    edited June 2008
    Nehalem won't be out in any significant volume -- or with reasonable prices -- until the middle of 2009. If you buy a respectable setup now, you would only have to change your motherboard and CPU when the Nehalem is released. It uses a new socket. You could transplant everything else.
    edited June 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Nehalem won't be out in any significant volume -- or with reasonable prices -- until the middle of 2009. If you buy a respectable setup now, you would only have to change your motherboard and CPU when the Nehalem is released. It uses a new socket. You could transplant everything else.

True but by the time Nehalem hits, DDR 3 Prices and gtx 280 prices should come down quite a bit. Plus new hardware might come out like sound cards, cases, all that good stuff.

I don't know, I think I will just wait for now.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Bubbleman wrote:
    True but by the time Nehalem hits, DDR 3 Prices and gtx 280 prices should come down quite a bit. Plus new hardware might come out like sound cards, cases, all that good stuff.

I don't know, I think I will just wait for now.

Yes, but then DDR4 will be right around the corner and the GTX 380 will be released, and Intel's new chipset will be the new bad boy on the block, and the new motherboards will have SATA 6.0Gbps, and........................................................................................
    edited June 2008
    Haha yeah guess you have a point...

But still if nehalem becomes the new standard for atleast 2 years it would be best to wait, since it is a new socket on the mobo.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I could certainly be wrong, but I doubt we'll see a Nehalem for less than $1000 until late spring of 2009.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2008
    Totally. I'd build now, sit on it for a year, measure upgrade cost and then see if it's actually worth it. I was still playing games in high when I had my video card. My processor is just now reaching it's limit, but still providing everything I need.

The only advice I have for you is regardless of what chip or board, make sure your bus is designed for what you want to do.
    edited June 2008
    What full tower cases can you guys recommend for air cooling?

I don't mind spending $400 on a really nice case since I already measured it fits well within my budget.

I am struggling with Cosmos S, Stacker 832, Silverstone TJ07... but I am not sure which is outstanding for air flow. Maybe not any of these, the cosmos biometric power button doesn't appeal to me. And the width of Stacker 832 isn't big enough for most heatsinks.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Silverstone TJ07 or Lian Li V1000 or v2000.
    edited June 2008
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']Silverstone TJ07 or Lian Li V1000 or v2000.

Yeah I wasn't sure if you need like 4 fans blowing at the mobo like the stacker 832 I mean I think it helps but some of these cases like the TJ07 use the separate compartment cooling type of system.

I like the look of the TJ07 looks like a solid case.
    edited July 2008
    Hey guys, you know since I will be building this PC. I was thinking because I do have a 42" 1080P Samsung hdtv that I play my PS3 on... I think I might aswell make a home theater setup and game on the tv.

So I need to know what resolution would a 42" screen have?
    edited July 2008
    If you use HDMI, you can use 1920x1080.
    edited October 2008
    Hey guys I am going to revive this thread because I am debating a build around the same budget and also still have more questions which I think this is also a good question thread without me opening 20 threads and flooding the forum.

1. Obviously I have never built a computer, so I don't know the first thing that would happen when you turn on the computer... It goes to BIOS on the mobo right? And how do I configure BIOS, any guides?

2. If I ran some Seagates say 500GB (or less storage) 32MB Cache 7200 RPM in raid 0 (it would be cheaper) Probably same price as a velociraptor. Would that be the same performance if not better than slapping my operating system and games on a 10k velociraptor (no raid) and use a seagate for storage? Or will it matter at all.

3. Would it be stupid to build a 2,500 computer with a Q9550 proccessor with nehalem this close... OK OK I know I wanted to wait but I also didn't have all the money at the time. I will be using this computer for gaming, and video editing. This build will have 1 HD Radeon 4870 X2. Ok I read my previous posts, yeah... Well I might just build now then. :P Still would like some insight.

I'll post my specs later... currently still working on them.

Thanks
    edited October 2008
    1. The computer boots up, does a Power On Self Test (POST) to evaluate the condition of the hardware, then looks for an OS to boot. You don't need to tweak the BIOS (usually accessed by hitting delete as the PC is starting), but you can if you wanted to. You'll probably just want to put an OS CD in, install the OS, and worry about the BIOS later.

2. It will be about the same speed IIRC, but you'd need a third drive for backups if you wanted to go with RAID0. RAID guarantees 100% data loss if it fails without backups.

3. I would say $2500 is a high with Nehalem this close, but I'd also say it's a little high no matter what time of the year it is. Keep in mind that with Nehalem you'll need a new CPU, new mobo and new RAM (DDR3). You can keep your chip cheap with a dual core, and buy a <$150 motherboard, and 4GB of RAM for about $100. You'd be out about an additional $500 to upgrade those components for Nehalem, but it won't be viable until the mid-summer anyhow. The remainder of your components will move over to the new rig.
    edited October 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick_Tock

Yeah I can just skip Nehalem, I am sure my computer will last fine for about 2 years then whatever die shrink they have then I will go with it.

Also DDR3 is still expensive although much cheaper but I bet in 2 years... it will be about same prices as DDR2 maybe a bit more.

Now as for DDR2 ram what should I look for gaming and media computer? The amount and speed... ect. Heres the mobo and processor I am going to use...

Mobo: ASUS Rampage Formula Intel X48
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131284

Proc: Q9550
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041&Tpk=Q9550
    edited October 2008
    4GB of PC2-8000 is the sweet spot in price/performance right now.
    edited October 2008
    Is there any downfalls in performance if I just go with 8gb for the hell of it?

And whats some good brands of ram I should go for.. I have OCZ right now but G skill seems to be popular.
    edited October 2008
    No downfalls, but it's completely and absolutely pointless. OCZ and G.SKILL are both good, but you can get support for your lifetime warranty with OCZ right here on Icrontic. :)
    edited October 2008
    Whats this difference of the P45 chipset and X48 intel chipsets?
    edited October 2008
    That's best looked up in Wikipedia. They are small but numerous. I hate to short you with an answer like that, but it would just be me copying what it had to say.

//EDIT: What I will say is that the P45 is a better value. Generally more overclockable, and no shortage of features.
    edited October 2008
    intro1az9.jpg

Here is the computer I am planning to build, I haven't ordered the parts yet. My budget is $2,500.

Case: HAF 932 Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...119160&Tpk=HAF

Mobo: Maximus II Formula
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20II%20Formula

CPU: Q9550 (I am planning to lap this, so I have the grits already ect)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115041

Heatsink: TRUE Ultra-120 Extreme (Also lapping this)

Video Card: 4870 X2 (not sure which brand yet, suggestions?)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814103066

RAM: 8GB G. Skill 1066 DDR2 RAM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231166

Will these modules even work in my Mobo? I downloaded my manual and it only suggests 4GB...

Power Supply: Antec 850Watt PSU or the 750Watt Corsair PSU?
    Antec: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371009
    Corsair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

Hard Drives: 2x 150GB Velociraptors in raid 0 for operating systems and programs... and a 750 GB Seagate for storage.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136296

Fans: Need suggestions, Probably need 6, 120MM Fans. One for the CPU heatsink (maybe 2 actually) 4 for the side door. Hell maybe 7. Need powerful ones for the cpu and maybe less powerful but quiet for the door on the case.

Sound Card: Suggestions? Auzentech?

Fan Controller: ??? What should I go for.

Optical: DVD-ROM SAMSUNG Drive with lightscribe

Thermal Paste: ??? What should I use, OCZ Freeze? Or any better?

Mouse: G9, and Steel series mouse pad.

Vista Ultimate OEM.

Questions

1. What fan controller should I get?

2. Thermal Paste? Which?

3. What Sound card should I get?

4. If I want to go cross fire I should go with the rampage formula but it has 65nm process. But if I want a single setup the maximus should shine supreme with its 45nm process correct? It should be the better mobo for a single GPU solution?

I am going a single GPU solution because usually the benefits of multiple GPU's are minimal especially with going AIR and overclocking its still a bottleneck on one card. Unless your phase changing I would think its a bottle neck even with 2 cards let alone one.

5. If I lap my true, CPU, good thermal paste, good tight pressure, I should get 3.6 GHZ on air?

I am going to skip Nehalem and wait for a die shrink or the next architecture.

I want this PC to last a good 2.5 years.

Thanks, Appreciate any feedback and replies.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    I wouldn't lap that TRUE.

Fan controllers, depends on how many fans and what you want it to look like. There are the Lamptron fan controllers that are 5 switch and the Lian-Li switches(have cool covers) are pretty sweet looking. The Lian-Li are just plane switches you have to do the wiring.

Thermal paste...something good. Arctic Silver 5.

Sound card Asus Xonar, Auzentech is built almost identical but the support isn't the same and Xonar's are nice I want one.

The mobo....eh whatever won't make to much of a difference.

3.6 is not an issue I am actually running 3.7GHz on air and that just pushed my vCore a few thousandths out of spec.
    edited October 2008
    None of those links work....
    edited October 2008
    Hmmm your right... Lol well you get the picture.

K why wouldn't I lap the true? The base isn't smooth.